1964 Power Steering fluid

Guest TimFloyd

Guest TimFloyd

Quick question, have read a lot of conflicting info on various sites about this. 1964 Riviera power steering cap says to use "Type A" transmission fluid. I cannot find any locally and need a suitable replacement I can buy locally as needed. I have read that Dexron III is the correct sub. But then others say to just move to a regular cheap power steering fluid. What are you 64 guys doing? and any leaks or issues to steer clear of? Thanks!!

Guest TimFloyd

Thanks Black River, yes I went head first and pulled the trigger on "The Pagan". I had been watching it for a while and couldn't decide if I wanted to seriously look into it. So I took a Friday off from work in November and made the drive from Nixa Mo to Des Iowa. It was a very solid car. The pics on the website were pretty....polished for lack of a better word, as the car does show its age here and there via a few paint chips, slight interior wear etc, but fell in love with it and made the deal. So far it has been solid as can be. The only bad part about driving it is that a 10 minute trip to the gas station ends up being an hour or better because people just flock to it haha. Thanks again!! 

Guest TimFloyd

For sure. The only thing different about the car since you were looking was the dealership had removed the bell flower tips and relocated them out the back. For some reason though something happened and when it arrived at my house those had been removed an it just had raw pipe coming out the back. I had some nice turn downs put on it. I think it looks a little cleaner without the bell flowers