Time for my annual ebay feedback rant

auburnseeker

So I sell alot on ebay and try to keep everyone happy.  That usually means eating my pride or in some cases admitting that even though I'm right and you are wrong as documented by the factory parts catalog and hands on experience,  you must be right and I must be wrong.  I'm glad to admit when I'm wrong.  I know I don't know half of what I wish I did. All this in an effort to keep stellar 100 % feedback.  

Well earlier this week I got nailed with my first negative in over  a year.  Keep in mind that in neither of the cases I'm going to list,  the buyer contacted me with a problem, they just slammed with a negative.  

The first was a NOS 1957 Ford brochure.  Of which I have probably sold close to 50 of them with everyone being completely satisfied except this buyer.  They almost always sell for 5.00 -10.00 so we are not talking big money here.  His issue wasn't with condition or delivery.  His problem was it doesn't have 1957 Tbird in it.  I guess he never opened it, as there is one clearly shown on Page 2 in Bronze.  Then he complained (in the feedback) that it was a brochure for Fairlane.  I guess he missed the first photo that showed a 57 Retractable on the cover. :wacko:

Next a guy bought a set of radiator hoses with clamps for his 20's Buick.  Again a cheap item at 15.00.  His problem  "The lenses look great on the 23 Chevy headlights. Thank you"

What is that suppose to mean.  He never bought lenses of any kind from me. He bought a radiator hose set. Leaving me this comment??????? 

I contacted him immediately and he said he was really sorry and didn't mean to do it even stating he was happy with his parts.  Where do people come up with this?  Ebay makes you confirm that you really want to leave negative feedback and that you should try to work out a problem with the seller first, so this isn't like an oops I pushed the wrong button.

I think, and have even suggested to them,  that they make it mandatory that the buyer contact the seller first and then can't leave negative feedback until a certain time period has passed from initiating it, so that the seller has a chance to resolve any problems.

Doesn't this seem like a reasonable request or am I just thinking irrationally here?

Here is a link to my feedback page so you can see them yourself.  

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=randyshotrods

Well, you don't count. Ebay is looking out for THEIR customer. They have propagandized them selves to transition right into dogma. Ebay dogma- don't dare question that!

I am not aggressive, but when I use it I can gross about $10,000 a year. To date for 2017 I'm at 30 bucks. And working more at my job, less for the hobby selling. Ebay doesn't care. I was just a seller. They tried to show they cared. On my anniversary of 15 years selling they sent me a certification congratulating me on 5 years with them. Wonderful people.

For a long time I have been throwing out anything that wasn't absolutely perfect. Recently I have been throwing out anything worth $30 to $50 or less. It costs too much to sell the small stuff.

And I haven't been visiting my computer illiterate friends to buy their stashes to put back into the hobby circulation. Again, it is not worth it. When things aren't fun anymore I usually just kind of vaporize.

I don't even look for much to buy on there because Ebay parts compatibility says everything fits my car. From what I have seen Buick hise clamps will replace the headlights on my '48 Packard. Why not?

Bernie

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Well, you don't count. Ebay is looking out for THEIR customer. They have propagandized them selves to transition right into dogma. Ebay dogma- don't dare question that!

I am not aggressive, but when I use it I can gross about $10,000 a year. To date for 2017 I'm at 30 bucks. And working more at my job, less for the hobby selling. Ebay doesn't care. I was just a seller. They tried to show they cared. On my anniversary of 15 years selling they sent me a certification congratulating me on 5 years with them. Wonderful people.

For a long time I have been throwing out anything that wasn't absolutely perfect. Recently I have been throwing out anything worth $30 to $50 or less. It costs too much to sell the small stuff.

And I haven't been visiting my computer illiterate friends to buy their stashes to put back into the hobby circulation. Again, it is not worth it. When things aren't fun anymore I usually just kind of vaporize.

I don't even look for much to buy on there because Ebay parts compatibility says everything fits my car. From what I have seen Buick hise clamps will replace the headlights on my '48 Packard. Why not?

Bernie

Well atleast the lenses I didn't sell you will fit perfectly as your headlights will then be adjustable;)

I feel ya! Not with CSI, but surveys in general. Nothing like "Everything was great!" and then they click the wrong thing. Or else they expect more than is reality. At least Ebay is a Red/Green status. Folks (generally) know that Red is bad. You get into the sliding scale types and folks start thinking "well it was good, but perfect", and of course whoever produces the survey expects nothing but perfection. You end up getting surveys the customer thinks are pretty darn good, but compared to the expectation they look horrible but "Everything was great!"

I did have one joker recently that bid on one of my multiple listing auctions that was clearly labeled as such. My auction simple stated in huge black letters "YOU ARE BIDDING ON ONE"

He tried leaving negative fb stating that "I only received one of the items". Luckily the Ebay customer service rep from India could see the humor in it and removed his negative feedback and put him straight. First time in 17 years of dealings on the site that they stood up for me as a seller.

As long as it's infrequent, and you leave your PayPal at $0 like I do (for this reason), you can call your credit card company (where the money comes and goes when you have $0 PayPal balance) and initiate a chargeback when eBay makes you refund them.  You'll get your money back.  At least I did.  I've done it twice over the years, for similar cases of buyer ignorance.  I have no idea if the card company just likes me as a good customer or if they actually got their money back.

Of course you sell a lot more than me, so keeping your PayPal balance at $0 would be much more tedious.

One guy was mad that a part didn't fit his vehicle when I never said it did.  He bought a part for an Acura MDX,  but he had an Acura TL.  The other was passive aggressive--said my part arrived broken, said it would still work, didn't want anything from me after I asked what I could do, then went back after his money later.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

auburnseeker - if the person left feedback about LENSES and the auction they won was for radiator hose clamps, then possiby Ebay should remove the feedback if requested.  You have to make a complain specifically requesting the feedback removal. 

Several years ago I sold a car that I described as having brake problems - they didn't work.  Buyer gets the car and posts negative feedback because the brakes don't work.  Contacted Ebay and yes, they removed the entire feedback, didn't just make it neutral.  If you are concerned it may be worth your time.  

http://andrewminalto.com/ebay-negative-feedback-removal/

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Removing-Negative-Feedback-on-Ebay-/10000000012401440/g.html

I did file complaints with them for each of the 2 feedback but haven't had any luck before.  I guess if I am concerned enough I can call the Indian tech department and hope I find a sympathetic representative.   You would think they might actually listen to concerns or complaints of a seller (around 4000 items a year) and buyer (probably another 250 items a year) when they actually do speak up about 1 or 2 of those total transactions a year.  I usually just go with the punches,  but sometimes when hit below the belt with a bowling ball,  you get a bit uptight. 

I bought a motorcycle off ebay a couple years ago. Guy had one negative feedback, from another bike he'd sold right before I bid on mine. When I went to pick up my new bike, he told me about feedback extortion. The other guy had showed up the previous week, paid cash and said everything good, he was happy. After that guy got home, he emailed and wanted a few hundred bucks back or he'd leave a negative. And he did. There are some real jerks out there.

I maintained my 100%, only thing that really irritated me is: when you really go out of your way, ship quick, even throw in a little extra for a gift..........those are the guys that don't even bother to leave any feedback at all.

I said goodbye to Ebay when they came out with the EBay owned Global Shipping Program. EBay  became a middle man in the shipping business with the extremely high EBay  handling charge added into the shipping charge.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Exactly right,Joe. Ebay did a lot to eliminate we Canadian buyers, I used to buy many, many mostly pre-war period automobile photographs, now a 3 or 4 dollar photo costs $10 + to ship an envelope. I buy virtually nothing from ebay now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I think, and have even suggested to them,  that they make it mandatory that the buyer contact the seller first and then can't leave negative feedback until a certain time period has passed from initiating it, so that the seller has a chance to resolve any problems.

Doesn't this seem like a reasonable request or am I just thinking irrationally here?

Seems reasonable to me.  Kinda surprised it isn't in place already.....kinda.

That noted, I've never bought through eBay nor sold through eBay.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Now, how do you feel?" | Dido | 'Don't Think Of Me'

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

def thinking irrationally- time to look for a new job!

:)

Maybe I would If I hadn't just hauled home 6 more truck loads of crap to sell.  Anyone want a good deal on 6 truck loads of junk?  If scrap was a little higher I could probably scrap it all and come out ahead.  I must have hauled home 1000 reconditioned connecting rods, not to mention NOS brake drums and Rotors.   I still have one more truck load to go including a large garbage can overfull of brand new pistons.  I think i saw more rods as well.  Maybe I'll just forget that I saw those.

• Like 1

The Global Shipping Program is a real rip-off. I still buy occasionally on eBay but absolutely refuse to deal with anyone who has subscribed to the Global Shipping Program. In the case of low priced items. their fees greatly exceed the price of the item. And to add insult to injury, they tack on brokerage fees for items coming to Canada as they all come through their courier.. Items shipped USPS have no such problem. If I desperately need an item I may ask the seller if they would ship by USPS. If not, then NO BID!.

Maybe I would If I hadn't just hauled home 6 more truck loads of crap to sell.  Anyone want a good deal on 6 truck loads of junk?  If scrap was a little higher I could probably scrap it all and come out ahead.  I must have hauled home 1000 reconditioned connecting rods, not to mention NOS brake drums and Rotors.   I still have one more truck load to go including a large garbage can overfull of brand new pistons.  I think i saw more rods as well.  Maybe I'll just forget that I saw those.

You like this

instead of that beautiful lumber you just bought, why not line your garage walls with connecting rods?

It wood certainly be different..............  :)

15 hours ago, 4Hud said:

Exactly right,Joe. Ebay did a lot to eliminate we Canadian buyers, I used to buy many, many mostly pre-war period automobile photographs, now a 3 or 4 dollar photo costs $10 + to ship an envelope. I buy virtually nothing from ebay now.

I paid $9.00 for a front wheel washer and $21.00 for  the EBay owned middle man Global Shipping Program and shipping combined. That was last year and the last time I buy if the dealer uses the Global Shipping Program with the extremely high EBay surcharge added in.   

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I never subscribed to their global shipping scam.  As it is I hate buying my shipping from them but they have it set up so you almost have to and have some bazaar rate they get for First class mail up to 15.9 ounces that is not available at the Postal window. I know they are making money off selling us the shipping.   Not to mention the pecent they make off your shipping fee to begin with even when it's at cost.

Connecting rods on the walls would be an interesting look.   I could have done a nice border along the top with those.  

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I really don't care were my eBay buyers live as long as they don't mind covering the actual postage cost. I've always felt uneasy using the Global ripoff, so how do buyers outside the USA like to see postage advertised? Bob

Hi Bob

For any of us, all you have to do is indicate in your ad that we need to contact you after posting a winning bid to get your actual cost of postage. If packing is extraordinarily difficult for a particular piece, most reasonable people would forgive a modest additional fee for that. There should be no hassle in the seller dealing directly with the buyer. (unless the buyer is a jerk - then all bets are off:angry:

I realize that for a large volume commercial seller, they don't want to be bothered with individual buyers. So if you insist on buying from such a seller  you're stuck with doing it eBay's way.

But a seller will win brownie points from their prospective customers by NOT using the Global Shipping Program

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I really don't care were my eBay buyers live as long as they don't mind covering the actual postage cost. I've always felt uneasy using the Global ripoff, so how do buyers outside the USA like to see postage advertised? Bob

USPS as they do not have all the extra fees the currier service's do. The currier's also always charge a tax for the government where the postal service is very random. I will only buy if the seller uses the US postal service and that is not to often anymore. Will EBay allow the seller to switch from Global rip off service after the sale to USPS or are they locked in once they have you. 

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I did file complaints with them for each of the 2 feedback but haven't had any luck before.  I guess if I am concerned enough I can call the Indian tech department and hope I find a sympathetic representative.   You would think they might actually listen to concerns or complaints of a seller (around 4000 items a year) and buyer (probably another 250 items a year) when they actually do speak up about 1 or 2 of those total transactions a year.  I usually just go with the punches,  but sometimes when hit below the belt with a bowling ball,  you get a bit uptight. 

I have called eBay a few times recently as a seller and was shocked that they actually were very helpful. The one feedback is obviously a mistake and I bet they'd take it right off. 

As far as the literature, he should have looked at the great pictures you supplied. No excuse for his complaint. I'm sorry for your negative experiences. 

On another note, I really wish I'd have seen this auction. I'd love to have that literature for my '57 Retractable. Do you have any more of these?