1939 Chrysler New Yorker project

This was my Dads 1939 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door sedan. He owned it back in the 70s and he passed away in '84...the car sat in a garage for over 36 years. I pulled it out in November of 2016 and brought it to my home (garage)...Not sure what is next for this classic but she's very solid and very original. I already have a '39 Imperial so I'm not really sure I have the "room" for two. The old photo was taken in 1975...yes that was me standing beside her.  I haven't done much with her but I did replace those ugly sealed beams with the originals. I know from my experience with the Imperial, the most challenging thing about restoring a '39 Chrysler (especially the eight cylinder cars) is finding all of the parts...However, this car is not missing anything other than a couple of window crank knobs. All of the trim, hubcaps, emblems, door handles, window cranks, tail lights and lenses, air cleaner, license lamp and housing, all of it is there.

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

• Like 3

On February 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM, DavidAU said:

What is the major differences between the New Yorker and the Imperial?

This was my question, too!

Very cool that you have your Dad's car.  Enjoy the project.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Sunrise for a stained glass window" | Adam Brand | 'Blue Sky Cathedral'

• 2 weeks later...

There are very few differences between the New Yorker and the Imperial. The Imperial had the same fabric (interior) as the Royal and the New Yorker was a more upscale interior. The New Yorker had a cigar lighter in the rear ashtray and the front script either was New Yorker or Imperial. That was about it.

• Like 1