68 Riviera Fuel Sending Unit / Specific One Year Only?

Guest Martys LA Auto

Guest Martys LA Auto
Hey guys, does anyone know if the fuel sending unit for a 68' Riviera is unique to this vehicle - or if it was shared with other 68' era Buicks or GMs? I'm not seeing a listing for an aftermarket unit anywhere online at the standard restorations sites. If it is unique, why? What makes this year / unit so proprietary? I do see that it has a plug which I am not seeing for other after market sending units for the Skylark for example. Any information would be very helpful, thanks in advance!
  •  

Guest Martys LA Auto

Hey Scott, thanks for jumping in - I'll take a picture of the unit next time I'm at the shop and post - but an expert I met on here that I purchased parts from who is a real wizard has some old Buick parts books / shop manuals and checked the part number - it seems to be 100% unique to this vehicle / year. I'm still not clear on what makes it different than the sending unit in the Skylark for example, but there is something about it that makes it special to this year / make model. Really blows my mind how specific they got on some of this stuff on this car - figure they could have saved money using a unit that was interchangeable with a handful of models. 

The tank shape (primarily the depth) on the 66-70s were unique to the Riviera model so that narrows the application significantly. 69 and 70 used an in-tank fuel pump so those units would likely be different. As far as the difference between the 66/67 and 68. Not sure. The 66-67 units were 90 ohm. The difference could be minor not affecting interchangeability. But still, you won't find a new replacement for the 66-67 either.

Are you sure yours is bad? Often they can be repaired.

Guest Martys LA Auto

Hey JZRIV! Thanks for joining in on this - what you are describing does make a lot of sense regarding tank size / shape. I'm not sure my sending unit is bad, but I dropped the tank to clean it and figured since the vehicle had stood at least 6-7 years, that it would probably be best to start fresh with a new component.. But nope! Doesn't look like that is in the cards, lol. I'll have to bench test it and keep my fingers crossed, happy this mystery is solved though - I'm still half tempted to buy a aftermarket unit for a Skylark and line them up to see what the psychical difference is. I knew before buying the vehicle that parts were harder to come by, but wow - I guess I have to approach everything from this point on with the assumption that it'll be near impossible to find replacement parts, if at all. :P

If your original is working, it will be better quality than ANY aftermarket. I have taken these units apart and successfully cleaned the variable resistor portion. I operate it one extreme to the other 50-100 times while watching the ohmmeter to make sure its consistent. Don't want to have to pull it back out.

Guest Martys LA Auto

Makes 100% sense JZ, thanks for the advice - I guess at the end of the day these units aren't overly complicated mechanically and can be worked with to restore. Let me ask, does your Riv have what I would describe as an aluminum loop of pipe that is located in the right hand trunk area under the hinges? The two ends come out near the tank / near the sending unit. Is this part of the venting system would you know?