What did you do while we were down car related

Joe in Canada

I must be the first on line here. You know I was starting to get the shakes but all is well now we are back. Thanks to the guys running this show a big thanks.

Any one get to do a car related thing while we were down.

I was bidding on an EMF on EBay so I called the dealer that listed the car to see if it was for sale locally and it was. I was given a very high price then thinking he had a very high reserve on it so I stopped bidding and walked away. Later I checked what it sold and it was $16,900 less than I was quoted. I was willing to go higher than the sale price so I guess we both lost out. Why would I be given such a high price to be scared off?

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I was looking for and still am looking for a ring and pinion gear set for a friend's 1931 Dodge Brothers rumble seat coupe....and staring at the blank screen where the AACA forum used to be. And now it's back in all it's glory. Thanks to the powers that be to let it come back.

43 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I must be the first on line here. You know I was starting to get the shakes but all is well now we are back. Thanks to the guys running this show a big thanks.

Any one get to do a car related thing while we were down.

I was bidding on an EMF on EBay so I called the dealer that listed the car to see if it was for sale locally and it was. I was given a very high price then thinking he had a very high reserve on it so I stopped bidding and walked away. Later I checked what it sold and it was $16,900 less than I was quoted. I was willing to go higher than the sale price so I guess we both lost out. Why would I be given such a high price to be scared off?

Probably hoping you were dumb enough to pay it.  Tell you that you would make  big profit after a few years, etc. The usual stuff.

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I was looking for and still am looking for a ring and pinion gear set for a friend's 1931 Dodge Brothers rumble seat coupe....and staring at the blank screen where the AACA forum used to be. And now it's back in all it's glory. Thanks to the powers that be to let it come back.

Email him :

telahood@cox.net

His first name is Tom..

I got the exhaust manifold off my 94 Mustang. Since that's not AACA qualifying just yet, no one should be too sad to hear it's being hot rodded with a gutted interior and a 351 motor. Switching back to carbs and points too.

Also cleaned up my '54 oil pan, found a crack in it that's repairable (and tells me it was probably leaking and someone over-tightened since it's on a bolt hole).

Opened the hood on my '82 Rampage and remembered I need to buy a new battery for that since I stole it for a tractor last year.

What a nice Friday without the AACA Forums.  I took another old car guy to a friend's house where another prospective old car nut came for a ride in a Model A. Then in the Model A and our 35 Buick we went to  visit another old car guy to see his Model T projects and plan our next local tour.  I got to visit a real garage with a Model A, 2 Model T's and a Mack Truck before going to another barn for some Model B Parts.  The sun was out, temp was a bout 70 degrees, daffodils and cherry blossoms out and a perfect day for driving antique cars.

My only fear is that winter will return in March when we're planning our next ride/tour in the country.

13 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I bought an old Dodge.

Also attempting a modern stereo/DVD/GPS/AM-FM/CD/surround sound/back up camera/Woofer/tweeter/amped up system in my 46 Chrysler.

Needless to say, its one thing after another.

C'mon and throw us a biscuit....WHAT did you buy and where are the photos?? You can't just tease us by saying, " I bought an old Dodge." We MUST know what year and model.

Later I checked what it sold and it was $16,900 less than I was quoted. I was willing to go higher than the sale price so I guess we both lost out. Why would I be given such a high price to be scared off?

Seller had high hopes! There's no harm in clicking what you're willing to bid. Not sure why you assumed his reserve was as high as his "buy it now" offer.

We think someone broke into our house. My Wife and I came home to find a $5 bill on the kitchen table. Neither of us knew where it came from. Then I figured someone came in to rob the place. Once they took a look around they must have figured we needed it more than them and tossed the fin on the table.

Bernie

• Like 2

I bought a new starter switch for my '52 Crosley pickup, but I haven't yet gotten around to installing it.  Hey, gimme a break!  If I did everything right away, there'd be nothing left to do.:D

I'm still waiting for 'Superman' to post how he used the time off from the forum to rebuild his Ferrari V-16 engine, re-paint his Tucker convertible, wash the dog and do a cross country road trip on his '48 Harley knuckle-ized  panhead.:rolleyes: 

Cheers,

Grog

I went up to Penn DOT to transfer the Title, Tags and Registration, on my '74 914, from regulator Tags that require Annual Pa. State Inspection and Registration Renewal, to Antique Title and Tags that are a one time cost. :)  Stood in line for ever and just got back.

They said they would notify me when the Tags a ready for pick up in about 15 Days. Then I get to stand in line again to pick them up. :(

Assembled an MGB engine, then got sidetracked fitting front control arms in the Camry. Attempted a wheel alignment without the use of the inspection pit, (to avoid moving the Metallurgique and an MG). What a tedious carry-on that was!

5 hours ago, keiser31 said:

C'mon and throw us a biscuit....WHAT did you buy and where are the photos?? You can't just tease us by saying, " I bought an old Dodge." We MUST know what year and model.

Kinda figured you would want pictures.

I have to get a battery for my camera as my phone pics give me issues when I load them to my computer then try and attach on here.

Its that 28 Standard 6 that I asked about last week.

I bought it exclusively to flip. So if anybody wants a project I have it here.

Pretty much disassembled but looks to be all there. Someone spent out to have the wheels gone over and it has new tires on it.

The old boy across the alley from where it was stored knew more about it than the seller as her parents both died recently. Been parked for 35 years or so.

He said that it was represented to have a fresh engine in it shortly before it showed up here from Kansas.

I need a distributor cap and a rotor before I can try and start it. It has the crank and turns over easily.

• Like 1

We spent Thursday driving to Ocala, Florida, getting registered for the meet and judging, attended the Pizza Party, and visited with lots of friends.

Friday started off a bit overcast but we were able to follow the self-guided tour of Horse Country for which the Ocala area is so well-known. We had already visited the Don Garlits museum. By afternoon there was the Membership Roundtable - the best-attended one we've seen in some time - so it looks like moving it back to 1:00 was the right thing to do. Judging School followed the Rounddtable. The highlight of the evening was the Ice Cream Social which was hosted by NPD (National Parts Depot) where we had access to an amazing collection of vehicles.

Saturday morning we were down at Judging Administration by 6:30 to help set up - then Judges breakfast and CJE (Continuing Judge Education)

The show itself was exceptional with a great turnout of beautiful vehicles on a picture perfect day - and the evening banquet was well-attended with a great dinner and of course the awards themselves.

My one disappointment was with our 1954 Cadillac which we had planned to drive the 1200 mile round-trip and to show in Driver Participation Class. Just before leaving home we discovered that the left rear brake would sometimes at seemingly random times lock up without warning upon braking after being driven a longer distance. I didn't have time to dig into it before leaving, so we just drove modern and didn't show. My guess is tht either the rear axle grease seal we replaced a few years ago (bearings and seals - both sides) has allowed grease onto the brake shoe, or the wheel cylinder has leaked brake fluid. Either way we must "Git-r-Done" before driving the '54 Caddy convertible to Palm Springs, California for the AACA Western Spring Meet in March, and again for the April Divisional Tour in Sonora.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:55 PM, Joe in Canada said:

... I was bidding on an EMF on EBay so I called the dealer that listed the car to see if it was for sale locally and it was....

Why would I be given such a high price to be scared off?

Because he's a dealer.

That seems to be the modus operandi of many dealers:

Quote a really high price to see if anyone takes the hook;

hold onto that high price in your ads, like grim death;

after a while, sell it quietly for a more reasonable price but don't tell anyone.

I don't want to be too critical of dealers, because I have a 

couple of friends who sell classic cars.  However, what I

described often seems to be the case--I think with some dealers

more so than with others.  I prefer the dealers with 

more reasonable margins and straightforward pricing.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I spent my AACA site free days loading up on old GM software so I could use the tester I bought for working on my Saab to work on old Chevys from the 80's to almost new.

Last week I was out to the salvage auction looking for a late model donor Saab when I came across the cleanest, nicest looking old Chev Blazer I've seen in years. It's old enough for collector plates, not quite old enough to be collectable. But it's got low miles, all the bells and whistles and it looks really nice. It's scheduled to run through the salvage auction as a charity donor with mechanical trouble and it could be worth sitting on to for a few years. You don't get to drive those before you buy and thinking this might be a fun little car to own and worth bidding to buy for more than salvage value, I thought it would be worth the effort to have a serious talk with all it's controllers.

It won't be long before all the cars from the 90's qualify for collector plates, but if you really want to collect one of those you will need to start collecting old computers and software too. After all, what good is having all the factory service software written to run on Windows 98,  if you don't have don't have a computer to run it on.