63viking

Rear suspension

42 posts in this topic

it looks to me the adapter would have to be at least an inch thick,however far the hub sticks in the hole.

Posted (edited)

John's silver 1990 factory supercharged car...

When a Reatta surfaces that is said to have a historic signifince within the Reatta community.......sure would like to see some documentation that verifies what the present owner is stating.

Who was the GM/Reatta employee that had the car made for his wife?

What is the vin number.....we have info on a good percentage of the cars that tells us where they went (dealer name, state, etc)

It is a strong possibility that the Eaton supercharger would have been in engineering in 1990 but the first production supercharged 3800 did not become available until 1992 on the Park Ave Ultra.

Maybe the words the owner used done at the factory could be confusing....sure engineering could have modified a car but the Craft Center did not build any 3800 supercharged Reattas

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

But, I only have ONE Reatta.

Since Saturday several people have offered you suggestions, ideas and even drawings to try and help you find a way to lower your car. I'm surprised that this is your response to all that. I must be missing something.

Barney; FYI The 1991 Buick Ultra was supercharged using the same motor.

I was unaware that the Ultra had the supercharger in 1991........The 1991 product manual only shows one engine for all Park Ave. it could have been changed during the model year, does anyone have a product announcement

adding the supercharger?    I have a big 3 ring binder for 1991 that covers service information but will need to look for product changes.

Couldn't we use a coil over set up and remove the leaf all together? 

Here is one for the Caddy side of the house.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Strutmasters/Coil-Overs/Cadillac-Eldorado-Strutmasters-Rear-Coil-Over-Shock-Conversion-Kit-_-CAD_R1/787315/

I am pretty sure these would be a bolt on. You may have to install the leveling kit for it, but that is easy enough and can be programmed in to the system.

1 hour ago, D-a-n-i-e-l said:

Couldn't we use a coil over set up and remove the leaf all together? 

1 hour ago, D-a-n-i-e-l said:

I am pretty sure these would be a bolt on

1268687855178036_jpg.gif.0ee8b0e3866394787c301a8442b0f5cc.gif   Where are the upper and lower spring perches?

I am kind of wondering that also. 

I would assume that they are what the company says they are.

The rear suspension is the same as the Eldorado with the exception of the leveling option. 

I am hoping someone will bite the bullet on the rear suspension for us. If not I will eventually tackle it.

They look very much like the optional air struts for the Riviera. which I have on my Reatta. They don't look large enough diameter to be the primary suspension?

What is so wrong with my earlier suggestion of at least trying the 2 companies I mentioned earlier in this thread- to have lowered spindles produced?

Remove what you have, clean them up, wrap up & ship. They don't destroy them, only use as a basis for CAD plot. They ship back to you, say yay or neigh, then you pay. (maybe small design fee?)

I don't have extra money- nor do I wish to lower my car. I just provided the (foreseeable) easiest method.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

What is so wrong with my earlier suggestion of at least trying the 2 companies I mentioned earlier in this thread- to have lowered spindles produced?

Remove what you have, clean them up, wrap up & ship. They don't destroy them, only use as a basis for CAD plot. They ship back to you, say yay or neigh, then you pay. (maybe small design fee?)

I don't have extra money- nor do I wish to lower my car. I just provided the (foreseeable) easiest method.

I certainly don't see anything wrong with the suggestion at all. I think many of us are making suggestions without the immediate desire to lower the car ourselves. There was a thread some years ago about either adapting or having a custom spring made but I do not remember the conclusion to that one? Wasn't RedRacer (or something like that?) working on a complete coil over setup in the recent past?

1 person likes this

Personally I would like to try try custom spindles. But I do not have 1000,s of dollars to invest in them. Do you understand the

what the cost would be? Unless you have the equipment to make them.

On their page- they say they already have many designs in their database. Barney, Padgett, etc. would you please cross reference

how many other cars use the same spindles & knuckles as a Reatta? Cost-wise, I can't imagine Buick forking over extra budget for "custom" suspension parts for 1 car line.

COMPANY #1          COMPANY #2

A couple of phone calls.

18 hours ago, 2seater said:

They look very much like the optional air struts for the Riviera. which I have on my Reatta. They don't look large enough diameter to be the primary suspension?

maybe narrow a spring and use these to fine tune the height.

The two company's you list don't even have a buick listed or caddy.

You would have to spend a lot of money to have them special made.