New Member intro

Hi All,  I just learned yesterday that I'm inheriting a 31 Stude coupe. The car belongs to my uncle, and he's decided that he will never get to it. It's been in the family for years. I believe my uncle bought it from the original owner. I know the car hasn't been run in 50 years, and I'm hoping that the engine and transmission are free. I've never had anything this old, and I know I'll have many question recommissioning this car. My plans are to get it mechanically sound and enjoy it. Not sure what model it is, but I believe it's a six cylinder engine.

I see that York PA is hosting it's last swap meet this coming weekend. I will be there on Thursday, because that's the only day I can make it. Hopefully that won't just be a set up day for vendors. I plan on going to make some contacts for the future.  I will also be hitting the next Hershey, as that too is a close drive for me.

Any advice is welcome. I will be picking the car up when the weather gets a little warmer, and I have a spot in the garage for it. Please point me in the direction of any parts vendor info, other web sites that are active, and other pertinate info that you think I can use. I hope to be active on this site, and hopefully will make many new friends.  TIA - Tom

Definitely need to nail down the model. If it is a '31 Six as you state it would be the model 54. Have lots of data on that series but you should be aware that very little interchanges with the other three cars in that model year, the President, Commander and Dictator, all Eights.

coupe in snow copy.jpg

Coupe wilson summary.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and tips!  I will post pictures as soon as I'm able.  The garage where the car resides now needs to be cleaned out before the car can be removed.  One quick note: I do believe the car has a 'golf club' door.  Would that eliminate it being a six, or did the entire range get that option? I believe it a rumble seat car too.  Maybe I will pay my uncle a visit in the very near future to clarify what it really is.  Thanks again!

Ok - stopped by and talk to my Uncle. He refers to it as a Commander Six. The photo above of the black car pretty much nails what it looks like. Couldn't get to the right side, but no golf club door, and it has a trunk. I guess I was remembering alternate facts! 

Well, your photos are not the greatest but it does confirm that the car is a 1931 Model 54 Studebaker Six coupe (tell your uncle not a Commander which was an Eight). That radiator cap ornament is not original to the car. I note that it has a radio antenna but likely not original radio since the '31 cars had the radio antenna tied into the chicken wire in the top and not mounted on the cowl. The vent wings were a rare option especially on an economy car. Does not appear to have side mounts so guessing it has a trunk and no rumble seat (I now see you have confirmed that). If you need some specific documentation let me know. Next time you are in the garage get the body number off the fire wall tag (starts with 54) and the serial number off the right front frame rail.