CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

9 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.

New cars for the most do not leak fluids. You check the car for leaks and if its a leaker, you load on the bottom. I have hauled about 20k vehicles with 2 claims for leaks. One a Rolls leaked brake fluid on the bottom car. The Rolls just came from a 5k brake overhaul. The repair shop paid the claim. Another one was a 1940s battery tipped and acid washed a Benz.  The damage cars that you repaired were company drivers with day cabs that would hold up to 15 cars. They worked on volume and you had so many minutes to load and unload. I would not hire one of these drivers because of their lack of careful skills. These guys made good money being in the union. I was hauling new Vetts 9 at a time. They would hire us because our damage rate was very low. I have also owned a collision shop in MI and the cars that we would get from the overflow from dealers that were transport related.

1 hour ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

Chains are no longer used. If they are using chains, they are behind times. I stop using chains 10 years ago.

2017-05-24 16_42_51-Automotive Wheel Tie Downs - Heavy Duty 5,000 lb _ Discount Ramps.png

2017-05-24 16_44_43-Erickson Trailer Cargo Control 77314 Review Video _ etrailer.com.png

Interesting article about car hauling.

1 hour ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Country Travler,

And you would not have any work if not for the car haulers. They kept food on your table. And the cars that were also damaged that came off the assembly line. Let's not forget about those. HEHE!! Your welcome. LOL!!!

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here is one but unfortunately it's a Conv't but is an auto car.  Supposably from CA with a new $5K motor rebuild. Looks like it's been sitting around a while and needs a good detailing.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6145917335.html

00x0x_9J8uajEVOzr_600x450.jpg00U0U_2VpEhVXQxBH_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_4QimOF4QhNb_600x450.jpg

A.S., Sorry for my delay in returning to you, got into  O.T. shipping.

Thanks for the find here.

Connecticut is due north, the 140 carbs and the convert are not number one on the list, but worth a call, to get more info. 

I appreciate the assistance, hoping the search concludes quickly.

Bob.

I would like to get back to my topic on the thread, still looking for a turn key, driver quality or above '65 to '69 Corvair Monza Coupe, prefer the 110 engine, must have P.G., only color not wanted is evening orchid.

I do have a line on a decent Monza Coupe, the owner is "considering the deal", but not truly in a hurry to sell....... so my search must continue.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, auburnseeker said:

Here is one but unfortunately it's a Conv't but is an auto car.  Supposably from CA with a new $5K motor rebuild. Looks like it's been sitting around a while and needs a good detailing.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6145917335.html

00x0x_9J8uajEVOzr_600x450.jpg00U0U_2VpEhVXQxBH_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_4QimOF4QhNb_600x450.jpg

This red convert. story is an interesting one.

Silly me, when I try to sell a car, I make certain the windows are clean, I make certain the vehicle runs well, I check all the tire pressures, check all lights and electricals for proper operation, then make certain the fluid levels are full and to the full level. I maintain 3 ring notebooks of any and all maintenance and repairs, whether it be "customer pay" or "warranty work", which I pass on to the next caretaker.  But that is me.

This convert. owner says he has $5,000 in receipts for an engine rebuild, but the car won't run !

"Not to worry, the 4 carbs just need to be adjusted".

Is there a warranty on the engine work, I ask.  Only to the owner who paid the $5,000 bill, I'm told.

For $5,000 out of MY wallet, for a Corvair engine rebuild, I would damn well expect the engine to purrrrr like a kitten.

Wouldn't the seller be certain to have the car running ...... and have the carbs adjusted BEFORE THE CAR IS PUT UP FOR SALE ????

Or just maybe there is no $5,000 engine rebuild and the "no run" is a heck of a lot more involved than adjusting the carbs.

At any rate, each phone call to an ad is an adventure of its own.

I thank A.S. for the lead, I do appreciate the interest in making a nice Corvair appear in my driveway.

The search continues.

I'm just throwing the possibilities your way.  I figured you can determine what will or won't work.  I did get the Auto trans part right though and figured you might not pass on a Conv't over a coupe if everything else was right about it.    I saw the non running part but figured if the guy was serious about selling,  he would get it running with an interested party on the line or have it fixed by someone who could so as to not lose the sale.  As usual the description never seems to answer all the questions a real car guy wants to know. 

I'll keep a look out.  I imagine a haul from my area to NC is alot cheaper than one from the West coast.

On May 24, 2017 at 0:43 PM, countrytravler said:

They are farming their work to other carriers. They are brokers. Victoria, How much is transport and the broker fee when you had your cars moved? Do they break it down for you? What is the carriers name on the door when you have a car transported? I find carriers when I'm driving around town at car lots loading or unloading cars. Also, check truck stops and cruise the internet for independents. When I have a tough move, had one from my shop (Northern CA) to ND, the hardest move to do, I ran an ad on UShip and got it moved by a single trailer for 700.00. He was going there to pick a car up that he bought. I was getting prices from 1800.00 to 2k. Also on claims, some truck ins companies will not pay out a claim unless the car has ins. Never happened to me but it happened to others. My 1st new truck pictured when I was based in Coral Springs FL. 1996 Volvo.

18582339_174928376370115_1529975051473808479_n.jpg

18698179_176641342865485_6169014949190819771_n.jpg

2bf4d72c-2e25-4df6-99f3-571bed0d55b1.jpg

I am paying right about 2k for enclosed. It's about 2200 miles. They don't break down the fees. Reliable is 2700 and they go up from there. The rest of the cars I have hauled but this one is too big for my 16' trailer. It has the continental kit.

The driver I got dispatched has a newer Volvo 18 wheeler and a 2 story trailer with a lift gate. I'm hoping for the best. I did a bunch of research and I've been a nervous wreck about this, but the carrier has good equipment at least. Montway says they have "double" insurance because they and the carrier have it. I think a claim would be horrible no matter what. I have almost never had good interactions with insurance companies. I'm hoping for the best. 

Edit: Maybe it was Reliable that has double insurance. Not sure and hoping not to have to find out. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm just throwing the possibilities your way.  I figured you can determine what will or won't work.  I did get the Auto trans part right though and figured you might not pass on a Conv't over a coupe if everything else was right about it.    I saw the non running part but figured if the guy was serious about selling,  he would get it running with an interested party on the line or have it fixed by someone who could so as to not lose the sale.  As usual the description never seems to answer all the questions a real car guy wants to know. 

I'll keep a look out.  I imagine a haul from my area to NC is alot cheaper than one from the West coast.

A.S., I understand you are just throwing possibilities, and I appreciate each & every possibility you send my way.

My "rant", I guess, is telling the story of how OTHERS make attempts to sell their vehicles.

Again, thanks !

13 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am paying right about 2k for enclosed. It's about 2200 miles. They don't break down the fees. Reliable is 2700 and they go up from there. The rest of the cars I have hauled but this one is too big for my 16' trailer. It has the continental kit.

The driver I got dispatched has a newer Volvo 18 wheeler and a 2 story trailer with a lift gate. I'm hoping for the best. I did a bunch of research and I've been a nervous wreck about this, but the carrier has good equipment at least. Montway says they have "double" insurance because they and the carrier have it. I think a claim would be horrible no matter what. I have almost never had good interactions with insurance companies. I'm hoping for the best. 

Edit: Maybe it was Reliable that has double insurance. Not sure and hoping not to have to find out. 

Reliable have their own rigs and they also lease their trailer to owner operators. I know the owner very well. He lives on 8 mile in Canton MI. No such thing as double ins.

1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

Reliable have their own rigs and they also lease their trailer to owner operators. I know the owner very well. He lives on 8 mile in Canton MI. No such thing as double ins.

More accurately it's "back up insurance". Getting the actual worth of the car or cost to repair correctly is what I think would be an uphill battle though. 

Reliable is very well known, but for 35% again the price, it was too much for my situation. I communicated with several carriers and none of them could explain thier claim process with any clarity or back up to prove what they said. So I made decision and I will hope for the best. 

image.jpg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

More accurately it's "back up insurance". Getting the actual worth of the car or cost to repair correctly is what I think would be an uphill battle though. 

Reliable is very well known, but for 35% again the price, it was too much for my situation. I communicated with several carriers and none of them could explain thier claim process with any clarity or back up to prove what they said. So I made decision and I will hope for the best. 

image.jpg

Here is how ins works. POVs has to have comp. Example. Your car catches on fire and damaged some cars, equipment, the ins company from the trucking company will come after you. I have witnessed this happening. I will disconnect the battery on older cars. Make sure that the carrier has enough cargo ins in case the whole load is wiped out in a horrific accident. Any related weather damage falls on you, act of nature mostly not covered. Had a car damaged from a sand storm in CO. My ins would not cover. The customer sued me and they lost. Backup ins is a waste of money 2 ins comp will not pay out a claim. It's a scam that a lot of people fall for it. 

Unfortunately this one just turned up but it probably has 2 many doors for you although it is an automatic hardtop with supposably original paint and interior touting 38419 original miles and a 30 year slumber in a climate controlled garage for $4900 with some fresh mechanicals to make it roadworthy. 

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6152083263.html

00C0C_dq6qhosKia2_600x450.jpg00w0w_lEZ7aC3PE0s_600x450.jpg

00N0N_cPiLjmzmpsd_600x450.jpg00f0f_ntWcuZH7yp_600x450.jpg00L0L_istMZ51oANJ_600x450.jpg00909_lGOCYsrzid8_600x450.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, countrytravler said:

OK, here we go, am wondering now how many miles my wife and I have actually traveled, looking at Monzas. We saw this one, 2-3 months ago, about 4 hours from our home. This one is near Raleigh. Shows 15,000 miles, digits are very uneven on odometer. Engine was a heavy smoker out the tailpipe, saw $$$$ to get this engine corrected. Nice appearance though, a good 10 footer.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, auburnseeker said:

Unfortunately this one just turned up but it probably has 2 many doors for you although it is an automatic hardtop with supposably original paint and interior touting 38419 original miles and a 30 year slumber in a climate controlled garage for $4900 with some fresh mechanicals to make it roadworthy. 

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/6152083263.html

00C0C_dq6qhosKia2_600x450.jpg00w0w_lEZ7aC3PE0s_600x450.jpg

00N0N_cPiLjmzmpsd_600x450.jpg00f0f_ntWcuZH7yp_600x450.jpg00L0L_istMZ51oANJ_600x450.jpg00909_lGOCYsrzid8_600x450.jpg

A more door, not my first pick, but did like the looks of the car ...... but this is a 500 with no bucket seats. Not only do we like bucket seat appearance better, but also necessary ..... I'm tall, wife is not .... no happy medium with a bench seat in a small car.  Almost worth considering the idea of getting buckets and redo front and rear seat upholstery. Earmark this one. Thanks A.S., did you notice back up light option was not utilized.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, countrytravler said:

Seller’s Description: CHEVROLET: 1966 Corvair 110 4-dr hardtop, auto, bronze w/cream interior, excellent condition, all new mechanicals, turn key and go, asking $7,500. 770-735-2693, GA; for pics:

Price: $7,500 

A month or so back, there was a 2 day CorvairFest in Helen, Georgia.  This 4 door has been for sale for a long time, so while we in Helen, we called this number in Jasper. No reply. I lived in Ellijay, GA, which is 30 miles north of Jasper. Will try this guy again. Would have been easy pesy when we were in Helen.  No such luck.

7 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

A more door, not my first pick, but did like the looks of the car ...... but this is a 500 with no bucket seats. Not only do we like bucket seat appearance better, but also necessary ..... I'm tall, wife is not .... no happy medium with a bench seat in a small car.  Almost worth considering the idea of getting buckets and redo front and rear seat upholstery. Earmark this one. Thanks A.S., did you notice back up light option was not utilized.

I did see that.  I think it's the first one I have seen without backup lights. 

58 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I did see that.  I think it's the first one I have seen without backup lights. 

Having a problem getting the craigslist relay to work on this ad, can't get my email to "honor" the relay info as a valid address. Will continue to try.

I was at a car show yesterday and forgot my phone and camera.

There was a Yenko badged Corvair there.

Didn't know they made those. It had a side different window line, The area between the back window and the rear side window was odd looking albeit quite striking. Also a vent on the engine cover as well as a small spoiler.

I didn't see the engine.

Found this pic on Google.,