impacsys

26 S70 windshield bottom weather stripping

I am replace all weather stripping on the car. I ordered the windshield rubber from Steele Rubber. What they sent doesn't have a grove for the window to set in. It is a flat surface with an outer lip bending up. Is this correct? sketch is attached....

~OTLIOVI001F.PDF

Does this window open outwards? If so, that could work. It would close against the upstand on the right of your diagram.

no, window does not open at all. maybe what they sold me was for a windshield that opens? i am thinking to have lip on outside then add something between the dash board and window to hold it secure. thoughts?

3 hours ago, impacsys said:

no, window does not open at all. maybe what they sold me was for a windshield that opens? i am thinking to have lip on outside then add something between the dash board and window to hold it secure. thoughts?

Did your windshield originally have a crank above it that would lift the windshield an inch or two for ventilation? If so, that would be the correct rubber application. If the windshield is not openable at all as you say, then you need a channel deep enough to insert the edge of the glass into.

This is what keiser31 is referring to. Its off my 28 Chrysler 62, I removed it to allow for an electric wiper motor.

IMG_3427.thumb.JPG.ec0c3fe85c1c0ad950aeb4372f3205d4.JPG

IMG_3425.thumb.JPG.8fddce97f3a85b50d13cdfaae252ab44.JPG

IMG_3426.thumb.JPG.d8dad2a8c05683a861c022097a0b9b20.JPG

i'll be damned.... have always wondered what the crank in the head liner was for. now I know..... a previous owner must have modified. will try to restore to original , stay tuned :)

after sleeping on it, I would like to keep the fixed glass, not have it open. Does anyone know what model had this so I can order the rubber?

Here are photos of a fossilized section of the Model 70 sedan windshield lower seal.

The raised part is at the rear,  the glass sits on the rubber above the top 2 holes in the first photo.

003.JPG

005.JPG

28 Chrysler, Fossilized is right :) The one I ordered from Steele Rubber is like that. However, I think I want to stay with a fix windshield thus the need to find a rubber with a center track. Still looking.....

C Carl, No I the glass is not safety. Where can I get one or do I have to have it custom made?

The safety glass will not be all that expensive to have made. It will be a bit thicker than the original plate , so plan for that. Replacement on cars with lifting windshields is generally relatively easy. A body manual for your car will give specifics. I am sure some guys here have done this on identical cars also. The difficult windshields are the open cars. With the glass stopped into the frames with ancient brittle solidified gaskets , it can keep you busy for longer than you might prefer. Reconsider the opportunity to fix the windshield lift mechanism. The ventilation by way of variations of windshield/side glass openings is quite effective. If you need to do some driving before the glass transplant , you can cut a plastic "windshield shield" and attach it with 5 or 6 suction cups. I am among those who advocate for driving slowly and defensively with ancient cars. They are capable of speeds in excess of of their braking/handling abilities. At best , these cars are deathtraps. But , oh what fun ! Like a fountain of youth for me ! I feel so lucky that I am still able to drive them.  - Carl

To confirm if its safety glass or not, tap it with a key or coin, it will sound dull. Unlike plate glass, which will have a much high tone.

Compare the sound to the door window glass.

I am proud to say, SUCCESS!!!

The windshield now opens :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Without it never would have happened........

Next project Dashboard. It is getting powered coated as well as several firewall items.

IMG_20170311_174555.jpg

IMG_20170311_174641.jpg

WoW! It goes up higher than I thought they did.

Congratulations! Looks perfect.