1928 Peerless on E-Bay

packard lover

I noticed a 1928 8 cyl. now has been listed for sale on e-Bay. I do not know any thing about the value of such, but am interested in acquiring a Peerless of this vintage. Seller makes a claim that this may be the only one left in that configuration, an assertion I question. Can anyone shed some light on the fair market value of this car and purported rarity? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Louis Abelove

>>>> Four Engine Photos on Post Above >>>>

Thank you Louis and Mal for posting this. A grand car I didn't know was for sale. It has been in Ohio a long time, before that in the Dexter Dotson Collection in Virginia. There were around 1,700 Model 8-69s built between 1926-1928 -- the last model with the Peerless V-8. The Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence record shows only about 15 possible survivors, from condition 1 to condition 6 cars. KPAIE shows 1 Roadster Coupe, 1 Roadster, 4 with unknown or no body, 7 Sedans or Limousines of 5-P or 7-P, 1 speedster, and 1 5-P Coupe. 

Louis, the car IS rare. Peerless built a fair number of cars and trucks(108,116 in 32 years), but the KPAIE roster I created suggests about 350 remain, far, far less than Pierce-Arrows or Packards(thousands of them remain, not hundreds). I met a 1928 Peeerless owner from Philadelphia when I was at Hershey in 2013 and he said 362 1928 Peerless 8-69s were built. See thread here called "New Peerless Owner Department", post #18, to see his car. Where he got those numbers I don't know...but '28 was the last year of the Peerless V-8. As you know, their top-shelf model for '29, the Model Eight-125, had a straight-eight.

It is a little hard to separate the 3 years of production. Unfortunately, there's no plate that says "1927" or "1928". Serial numbers do help a bit...but the last Car serial Number of B690,759 could mean it was the last car out of the shop, the last one ordered, or both. In 1927-1928, Peerless was making a transition from nickel to chrome plating, a new instrument panel, drum to bullet headlights & cowl lights, and the big built-in roof overhang to a cadet visor.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Remember, there are are a healthy number of Peerless V-8 cars around(2 to 4 dozen), with production starting in 1916 and about 34,000 built. The earlier models were the 56, 66, and 8-67. Someone lucked onto the 1920 Mod. 56 Sedan at the Smoky Mountain Car Museum going out of business sale 9 months ago for nine grand. There was what appeared to be a condition 1 1927 7-P Sedan for sale on the "Peerless For Sale Department" thread in December, post # 145, for $15,100...another museum clearance.

The one for sale has been described as a '25, '26, '27, and '28 Peerless over the years. I talked to the former owner of a 1928 Mod. 8-69 7-P Sedan% in Oregon a few years ago and he said they are great road cars and his was one of the few to have the bullet cowl lights & headlights[a very late feature for an 8-69]. The one Significant Cars lists is the only other I know...........adding credence to the idea it's a '28. 

No idea what the Peerless could sell for or should sell for. You can generally count on people knowing little about the car company, confusing Peerless with Pierce, etc. The write-up of the car seems mostly accurate, although the inline 8 wasn't introduced in 1930(it was 1929) and the Peerless in the 24-hour race was not the Green Dragon race car, but a production car owned by a guy in Columbus(probably a Model 11 overhead valve 4-cylinder with 35 h.p.). Oldfield did drive it(35 h.p. production car) for an hour and did race the Green Dragon(a world-record-holding oval track pure race car of 60+h.p.), but in a five mile event the day before. Some of the wikipaedia article on Peerless is a little off.

% His Car serial # was B690 493 -- that's in the second Series of 8-69(last 760 built) -- and it seems to have as high a serial number as any out there.  

AG D Pigeon Forge TN Smokey Mountain Car Museum 1920 Peerless V8 _ eBay (1) (2).mhtml       If you want to download this link, it takes you to a postcard of the 1920 Peerless formerly at the museum in Pigeon Forge, TN. 

The e-Bay sale on this car ends in half an hour --- currently bid up to $11,392...auction ended at $17,050 with reserve not met. Probably still for sale at Significant Cars.

The same owner listed a roughly comparable '31 LaSalle 345A Convertible Coupe with the sales firm, and it was on e-Bay Auction today, also. It was a stalled restoration w/ re-wooded body, somewhat apart. It went to $10.1K, reserve un-met.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...