63 transmission/drive shaft noise?

macc

I haven't driven my car since summer ended and when I went to start it the other day it had a good whine to it when it's in gear. More so in drive then low or reverse. I pulled the car out and checked the fluids and the tranny fluid was not even registering on the dipstick so I added fluid hoping the noise would go away. When I went to take it around the block as soon as I gave it a lil gas a loud knock came from under the car it sounded like the driveshaft was hitting something. It doesn't do it in reverse only in drive. And the tranny whine is still there. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? 

For clunk check the driveshaft center support mount and bearing located in frame tunnel.  The mounts fail and vulcanized rubber breaks away from steel mount allowing DS to flop around. 63 is special from later years. If you need one I think Classicbuicks.com has them. 

13 hours ago, macc said:

I haven't driven my car since summer ended and when I went to start it the other day it had a good whine to it when it's in gear. More so in drive then low or reverse. I pulled the car out and checked the fluids and the tranny fluid was not even registering on the dipstick so I added fluid hoping the noise would go away. When I went to take it around the block as soon as I gave it a lil gas a loud knock came from under the car it sounded like the driveshaft was hitting something. It doesn't do it in reverse only in drive. And the tranny whine is still there. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? 

But - where did the transmission fluid go? No Winter can do that trick. :huh:

Thanks for the replies I'll have to get under her when this rain stops and take a look at that center support. As far as the missing fluid goes I noticed one of the tranny cooler lines was leaking so I'm guessing that's when it came from. Should be an easy fix. I park the car in my side yard on dirt so there no puddle of fluid on the ground that builds up.