Question on '63 401

JanZverina

Hey, all you 401 experts: About a year ago I had to remove and reinstall the crossover manifold which includes the thermostat housing above the water pump because naturally -- and despite my best efforts -- one bolt head snapped as I was removing the housing to replace the thermostat. So when I removed my power steering pump last weekend to have it rebuilt because it was leaking at a steady clip, I was at first reluctant to remove the front P/S bracket because I was sure coolant would spew out of the bolt holes. No such thing happened, though. I thought that crossover was part of the coolant flow in the engine. Is it because the thermostat is closed when the engine is cool or am I missing something else in the design here? The chassis manual doesn't address this unless I'm not looking in the right section, but I think I covered all possibilities. Thanks again to JZRiv, Jim Cannon, and others for their input on the P/S pump rebuild. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Yup, that makes perfect sense - I should have guessed that. I'm getting some seepage but it's because the bolt pressure is off that small gasket. I'll just find some washers the thickness of the bracket at that point and snug up the bolts until it's time for the re-install. Thanks, Chris.