A President to be Proud of

Bob Stein

Having attended the 2017 Annual Membership Meeting in Philadelphia this past weekend, I want to share an image that I think exemplifies the character of the man we are fortunate enough to have as our 2017 National President.  It may not look like much - in fact, it doesn't even look like he is doing anything connected with AACA, discussing a lapful of vintage vinyl records with a young man obviously too young to own an antique car.  What makes this image special to me is that is was taken right after the afternoon round table where Tom, along with the entire AACA National Board and staff, endured public insult and condemnation by individuals who later admitted they were ignorant of the facts concerning what they were complaining about.  Tom not only responded to uncalled for and inappropriate comments with intelligence and courtesy, he explained a complex situation in a manner that was not offensive, disrespectful, or adversarial to anyone.  It was a very stressful and unpleasant way to spend what should have been a time to honor and express much-deserved appreciation to our outgoing and incoming National Presidents and officers.  Immediately after this meeting, Tom was approached by a young AACA member who wanted to share his latest interest  - vinyl records.  Most people would have still been reeling from the turmoil, but Tom not only acknowledged the young man; he sat down and talked to him at length over this new passion.  A lot of AACA members talk about inspiring and encouraging future generations - Tom Cox leads by example. 

Cox_youth.jpg

• Like 20

Thanks for your Post Bob. I'm sure most of the Forum Followers can assume what was said at the meeting was about the separation of the Museum and the Club. Tom's prior comments posted in the Forum about this were always worded with civility and in a positive way towards all. Tom's response to, as you noted  "uncalled for and inappropriate comments", were probably in line with what we read and discussed in the Forum. Our Forum discussions made a good testing ground to help prepare all to understand and appreciate the direction we are going in. Hopefully this helped Tom to be prepared to address these comments in Philly, with the knowledge that he had the full support of the Club. I like hearing that Tom had another opportunity to get the word out to those in the Club that were uninformed.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bob, a very gracious post on your part and I am glad you took the time to speak up.  Tom handled himself well all weekend and proved beyond a doubt why he was selected to be a two term AACA National President.  Now we all have to have his back and that of the club as we move forward to even more success in AACA.  It is going to be an exciting year!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bob Stein said:

Tom, along with the entire AACA National Board and staff, endured public insult and condemnation by individuals who later admitted they were ignorant of the facts concerning what they were complaining about.

I also thought Tom did an excellent job of explaining the situation, especially being put on the spot and reviewing 2 plus years of what occurred from memory in chronological order without notes. Sadly there are still a fair amount who don't yet understand what has occurred between the organizations. National has been completely transparent with everything.  

• Like 2

Tom, like many in AACA, is a class act. When I was fuming and fretting over the mess my local Virginia House representative was making of the Commonwealth's old car-friendly antique plate laws, Tom was in Richmond trying to smooth things over and get that career political hack to see our side of the issue.

And anytime a young'un takes an interest in vinyl, it's good! Especially the Monkees first 1966 LP!  Read in this morning's paper that Peter Tork is 75 today. 

• Like 1

When that guy stood and made his derogatory comments, I stood up and told him he was rude and his comments were absolutely uncalled for (among a few other comments).  I didn't even turn around to see who the guy was.  This club is very fortunate to have Tom Cox as its leader.  In my opinion he is a man among men.  He faces problems head on when others would shrink and hide.

Earl Beauchamp jr 

• Like 2

Bob, thanks for posting this.  This was my fifth Annual Meeting and I usually attend for the seminars and judging school as I have found the Meeting sometimes less fun.  Given the recent events regarding the museum, I attended the Meeting last week and am quite glad I did.  Bob, Steve and Tom are to be commended for the manner in which they presented the facts regarding the situation to those who did not know the whole story.  Tom was great with his calm delivery of the timeline that lead the board to their decisions, particularly after some of the unkind remarks about him and how this issue was handled.  I do not believe I would have been as gracious had those remarks been directed towards me.  As members of AACA, we have to be proud of our leadership and they proved it last Saturday.

• Like 4