How many cars did Sears make??

nick8086

After studying the above link I would say one. That 'Sears model K'

The 1950s offering was an Allstate. Unless of coarse it was really a 'Sears Allstate'. Then it would be two.

Juuusst kidding around....

Nick, according to the Encyclopedia of Motor Cars the Sears Motor Car Works was located in Chicago IL and produced cars from 1906 thru 1911. Their total production run was about 3500 cars. They made a brief return to the automobile industry in 1952 with the Allstate built by the Kaiser-Frazier Corp. in Willow Run, MI.

If you're asking haw many different designs, the above is correct...

If you're asking how many different MODELS of their Highwheeler, Std Cat lists several...

G---the basic vehicle

H---plus fenders and top

J---fenders, top and runningboards

K---the "J" but with "cushion tires"

L---the "K" with pneumatic tires

M (1911) was only described as having as having a "cozy coupe top"

The car was supposedly successful except for the minor problem that Sears was losing money on each sale...

I'd always understood the Allstate was a rebadged Henry J...

Allstate was Sears longtime brand name for it's auto parts and accessories...I've still got an "Allstate" 6V battery mouldering in the basement, should have a grease can or two, and just saw two-three Allstate Auto Parts catalogs upstairs.

18 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Nick, according to the Encyclopedia of Motor Cars the Sears Motor Car Works was located in Chicago IL and produced cars from 1906 thru 1911. Their total production run was about 3500 cars. They made a brief return to the automobile industry in 1952 with the Allstate built by the Kaiser-Frazier Corp. in Willow Run, MI.

Thanks,

That Sears Motor Buggy catalog reprint does not show any production figures in it at all.

Craig

Bud, you are probably correct, as the article also states that the only difference between the Allstate and the Henry J, are the "grill and it's heraldry". They both used the same drive train and body. I guess by just changing the grill made them different cars. Sort of like putting a Mercedes grill on an Edsel. I have a Model A 19" wheel in my garage with an Allstate tire on it.