1966 Riviera on Bring a Trailer

bodayguy

Pretty color -- and another apparent GS with standard interior and crank-up windows!  Wheels appear to be later ('71-up) variety.  I get the exterior pot metal pitting, but interior close-ups indicate this car has seen high interior humidity.  That would require closer inspection...

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Pretty color -- and another apparent GS with standard interior and crank-up windows!  Wheels appear to be later ('71-up) variety.  I get the exterior pot metal pitting, but interior close-ups indicate this car has seen high interior humidity.  That would require closer inspection...

That's not a GS engine compartment.  No finned covers, no chrome "pancake" air cleaner.  You'd think if someone were going to clone something and try to pass it off as something it's not, they'd go to some trouble to get it close.

There was a local CL ad recently for and '82 "Special Edition" Riviera.  It was a "Special Edition", at least in the seller's eye, because it had some aftermarket plastic door lock protectors on it that said 'Special Edition.' 

Or like the guy from Topeka who tried to sell me his '96 Roadmaster Wagon.  He said it was one of the few Collector's Editions made that year.  He should have done some research.  Blew his cover and I didn't think much of anything else he said.  If he'd have done his research, he'd have know that because '96 was scheduled to be the last year for the Roadmaster wagon, every single Roadmaster Wagon that rolled off the assembly line in '96 was a "Collector's Edition." Came with a hood ornament and center caps that said Collectors Edition.  I guess I should go out and find a set of covers and a hood ornament for my '94 and make it "one of a kind."

Here's a picture of a '66 Gran Sport engine.  This is how they came from the factory.  A dealer installed dual four barrel was available, then starting in March or April of '66 Buick built 179 factory shipped dual four barrel cars off the assembly line (iike Jason's) with a different engine code.

66-gs-air.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

7 hours ago, PWB said:

The site states it as an applied (GS) badge. (Which I can never understand) :huh:

Gotta give the guy credit for a complete interior color change. A herculean effort.

I'm impressed - at least.

He forgot the tilt and turn signal lever ends! Lol.....I would need to check my reference material but I dont think the red interior was available in `66 in STANDARD trim.

Tom

28 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Thats custom Sir.

I believe Gabriel is correct here.

e.thumb.jpg.c32e54d708b82260489651a5882a9381.jpg

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The dual snorkel air cleaner was part of the dual four barrel set up, either dealer or factory installed.  Same as in 64 and 65.

The "chrome" dual snorkel was on the '64 and '65, and I believe the MZ '66, the one pictured above I also think is custom built.

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

I believe Gabriel is correct here.

e.thumb.jpg.c32e54d708b82260489651a5882a9381.jpg

The "chrome" dual snorkel was on the '64 and '65, and I believe the MZ '66, the one pictured above I also think is custom built.

I didn't see this picture the first time I looked. In the other picture, I just saw that it wasn't chrome and the engine didn't have finned valve covers.  

PS - pretty decent job too.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)