1915 Studebaker Touring

oakhurst

Just purchased a 1915 4 cyl touring car. The horizontally split windshield has a 3/16 gap between the top and bottom glass on the
driver side and a 1/8 overlap on the passenger side. After measuring, the bolt/hinge for the top glass on the driver side is about 1/4 higher than the bolt on the passenger side. The bolts for the lower glass are the same and the lower glass fits great on the bottom. Could the "restorer" have used windshield brackets from two different cars? Also is there supposed to be a gap with a rubber moulding fitted between the two windshields?

13 hours ago, oakhurst said:

I will try.  New to this an am not sure how to get my pix here.  Tomorrow I will try again.  Any recs?

If you need help posting photos, you can send them to me and I will post them here for you.

keiser 31 @ charter . net

1.  In case previous owner (hopefully) installed safety glass, one pane or the other may not be fully seated or cut unevenly. Or you may be able to shim upper frame somehow.

2. Restoration Supply www.restorationstuff.com definitely has the rubber you need to mate the two, I ordered some from them 15 yrs ago. Downloadable catalog, great people to deal with.

• Like 1

You need the rubber window strip from Restoration Stuff that Grimy noted. Here is what it looks like on my 1923 McLaughlin Buick.  I also have a rubber flap at the bottom of the windshield.  I could not tell if you had this or not from the pics you posted.  It is available from Home Depot.  It is a shower door bottom seal and it fits into a groove at the bottom of the windshield frame.  .  

P1070385.JPG

P1070995.JPG

P1070996.JPG

18 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

This might be a silly suggestion, but have you put a straight edge on the bottom of the glass?

Many cars of that era had a rubber flap on the bottom of the top glass to keep the air from coming through.

Yes the glass edges are straight.  They are just not parallel due to the bolt/hinge on the top glass, driver side is 1/4 inch higher than

on the pass side.  The windshield brackets are not the same.  The brackets appear totally original with no modifications. I think I can

modify the lower panel on the pass side so the gap will be consistent.  Then I will fit the rubber moulding from Restoration.  I will have

to check on that bottom flap.  

17 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I suggest you remove the bracket and chase the threads on the screw and the bottom of the frame. 

Also check to see that the screw is not too long and can go to full depth.

I will check again, but everything went together well.  I had to remove the windshields and brackets to

save on shipping.  The brackets were over 6'2" tall and the shipper wanted more $ if they were not removed.

I did not notice the gap prior to taking it apart.  Big mistake.  However they went back on with no problems,

and there is no way anything could have changed.

13 hours ago, JFranklin said:

From what I see it is not the glass but the hinge or frame that is skewed. The side with the gap looks most correct.

I believe you are correct. The space between the hinge/bolts is closer on the pass side, thus the overlap.  The brackets

are identical except for this difference. Also where the bolts screw into the brackets, there is a wider spot in the casting.

The bolt hole appears to be in the original location.

Yes, I talked to my glass guy and he says he can grind off 1/8 or so.  I will cut the frame prior.  Could also replace glass

if grinding don't go well.  The unevenness of the two panels will not be apparent I believe.

16 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

If you can't adjust it out, maybe one new glass cut to fit will fix it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Afriend and my self are currently working on a survior SF 4cyl 7pass touring. The original plate glass windshield was beveled where the glass metin the middle with no gasket. The upper window was the outer segment.  Beveled the 45 degrees from inside to outside.  I can probably find a parts book drawing if you need it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured it out.  The small bracket on the top glass, pass side had moved down about 1/4 inch.  We adjusted it yesterday and both pieces of glass are now parallel.  Can't see how I missed this before. Now onto clutch problems.  I recall seeing a thread about a fellow in Orange CA who redid the leather.  I am looking to contact him or someone else about this issue.  i will start a new thread.  Thanks again!