no spark

talipp

my 90 convertible is sitting in my driveway and won't start.  i started by checking for spark and found it had no spark.  checked the fuses and found that the #8ccci fuse was popped. put in another one and it immediately popped too.  my question is the cam position sensor involved  or do i proceed and look for a short in the wiring to the coils....since the car has about 130000 mi.les it looks like i should replace the coil and ccci unit.  prior to it dying in the driveway the car would occasionally not start and appeared to not be getting any gas.  after 2 or 3 attempts to start it would start but   felt like it wasn't getting any gas. once i started rolling it would be fine.  thankfully it died in the driveway!!! any advice as to how to proceed would be appreciated.....

Based on what you said about it not starting well before and fuel issues and what Harry wrote above,   You can unplug both the Ignition module and the fuel pump install fuse, if it blows with both unhooked then you have a wiring short, If Fuse does not blow hookup the ignition module first, if fuse is still good plug in fuel pump to see if it blows the fuse.

You can usually unplug the fuel pump/sender from under the car. You could also check the  Fuel pump Green Wire in front left engine compartment near washer pump and tank for short to ground.

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good info....

went out to work on the problem and the battery was discharged.  I'm letting it charge up.   My question is if the #8 fuse is popped the fuel pump should still energies when I put 12volts to the bypass wire???

so the pump is working when i apply power to the bypass test. When i turn the key on i get power to #8 fuse which then pops. i need to get a schematic of that circuit  to check it.  Again I'm not getting any spark which leads to believe it is the icm but i would like to make sure before i spring for the igniter and the coils. 

okay cleaned off battery cables noticing that the ground cable had a bad connection.  checked for power to the pink #1wire to the icm and there was power.  put in a new fuse into #8 and she fired up???? going to  charge battery up to 100% and check all grounds and try again tomorrow.  must have moved something to the good but what??? again il check tomorrow.....thanks again for all the good info...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got it to run but was having a problem getting it to idle.  went back over my ground cables since they were the last thing i touched and found the negative battery cable was loose. Tightend it up and voila it began to idle!!!!  looks like the ground connections in the reatta are pretty important!!!!! thanks for all the help but stand by now as i go out and test her on the road this week thanks again talipp.....

8 hours ago, talipp said:

looks like the ground connections in the reatta are pretty important!!!!! 

The ground connections on the Reatta are actually CRITICAL to the operation of the electronics and computers (ECM, ICM, BCM).  There are independent grounding circuits for electronics vs everything else and some devices such as the radio have their own grounding wire all the way to the forward engine grounding post.  Cars are notoriously noisy from an electrical perspective and given that the Reatta is so dependent on electronics and computers for just about everything, GM had to solve the noise issues, which meant making sure that EVERYTHING was well grounded and critical circuits were independently grounded. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

after getting it to run i checked the negative cable bolt and replaced it. i then checked the connection between the cable and battery with my test light and noticed it was lit possible indicating a short??? i pulled the fuses again one at a time and noticed the test light went out when i pulled the cps fuse.  so is there a short in the cps circuit any clues and advice at this point???  trying to get down the road!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, talipp said:

after getting it to run i checked the negative cable bolt and replaced it. i then checked the connection between the cable and battery with my test light and noticed it was lit possible indicating a short??? i pulled the fuses again one at a time and noticed the test light went out when i pulled the cps fuse.  so is there a short in the cps circuit any clues and advice at this point???  trying to get down the road!!!!!!

This should help you understand what is a short and what is normal on a Reatta. How To Measure Battery Drain

You may also find this useful: Battery Cable Checks & Repair

• Like 1

thanks....the key was off...seems strange that cleaning up the negative connections got it to run but i was concerned why previously  the #8 cci fuse was blowing and that cleaning the negatives had anything to do with the fuse blowing????