1956 Sonomatic Restoration

Beemon

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

radios that had an electomagnet powered by B+ voltage.

What is B+ voltage?

Edit:  Cancel my request.  I looked it up on Google. Unless the internet is wrong, it  is the voltage right at the positive battery terminal. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

A voltage is the input DC voltage to the vibrator. B+ voltage is the voltage that is rectified to DC output at the 0Z4 tube. So 12VDC goes into the vibrator, the vibrator turns it into 12VAC, the transformer steps it up to somewhere around 300VAC and the 0Z4 rectifies the voltage to 300VDC.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beemon said:

A voltage is the input DC voltage to the vibrator. B+ voltage is the voltage that is rectified to DC output at the 0Z4 tube. So 12VDC goes into the vibrator, the vibrator turns it into 12VAC, the transformer steps it up to somewhere around 300VAC and the 0Z4 rectifies the voltage to 300VDC.

Holy  Crap! :blink:

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The electromagnet windings on the speakers in old radios served two purposes.  The first was to create the magnetic field for the voice coil to operate in and the second was to act as a choke for the B+ voltage filter.  Usually there was one electrolytic capacitor before the coil and one after, this arrangement called a Pi filter, gave a relatively smooth DC voltage with little ripple.

Joe

Edited by Joseph P. Indusi
mispelling (see edit history)

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

...and I thought it was closer to 100 volts. Somebody needs to measure.;)

My mother teased the idea of FM and Bluetooth chips for the radio as a graduation gift. If the notion is genuine, I will definitely take a reading at the 0Z4 pins.

Plate voltage on a 12V6GT is normally 250-285 in a push-pull installation.  12BA612BF6, and 12BE6 all look like they are happy down to 100v, but are fine up to 300.  I don't remember for sure what I used to get in mine, but 230-240 sounds about right.

By the way, if you haven't seen it, here's a neat little pub with some troubleshooting tips...

• Like 1

Here's my rear speaker:

17264864_10155858841130830_7134401884672

17308859_10155858841125830_6381268446785

The recone kit would work for the speaker cone, but the spider on the original is too small. So I'm back to hunting for a set that will fit. By the way, the Kenwood speaker will not fit the rear shelf because it has a bar through the center of the hole. I found this site that sells custom made speakers to fit OEM applications. The price isn't right for me right now, so I'll keep searching, but might be interesting for others here.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1