HPOF Question

John348

Thanks Matt,

I thought it was 30 and I realized I had registered my 88 Chevy Celebrity station wagon for the Ocala Meet. Being the show is very close to where I live I thought I would bring a few cars. My in-laws bought it new and my father in law had passed away about 10 years ago and my 98 year old mother in law has not driven in real long time. Last year she told me she wanted to junk her car, I had thought that it was sold long before. So she gave it to me. I remember there are strict rules about re-paint but he had a few bad accidents in the early 90's before he stopped driving so the entire was painted, it really does not matter to me if it certifies or not. It still has all the original hoses. You just don't see them anymore and it is nice 40,000 mile car.

002.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks, but I don't really care about the grill badge all that much. The only reason I am bringing the car is that the meet is about 3 miles from where it is stored in Florida, otherwise it would just sit in the corner of the garage.It's not about the badge for me. The close location just enables me to bring a few cars, otherwise I am just able to take one and doubt this car would ever be the one that I would take.

He had such a bad collision with the car I was surprised that they lived, the car was about 2 years old at the time. My wife is trying to find a photograph of the car after the collision at my mother-in-laws house now. The insurance company at the time wanted total the car and he did not want to take the loss so he found someone to fix it. He was a tough Polish immigrant. I was just looking at it and you can see a slight buckle in the roof over the drivers door. It is what it is, the only time the car was out over night was when they went on trips.

I guess if he never had it repaired then the car would considered unrestored today. I don't really see anybody restoring any of these cars ever, you could never find the plastic parts for the interior if they were damaged 

14 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

There is always the Drivers Class if you don't think it will work in HPOF. Different grill badge but still a good parking place.

Jim I have five cars registered, 3 are HPOF cars one already certified, the Celebrity wagon, it makes things a lot easier on me if everything is near (hopefully next to) each other. I hope to have my 60 Impala finished for class judging, I had gotten a Junior with it in 2003 at that time it was an original paint car and while pretty good it was not that good. It would have been the perfect HPOF car but the class did not exist.  A mistake loading it in the trailer lead to a total repaint of the 60, and along everything else from chrome to body cushions...

Like I mentioned in an earlier post if this meet was not as close to where I live in Florida the car would never be at an AACA Meet, I have too many other cars that are a little more special to me that I would bring.

Ironically one of the other cars I am binging I am bringing is an 1985 Caprice 9 passenger station wagon that I purchased from my in-laws neighbor five years ago, sold by the same dealership. I purchased this to use as a second car while at my house in Florida, I was looking for one for a few months when this one surfaced. It was still running the original R-12 in A/C system until I noticed that the compressor leaked over the summer. The Celebrity still has the original R-12 blowing cold also. A lot has to be said for storing cars inside from day one, these two cars are a perfect example of how weather and UV light can do a lot of damage.

ebay plus 064.JPG

• Like 1

My first car my parents lent me was an '88 Celebrity wagon! They bought it new and it was pretty basic with the 2.5 motor. Great car that I really enjoyed as a 12 year old machine, and it got me bit with the wagon bug. Good to see one got saved!

2 hours ago, Frantz said:

My first car my parents lent me was an '88 Celebrity wagon! They bought it new and it was pretty basic with the 2.5 motor. Great car that I really enjoyed as a 12 year old machine, and it got me bit with the wagon bug. Good to see one got saved!

Hey Doug,

this one is pretty basic also. My father-in-law was a Polish immigrant, who was a no frills kind of guy, his idea of going out to dinner was going to Burger King with a coupon! I remember when he bought the car he made me go with him because he did not believe that they did not offer a standard shift transmission. The sad part was he sold his 64 Chevelle Wagon with out asking me if I wanted it, and it was just as clean as the Celebrity is now, that was a 6 cylinder three speed car. He sold it to one of his Polish friends who was a house painter so you could imagine what it looked like in a few weeks after he sold it, shame......

He ended up getting the 2.8 because he said he wanted a 6 cylinder because they were good on gas, I don't think he knew that there was a 4 cylinder or he would have gotten that instead.  The sticker says 20 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, not bad..... The window sticker was $13,774, I have to look and see what he paid for it, I know it was not much less. The only reason this one got saved was by accident. The price was right and I had the space so it was no problem to keep.