Looking for Stutz Bearcat 1939 was dark green

Guest Looking...

Guest Looking...

I will cross post in 'general'. This might be impossible... I am looking to see if my Aunt's Stutz Bearcat might be one of the few surviving . The car was dark green (per my father). During WW2 when many cars were given to the government to melt down into ammunition, this car was given. I have no idea if any cars survived. The few Stutz B- at this time did cars have vin/owner title/registration papers?  There was one at the Smithsonion that we went to see in ~1967 but the color was dark blue. Have no idea if restorers try to restore to original color. At that time the gentleman in Scottsdale AZ was supposed to have one, and a third by another private person. I do not know if t&ere were different 'models' of Bearcat. I did see a picture of a dark green when I Googled '1939 Stutz Bearcat picture' today but just a picture, no info. If a name helps, let me know.  Thank you.

Can you post a picture of the car?   Or a picture of one like what you are looking for?    Where was the car located when owned in your family?   The car was not a 1939 as Stutz was long out of business by then.   The last Bearcat model was built in 1933.     

Guest Looking...

Hi K8096, Thanks. I could not find any pics in the past in the older photo albumn. As far as a picture, I was about 12 when we went to the Smithsonion to look. My memory concept is just that it is one of the newer Bearcats. Anything I found online I cannot copy/paste. My Aunt /father were in Illinois as kids, but I know she lived in Philadelphia, PA in the 1950's. Do not know where during WW2. Everyone has passed away so nobody to ask. I can try to give more private info in an email....  javascript:;     I am not sure this inserted correctly. When I googled 'Stutz Bearcat, the 'wikipediav popped up with several pictures under it. The third, green car looks like what I remember. Maybe I did not remember correctly about 1939, but remember dad saying it was sad that an expensive, newer car had to me melted. Thanks for any help. Have been look

Thanks for enquiring about antique cars here. If you want help finding a specific car -- you need to give the readers here specific information. What state and country do you live in, and what state and country did your Aunt live in during WWII? What year was the car and what serial numbers did it have? Did she buy it new? Name of dealer and 1st owner would help. Obviously you didn't mean the Stutz was a 1939, just that it was green then. All of these things will help separate the car from the 100s of others of that model and give people an idea of what to look for if it was given to someone else and not melted down to make things out of its steel and aluminum.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest Looking...

Hi jeff_a, I cannot answer some/most questions. Sorry. I know the car was given to be melted. Whether is was or not, I have no idea. I asked in original question if in those days title/owners name were registered?? I wish I knew dealer/when/where bought but I do not. That is why this may be impossible. (Geneology might help me here).  No family to ask left. Aunts first name was 'Honor' Middle name may have started with 'Z'. Do not know if she was married then-she was born 1904 so would have been 20's. Last name may have been Foulks. She was from Illinois as child but lived in Philadelphia in early 50's. Sorry cannot tell you more. Thank you

I have no idea of what became of her Stutz. but here's our girl

Honor Z Foulks

in the 1910 United States Federal Census

Name: Honor Z Foulks
Age in 1910: 2
Birth Year: abt 1908
Birthplace: Missouri
Home in 1910: St Louis Ward 12, Saint Louis City, Missouri
Street: Colorado Avenue
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's name: Arthur W Foulks
Father's Birthplace: Illinois
Mother's name: Ursula A Foulks
Mother's Birthplace: Illinois
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Arthur W Foulks 36
Ursula A Foulks 33
Honor Z Foulks 2

Good luck with your search. The realities are that there is no comprehensive list of prewar cars that survive, at least available to the public...and only about 1 out of a thousand of those old cars survive(that's being optimistic). There are exceptions(the rarer the car the better), but most who look for Uncle Fred's old 1910-1920 Buick will never find it. I do a lot of looking for info on Peerless cars and there's one surviving V-16 Peerless. Technically, there were 3 more with aluminum V-12 and V-16 motors that were supposedly junked. It's easy for me to fantasize on their survival......as there is no photographic evidence of them being scrapped......but it's unrealistic of me to wish they still exist. Too bad, because a second V-16, if someone had squirreled it away in a garage when Murphy coachbuilders closed in Pasadena in 1931, would be the first million dollar Peerless(IMO). 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)