47 Super Convertible Torque ball leak

ernee0722

Ok, I have searched to my best ability for info on the 47 but everything  is for later years and it looks like this is one of the biggest problems with these closed dynaflow torque ball systems.

I have a leak that is a little more than I care to have but not terrible. I have read these leaks can contaminate the diff. fluid, Is this the case with the 47?

I have looked at parts on many websites and almost everything is for 48 and up. Any recommendations for parts?

Is it worth it to do this repair and how long do they last if done correctly?

Can the car be pushed around after this is started or is the diff. removed?

Is there any other things I should replace other than the obvious if I should do this.

I have done a nut and bolt restoration on a 67 mustang 25 yrs ago but this older stuff is a little different but I'm sure I can get it done.

Any info on what I should get as manuals, parts, etc. on or any of my other questions would be great.

As I stated before, I just got this a few weeks ago and just finished a color sanding and buffing. Seems to be in pretty nice shape except for a few things here and there.

Needs a good going over before I take it too far from home.

Thanks for any advice or info you guys can give.

Reduced.thumb.JPG.f13552ccef045e38ab4fe23ee81cb3df.JPGIMG_0637.thumb.JPG.b5d9272e0e5ccdc74ebec9bb925968ad.JPG

Reduced.thumb.JPG.f13552ccef045e38ab4fe23ee81cb3df.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

• Like 5

ernee, the "can contaminate the diff" is for a Buick with Dynaflow transmission. It is an internal leak past a seal on the driveshaft  [ pilot shaft ] that lets ATF run down the torque tube to the differential. 

You say the leak is a little more than you care to have. We all have different tolerances for oil leaks. Maybe a little description of the amount.  A drip or two over night.  A puddle over night.  How big a drip or puddle?  Perhaps slide a pan underneath after a drive and show a picture here.  Often times, if the car has not been driven much, the leak will lessen as it is driven more.  Let us see and we WILL advise.  

The job of repairing is not too difficult. And the '47 is little if any difference from  from later. You need a Buick Shop Manual. They are readily available, if not an original then a "copied" one.

Ben

• Like 4

First Born,

Thanks for the info, the leak would be about a 7 inch circle puddle overnight. It has little 2 inch puddle every time I stop for any length of time and I have been driving it about 4 times for about 70 miles in the last 2 weeks.

Just drove it today and will look tomorrow morning and get a pic if I remember. Its manual trans so wouldn't be ATF. Can it be moved after this is started in case I have to reorder parts or some surprise. I'll have 

it in a friends shop so I want know if it would be in that spot and for how long. If I order all the parts right it shouldn't be too long.

Ernee,

Your Buick sure looks to be a 1947, but Dynaflow was not offered until 1948.  My guess is that your car has a 1948 to 1952 transmission an possibly engine as well.  Determine what you have and buy the torque ball seal for it.  You can do the replacement in your shop.  You will need to lift the car on 4 jack stands under the car on the frame.  Disconnect the shock links and the panhard bar.  The rear end will now swing side to side on the springs.  Unbolt the torque tube from the transmission.  Hook a come-a-long to the rear end and to something stationary (another vehicle's trailer hitch.) and pull the rear end back about 3-4 inches.  You will have enough room to change the seal.  Reverse to install.  You should have it done in half a day at the most.

• Like 1

Great! Sounds easy, Now just determine the engine and tranny and get the parts coming. Manual is on the way.

Any special tools I need to come up with? Also, any tips on determining what year the engine and tranny are?

Thanks again guys!

61polara is correct.  I changed my clutch on my 53 Special by using a bumper jack and pushing the rear end back, if I had it to do it over I would use a come- a-long it would be a lot safer.

I don't know why I used Dynaflow torque ball in my explanation ,I guess I read about it and thought the 2 were connected, I have 3 sd manual with a torqueball leak.

Just getting to know about these old Buick, I now know Dynaflow is a automatic but thought it pertained to the enclosed drive shaft system,

Live and learn

• Like 3

Jacking it back is an old flat rate mechanic trick to beat the clock. Most commonly it could help sneak in a reverse strut arm in less than an hour on the Dynaflow cars.

I don't think it is worth pushing all the 70 year old parts in the direction they weren't supposed to go and there are a lot of things you can do with the rear end rolled out.

Not speculating here, just a "do as I do" thing.

It's not that hard.

019.thumb.JPG.3fc52a0c69308d1fee896be4b7ec309d.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ernee0722 said:

I don't know why I used Dynaflow torque ball in my explanation ,I guess I read about it and thought the 2 were connected, I have 3 sd manual with a torqueball leak.

Just getting to know about these old Buick, I now know Dynaflow is a automatic but thought it pertained to the enclosed drive shaft system,

Live and learn

I have a 54 with 3 speed.  Pulling the rear is easy.  Tip, once you unbolted the shock arms, hard pan, coils and nuts/bolts where it is secured to the transmission level the rear using a floor jack under the axle.  Pull back gently.  The key is keeping the entire torque tube level with the transmission.  It should come apart without a come along.  It did on my 54.  Now, the 90 weight gear oil dripping from the manual trans,  mine was coming from the input shaft.   The clutch got covered in gear oil.  You should consider replacing the clutch while in there.       

I jacked up all four corners.   Pulled the axle far enough back to get the transmission out.  Maybe 10 inches.  No need to pull the entire torque tube if you don't need to.   

IMAG0741_zps7a38f2f1.jpg  

Basically what it looks like apart. 

IMAG0742_zps48bdd2e4.jpg

Get a vulcanized torque ball seal.   Drive happy! 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Some of my best work used to be done on a gravel or crushed rock driveway.  Not any more, got to be smooth under foot now.  It's also interesting how much lower my car is to the ground than it was half a century ago.

Lots of good info here and many different Ideas, Thanks a lot guys for the input.

I checked my engine today and the number is 499572I-5,,  I believe it is a 47,,,,,,,,So a vulcanized torque ball seal is all I need?

I'm thinking I may need more than that,

57 minutes ago, ernee0722 said:

Lots of good info here and many different Ideas, Thanks a lot guys for the input.

I checked my engine today and the number is 499572I-5,,  I believe it is a 47,,,,,,,,So a vulcanized torque ball seal is all I need?

I believe you are right.  I think you'll also need:

the drive shaft seal at the transmission end of the torque tube ( may come with the torque ball seal above) .

The pinion seal at the pinion entrance to the rear axle carrier.

The seals and bearings for both rear axles.

If the fluid is building up in the rear end then the fluid is traveling down the torque tube to the rear end and the pinion seal is allowing the fluid in the torque tube to  pass into the rear axle.

Now, keep in mind that you may not be having this problem to this extent.  After all, how many quarts of lubricant are there in that manual transmission?  You may simply have lubricant splashing in the rear axle and by passing the one axle seal that is leaking.  The question is have you opened the fill port on the rear axle to see if lubricant is leaking out at that location when the car is level?   If it isn't leaking out of the fill port,  then chances are you simply have splash in the rear axle.  But if it does flow out, AND if your trans is also significantly low on lubricant, THEN you  need all of this stuff. 

The good news may be that the trans and rear axle use the same lubricant. So other than potentially low fluid in the trans, chances are nothing in the way of the gears was exposed to significant damage.

• Like 1

Even with a bad seal it takes a bit to get the transmission flud into the differential housing.

RR8.thumb.jpg.27147c0758b7d0cb4b6a3fa33bd84501.jpg

I would hate to have someone hand me a quart of 90W and tell me to top off the rear through the torque tube.

RR6.thumb.jpg.0e251a9552cd83fe3d83343ab8c018e3.jpg

The important part, after 70 years, is that u-joint just aft of the square flange. Mine had no rollers in one cup and hardly gave any indication of a problem. It looks like a big job, but I did that one in 2011. The time it took was small compared to all the other stuff over the last 6 years.

Bernie

13 hours ago, ernee0722 said:

Depends on how far you want to go.   Vulcanized seal for the torque ball.  Seal for the opening of the torque tube at the mating of the tube and torque ball.  In my picture above of the splined drive shaft there is a seal there.   Now, the gear oil in the manual is the same as the rear axle.  If some leaks in it will not ruin the rear end like ATF does from leaking Dynaflow transmission.  I simply drained the very old nasty gear oil in the rear.  Made a gasket and refilled.   I did not need to go any further as my axles are not leaking at the outer seals behind the drum brake backing plates.    

As a side note, no matter how much sealant used and gaskets cut there will always be a drop of gear oil on the garage floor every now and then.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I know a fellow who did Dynaflow repairs for many years in a Buick dealership.  He has a jack that has a screw that separates the two end sections.  One end fits into the cross section in the frame and the other has a hole to be fastened in place on the lowest bolt in the rear end housing.   The handle is ratcheted turning the screw that separates the two ends.   Slowly but safely it moves the rear end back far enough to remove the transmission or service the torque ball seals.  Of course, the emergency brake cable, both shock links, one end of Panhard bar and possibly one end of service brake hose are removed first.

If I had a continuing use I would offer to buy it if he still has it.   He is long retired now.   Maybe it was a jack offered by Buick to their dealers.

Joe

If your car is a true 1947 with a 3 speed manual tranny, the leak at the back of the transmission is an easy fix.   That year torque ball used a cork seal that was tapered.  Bobs Automobilia has a repair kit that includes a neoprene tapered seal.

You can either follow the instructions in the shop manual, or if you want to do it the quick and dirty way then:

1. remove the 6 bolts holding the torque ball retainer to the torque ball.

2. slide retainer back and remove the broken-shot tapered seal.

3. Cut the new seal  and put it around the driveshaft in front of the  retainer and make sure the bevel is faced forward.

4.  Super glue the seal back together, stick it in the outer retainer and put it back together.    

Don't breathe a word to anyone as to how you fixed the leak. :)

• Like 1

Pretty sure its a true 47, title shows 82,550 actual miles, a few more now since driving it, the engine number is 499572I-5 and from what I can find on the net, that is a 47 engine so

gonna take a chance and say its a true 47. Also is that a tried and tested method? I presume it is and if thats the case, I'm not a poker player but I'm all in.:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the torque ball seal changed out and I did it on a hoist using the come a long method. If you've never done it, and this is on a 47 Buick Super, it is a little slow and takes a bit of thinking but its not too hard. Next time is easy and having

a hoist is nice so you don't have to spend the time on a creeper. The adjustable rod pictured in  my last post is just a stabilizer and is installed last with no pressure put on it either way. I used 3M scotchbrite Roloc surface conditioning disks on a air tool to polish the torque ball and inner and outer retainers, it did a nice job.