1929 DeSoto Bus Coupe info

GaryBudd

Just got the car out of storage after 40 years.This will be my first time with a car of this type,it belonged to a relative to left  it to me.So  much to learn.I have purchased a parts book  and have original owners manual.I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions as I go along.I am looking for a service manual if anyone could direct me I would appreciate it.First question to group is how do you remove door  and window crank handles? I intend to keep it original as a fun driver.

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

First of all, it is a two door sedan or coach. The coupe has a rumble seat or trunk as part of the rear. To remove the handles, push in on the handle escutcheon until you see a pin hole in the handle. Simply push the pin out and it is spring loaded, so be careful. We will want a lot more photos because we love photos. There is no "service" manual for the cars. Didn't have that until about 1933-34. The "owner's instruction book" will give a LOT of information.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the pictures, it looks like the wood framework of the body is in reasonable shape.  This can be a major problem in these cars if the wood is rotten.  Check the areas around the door hinges and the wood over the door openings.  If the top leaked you may find damage up there.  The body is the same as a 29 Plymouth, but you get two extra cylinders with the DeSoto.  These are fun cars and fairly easy to work on.  Enjoy!

Oh....don't know if you know this, but the center, oval medallion on the upper dashboard is the FEDCO number. A good rubbing or close photo of that would reveal the numbers. Those determine the build date. They are VERY, VERY difficult to read, but sometimes a different angle will reveal the information.

Bezel is there but very hard to read.I've enclosed a photo of the motor,shows Silver Dome with a number 40836 7. Really don't know about engine.With this forums help I hope to get to drive it someday.Thanks for reply's.Maybe I'm blind but I can't find an oil filter.

IMG_0320.JPG

More questions.There is nothing connected to oil pressure gauge,looks like it would go to oil pan right side towards the rear.Same with speedometer no cable,not sure where it would connect.Lastly for now,what is the pedal to the right of starter pedal for? Thank you.

There should be a connection above the oil pan for the oil pressure tubing. Speedometer cable connects to the transmission. The round pedal is the accelerator.  The pedal to the right of that is the starter pedal.

9 minutes ago, hwellens said:

Looks like your carburetor is hooked up to an electric pump. That will work, but, I think it originally had a vacuum tank mounted to the firewall.

Yep. You can see in the passenger side engine photo where there was a vacuum tank mounted on the firewall.

Another question about oil pressure gauge tubing.I have enclosed a photo of a tubing coming from just above oil pan.This is where I would think it should go.As you can see it is broken off and there was no tubing at the back of the gauge.It would seem that if this is the tubing that it would spray oil if car was running.I am so grateful to all who have responded.

DSCF2373.JPG

Another question about oil pressure gauge tubing.I have enclosed a photo of a tubing coming from just above oil pan.This is where I would think it should go.As you can see it is broken off and there was no tubing at the back of the gauge.It would seem that if this is the tubing that it would spray oil if car was running.I am so grateful to all who have responded.

DSCF2373.JPG

That's the oil return line.  If you had a remote oil filter it would dump into this line and back into the sump.  There should be a fitting below and to the right of the distributor that feeds the oil pressure gauge.  This fitting may have two openings, one for the gauge and one for the line to the oil filter.

• Like 1

Here is a shot of my motor.  The red circle shows the high pressure outlet that feeds the oil pressure gauge (and the oil filter, if you have one,) while the green circle shows the oil return hole which will have a fitting screwed into it after painting.  This is where the oil goes back into the sump.  The blue circle is where the line to the temperature gauge goes.  The second shots shows my oil filter.  This is a period NOS aftermarket unit I found, but they all work pretty much the same way.  It's not hooked up yet in the picture.

IMG_7323a.thumb.jpg.17ffe61b4c14c59269e04c16ae3ef9a1.jpg

IMG_7439.thumb.jpg.36dab0304c7b56208b0032a30863d2b2.jpg

IMG_7441.thumb.jpg.cdc0c6e8d1473b7e387d3d7c97ea814b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JPHIL said:

Also notice that a brake fluid reservoir has been added to the firewall

Can others suggest where I can find one for my 1932 Roadster..would save a lot of headaches when adding fluid.

Phil

That is a feature of the earlier master cylinders.  Those cylinders had no internal reservoir and used the "tin can" to hold the fluid.  My 29 Plymouth had a set up like that.  The later master cylinders have a built in reservoir.  I know there are aftermarket remote containers like this that can be adapted and used as remote fillers, but they are mostly hot rod style units that wouldn't look right on an original car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaryBudd said:

I just can't thank everyone on here enough for the info.This is my first restoration and at times I get lost in it. 69 retired and really enjoying the car so far.

That is EXACTLY what it's all about. Learning, giddiness and enjoyment of the hobby.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GaryBudd said:

Still more questions.Every day I find something to ask about.What is the crank handle on the interior directly behind the windshield wiper motor for?

If not stripped or broken, that is supposed to lift the windshield a few inches for ventilation along the bottom of the windshield. You can see this windshield opened....

opened windshield 1929 DeSoto.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taylormade said:

You've got me on that one!  My 32 and my 48 Plymouth both have the threaded hole for the temp gauge sender.  Does your car have a temperature gauge?  I'm sure other DeSoto owners will chime in.

I think it only has oil, gas and amp gauges. Temperature gauge came later, I believe.

• Like 1

On February 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM, GaryBudd said:

Just got the car out of storage after 40 years.This will be my first time with a car of this type,it belonged to a relative to left  it to me.

Very cool!  I like what you plan to do with it, too.  Glad you posted additional pics!  Hope you have fun with this, both the learning process & the driving!

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"When you're surrounded by friends, they say the fun never ends" | Glen Campbell | 'Country Boy'

• Like 1