1959 LeSabre Estate Wagon

Thriller

So, in late August, Pete Phillips got a call from Thief River Falls, MN about this car being for sale.  Not knowing where TRF was, he mapped it and noted how close it is to Winnipeg, so Derek got an e-mail.  There was then a phone call or two and an exchange of photos via e-mail and next thing you knew, Derek was going for a nice drive to take a look.  Derek was enamoured, so much so that he perhaps didn't take as close a look as he should.  The price was reasonable, and it looked nice, and Derek had approval from the Minister of Finance, so cash changed hands and Derek made plans to return the following Sunday with a battery, a teenaged boy, and the truck and trailer.

You know, when a car doesn't start, but you're OK because you have a winch, there's a sense of confidence, perhaps even cockiness that goes with it.  Factor in a 4600 lb car and an eight year old winch battery, and it was near disaster.  Happily, the car was almost on the trailer, so we only had to push it a few more feet, uphill of course.

We towed it directly to our mechanic for the requisite Manitoba inspection after jumping through assorted border crossing hoops.  They got it running well and performed the odds and ends required to pass the inspection.  The bad news is that it needs floors, so it needs to go to a body shop that is willing to deal with rust.  Happily floors are available, and I was given a set of rocker panels by a fellow Gopher State Chapter member.  It was noted that the transmission fluid was down, so it was topped up, only to find a puddle under the car the next day...torque ball seal next on the list.  At least the car has had good company for the winter as our McLaughlin-Buick 29-51 is also there.

So, as of right now, it has spent the winter at the mechanics and in another month or so we should be able to get it to a body shop, then be able to put plates on it and get it on the road this summer.  The Minister of Finance and her progeny have always had a liking of the "angry eyebrows" of the 1959 Buick, so one was on our wish list.  Now the wish is complete.  That makes two 1950s Buick Estate Wagons in the stable...in a sense, I hope it isn't a trend.

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2383EW.jpg

IMG_2388EW_loaded.jpg

IMG_2389EWCanAuto.jpg

IMG_2391EW_push.jpg

IMG_2394_1929.jpg

• Like 10

Any northern car that spent any winter time outside was exposed to salt. I don't recall regarding the floor covering and can't say from the photo for certain. That said, I don't remember if I heard where it came from before TRF. When I get on the computer again I will strive to remember to look at the original photo and see if I can verify from it. 

We haven't decided yet what we are bringing to Brookfield and the timing means we are unlikely to attend Denver in 2018 so I don't know when it will be displayed just yet beyond locally. 

Edited by Thriller (see edit history)

Yup, would seem. 

One more thing to eventually address. Typically, when driving the old cars, I rely on my GPS receiver for speed and learn the characteristics of the speedo. As it is, our posted speeds here are km/hr so I have to do some conversions anyway. 

Edited by Thriller
Fixed iPad stutter (see edit history)
  • Like 2