31 engine

a sell

After seeing the blog from the fellow who is building the Indy racer it made me wonder about a 31 engine a friend has in his shop.  It is a Studebaker 8 cylinder, serial number is XE with four numbers.  The other Studebaker engine that looks interesting is a 35 twin ignition six.  Both are fairly complete, but the carb is broke on the twin ignition six.  Any info on these?  There was a v-8 out of about a 62 Lark but he had a helper haul it off cause it was "too new"    

Are you referring to a Straight Eight? If so Studebaker never used that type of prefix. The prefix may be FE and if so that would be 1929-30 President 336 c.i. five main bearing engine. You might want to examine it a little closer. Re engine #2 Studebaker did not produce a twin ignition Six.

engine left labeled.jpg

engine right labeled.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

I will look at the serial number on the inline 8 again, it was written beside the stamped serial no. with a paint pen.  As for the 6 he wrote it on the top as being a Studebaker Twin Ignition Six.  It is a 6 and has two spark plugs per cylinder, one on each side of the head.  The distributor has twelve high energy connections.  Looks like a good idea for more complete ignition.  Maybe it is not a Studebaker.