Original and Barn Find Cars

Dynaflash8

The problem with barn finds is that they are in no way "original". They are in "as found" condition. Most folks who find a car in a barn seem to convince themselves that the car has been in that barn untouched since the original owner parked it there. No one can know the real history of such a car. Are we also asked to assume that the vehicle has not further deteriorated in those decades of storage? Please, call them "as found" but "original" ? I'm not buying it. "Survivor" is a meaningless word.

• Like 1

Well, not always. I recently purchased a 32 Auburn from the original family with every receipt from new. Including the original bill of sale, loan documentation, oil changes  etc.  

I purchased this car from the little girl sitting on her mothers knee. Leone is now 84. 

20161202_112048.jpg

20161206_134332.jpg

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WendyDee said:

Interesting Views, Gentlemen.  Here's my personal take; I live alone, pay a mortgage, utilities, and a few other neccessities......I also love cars.  I found my previously loved 49 Buick not running  for very cheap on CL. When I have a little extra cash, I do things like inexpensive interior and mechanical improvements to make her run and stop.  I will not put forth the money to make her "Pretty" because it's just not in the budget.  However I will absolutely enjoy driving her every mile I do, knowing that I made her road worthy, and I will raise my niece to know the beauty of an old unrestored car.  Don't get me wrong, I respect those that put forth the money and time to restore or customize, but I see my boyfriend with these kind of cars sitting in trailers and garages because he doesn't want anything to happen to them so they go undriven.  Instead he drives the '35 Ford Panel Rat Rod because it isn't a pristine paint job and one little flaw will go unnoticed.   The idea of my Buick and many others rotting away in a yard or crushed as scrap makes me depressed.....I think pristine or not the appreciation of these cars needs to be shown for future generations or it will be lost.

I was told that the best trophy is a set of worn out tires sitting against the wall.  I AGREE!

Drive em like you stole them and enjoy the ride as they were designed. No upgrades. All original.  The experience will send you back in time before you know it with images from the past.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My Grandparents on my Mother's side, the O'Briens moved into town from the farm in 1941. They bought an old mansion with a carriage house for back taxes. I was born in 1948, one of over 20 nieces and nephews. Soon after moving the '36 Chevy from the farm got a home in the dark second bay in with the black Buick in the front spot.

She gave me the car when I left the Navy in 1971.

012.jpg.3c3393c7b79fd57464b18c3128566e87.jpg

Like most farm stuff, it was pretty well shot from double duty as a farm truck. I sold it and it eventually got built as a street rod and still around the area.

Years before, when I was 12 or 13, she had given me the 1919 Buick Buzz Saw that was still on the farm. I think my Mom and her stayed up late praying for the buzz saw not to start. "The '36 Chevy", as the whole family called it, was, at least, safer.

Bernie

• Like 1