Installing new trunk weatherstripping

bodayguy

Anyone have advice? I installed a set but couldn't get the trunk to close. Started trimming it and still couldn't get the trunk to close. I finally got pissed as it was getting dark and I ripped it out and am starting over.

I seem to remember the old weatherstripping did not extend much higher than the steel frame but clearly the new stuff isn't compressing enough. I even crawled in the trunk and tried to see where it was catching when I close it but that didn't teach me much.

?? I have ordered weatherstripping from both CARS and OPGI and they're the same. 

trunk-weatherstripping.jpg

Just making sure, the seal in the pic is 'upside down'  so that widest patch fits in the groove.  The peak should be outward of the opening.  I found I had to really slam mine down to get it to compress it.  Once you let it sit a few hours shut it will settle in and not be a problem

Even installed correctly often the trunk won't want to close. If it won't shut with a hard slam, mark location and adjust the striker up an 1/8" and try again. Once you get it to shut with a good slam let it sit for a week and reset the striker back to normal position. It should shut after that but you'll still need more force........which is how it was when car was new. Hence the trunk closer option on luxury cars. I know Cadillac had it as far back as 67.