CAR FOUND: '65 TO '69 CORVAIR MONZA COUPE

Need zip to zip

Open or closed transport

Window date for pick up

Year, make of vehicle

Inop?

If inop-roll, steer, brakes?

Residential or commercial on pick and drop?

If residential, may need flatbed service at both ends.

Most residential have laws from going in with a big truck.

Make sure that you have comp ins in case something happens in transit, weather etc.

Thanks

Dave

PS

Just some pictures of Corvairs.

1298.jpg

ab0c01cee625d87d745b19ead3bbc53f.jpg

c309b32e973398efe1147d8fc811527f.jpg

corvair-ad-cu.jpg

Corvair-towing-3.jpg

67c27411ebea13d69138c0cb57164d1e.jpg

2014-11-10 14_00_15-300 hp from Corvair turbo_.png

20140503_133147.jpg

benLynn-rampside4.jpg

S147_Chevrolet_1961_Corvair-95_Rampside-Pickup_1R124S118302_900.jpg

I just was this post . I have a 1968 Monza convertible, 110 hp, 4 speed car, am radio . It runs and yard drives with working brakes, lights ect, has new tires and decent interior.The dash pan is nice. The body is quite good, great floors and rockers. It has a old repaint on it .The car is cream yellow with black interior and top. . It has a PA title .I would like $3000.00 Mike West 585 738 1541 Car is located in Livonia NY

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

My friend's car is a stick car so that one is out.  I'll keep my eyes out for any more and pass them along. Looked at a coupe locally  yesterday for sale but it was crusty.  

Thanks A.S., certainly appreciate your assistance.

1 hour ago, mikewest said:

I just was this post . I have a 1968 Monza convertible, 110 hp, 4 speed car, am radio . It runs and yard drives with working brakes, lights ect, has new tires and decent interior.The dash pan is nice. The body is quite good, great floors and rockers. It has a old repaint on it .The car is cream yellow with black interior and top. . It has a PA title .I would like $3000.00 Mike West 585 738 1541 Car is located in Livonia NY

For me, I need a P.G. for certain.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Need zip to zip

Open or closed transport

Window date for pick up

Year, make of vehicle

Inop?

If inop-roll, steer, brakes?

Residential or commercial on pick and drop?

If residential, may need flatbed service at both ends.

Most residential have laws from going in with a big truck.

Make sure that you have comp ins in case something happens in transit, weather etc.

Thanks

Dave

PS

Just some pictures of Corvairs.

1298.jpg

ab0c01cee625d87d745b19ead3bbc53f.jpg

c309b32e973398efe1147d8fc811527f.jpg

corvair-ad-cu.jpg

Corvair-towing-3.jpg

67c27411ebea13d69138c0cb57164d1e.jpg

2014-11-10 14_00_15-300 hp from Corvair turbo_.png

20140503_133147.jpg

benLynn-rampside4.jpg

S147_Chevrolet_1961_Corvair-95_Rampside-Pickup_1R124S118302_900.jpg

David, when I get to the point where I can give you specific information, I will make contact with you.

• Like 1

I am wondering how that guy towing that big boat keeps clutch and brakes in his poor little Vair'.

For that matter I wouldn't want to be in front of him when he has to stop the thing in traffic.

With no bow stop he will be wearing that boat if he can get brakes to the ground.

I love the early convertibles.

1 minute ago, countrytravler said:

All depends on when you're ready to ship. Are you shippiing? 

I have been shipping cars from Texas to Oregon for almost 3 years. I have not found anyone to transport them for that little per mile. Even Montway, open 2000 miles is over $1500 for a little Corvair.

NC to Oregon is almost 3K miles and strange thing, I just checked and it was CHEAPER even though more miles. (Under 1400.) Bob, you might check Montways shipping calculator: https://www.montway.com/

15 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I have been shipping cars from Texas to Oregon for almost 3 years. I have not found anyone to transport them for that little per mile. Even Montway, open 2000 miles is over $1500 for a little Corvair.

NC to Oregon is almost 3K miles and strange thing, I just checked and it was CHEAPER even though more miles. (Under 1400.) Bob, you might check Montways shipping calculator: https://www.montway.com/

Montway, the worst of the worst is nothing but a broker the works closely with Uship basically doing the double broker deal. Now your paying double brokerage.  Deal with a car hauler direct without paying 200.00 to 400.00 brokerage fee that I heard that they are charging. I do not have 1st hand knowledge but that is what I have been hearing through my channels. Been hauling cars for 40 plus years owning 10 trucks till 6 years ago when I semi-retired. Oregon to Texas is an off route compare to route 90-80 corridor going east and west. Your route is tough one with one truck running that route compared to 20 running east and west. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Just now, countrytravler said:

Montway, the worst of the worst is nothing but a broker the works closely with Uship basically doing the double broker deal. Now your paying double brokerage.  Deal with a car hauler direct without paying 200.00 to 400.00 brokerage fee that I heard that they are charging. I do not have 1st hand knowledge but that is what I have been hearing through my channels. Been hauling cars for 40 plus years owning 10 trucks till 6 years ago when I semi-retired. Oregon to Texas is an off route compare to route 90-80 corridor going east and west. Your route is tough on with one truck running that route compared to 20 running east and west. 

I haven't found any independents that are less than 1/mile. If you know of any, please let me know. I can see what you are saying about the route. Also, my insurance won't cover the cars once it's on a trailer. (JC Taylor), I don't know of any that will. It's usually the responsibility of who is hauling the trailer. At least Montway has insurance as well as the drivers. They are not my first choice for sure, but I don't know of any good options.

My father owned a trucking business since the 70's and he always moved his own, but I've been moving most of them myself with a Tundra and his little car hauler. My Tundra is exactly like the one you pictured earlier and the car hauler is similar. Some of the cars are too big for the hauler though. ('79 LTC and a '57 Retractable).

21 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Will do .... thanks V.L.

6 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

What do you do that you have been shipping for 3 years from TX to OR? Another reason that route is high because of backhauls. I never would do that route because of that. A lot going to TX but not coming back to the west coast.

My father had a car collection in Texas. I live in Oregon. I've been liquidating his collection and moving some to Oregon. He had 7200 sq ft of garages plus a house, so also going through a lot of personal stuff as well. I would think that veggies come to Tx from CA at least. I have a buddy who drives for Saia and his route is Dallas to Southern CA. My dad lived in NH when he was a full-time trucker. He brought a lot of rust free southern cars home to NH on his empty trailer. Then he moved them to Tx when he retired.

Edit: I see, that was your point. A lot going to Tx, but not to the west coast...

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Just now, bobg1951chevy said:

If my "anticipated" Portland, Oregon to Hendersonville, NC is on a "favorable" west to east route, it would seem the rate to make that trip with a Corvair should be easily calculated.

I checked it and it was under 1400 from my home town (1 hour west of Portland, to Charlotte).

Montway is a broker and they do not insure cars. Their min cargo is 10k when you go into brokering. 10k does not go far with a 3 to 10 car hauler. I carried a 1 million cargo per truck when I was hauling. We had to have that to haul new cars. Thier video is showing car haulers with their name on it. Have to do further research.

SAFER Layout
Entity Type: BROKER  
Operating Status: AUTHORIZED FOR BROKER Property Out of Service Date: None
Legal Name: MONTWAY INC 
DBA Name:  
Physical Address: 4740 N. CUMBERLAND AVENUE SUITE 393
CHICAGO, IL   60656  
Phone: (224) 220-0221 
Mailing Address: 4740 N. CUMBERLAND AVENUE SUITE 393
CHICAGO, IL   60656  
USDOT Number: 2239816  State Carrier ID Number:  
MC/MX/FF Number(s): MC-611862

DUNS Number: -- 
Power Units: Drivers:  
MCS-150 Form Date:   MCS-150 Mileage (Year):  

Inspections:

Inspection Type Vehicle Driver Hazmat IEP
Inspections 0 0 0 0
Out of Service 0 0 0 0
Out of Service % 0% 0% 0% 0%
Nat'l Average %
(2009- 2010)
20.72% 5.51% 4.50% N/A

7 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Charlotte is 100 miles due east of me, I'm very, very close to Asheville, NC.

You can put your zip in the calculator. A Portland zip is 97232. It shouldn't vary the cost too much though.  There is a big Corvair presence in Oregon. My grandfather had them and even had an RV and I went to Rallys in Oregon and Cali when I was a kid. The entire west coast is big on them. I'm jealous it's cheaper than my shorter route. ;)

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, victorialynn2 said:

You can put your zip in the calculator. A Portland zip is 97232. It shouldn't vary the cost too much though.  There is a big Corvair presence in Oregon. My grandfather had them and even had an RV and I went to Rally's in Oregon and Cali when I was a kid. The entire west coast is big on them. I'm jealous it's cheaper than my shorter route. ;)

Thanks, I  have said that in my  ongoing search, many more Corvair Monzas have surfaced in the Portland or Seattle area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Have to say their rates are appealing !

They were recommended to me by my pal in Oregon who sells a lot of cars. I have some reservations because they are a broker, but no one is able to recommend anyone else reasonable to me. Most are closer to 1.25 per mile to OR. Reliable is at least 500 or so more. I've been quoting enclosed for the big '57. I had a trucker booked to PU last weekend, but he broke down so I'm waiting on another. 

2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

They were recommended to me by my pal in Oregon who sells a lot of cars. I have some reservations because they are a broker, but no one is able to recommend anyone else reasonable to me. Most are closer to 1.25 per mile to OR. Reliable is at least 500 or so more. I've been quoting enclosed for the big '57. I had a trucker booked to PU last weekend, but he broke down so I'm waiting on another. 

The idea of you utilizing a hired carrier makes good sense !

2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Just on the ones that don't fit on my trailer. ;)

I'll bet you could make a package deal with a car carrier company like in the pic that Country Travler  posted.

Maybe Country Travler could give you pointers as to how to make such a deal .

10 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I'll bet you could make a package deal with a car carrier company like in the pic that Country Travler  posted.

Maybe Country Travler could give you pointers as to how to make such a deal .

Thanks Bob. I don't have any others to ship at this time. Maybe in the future. Thanks!

13 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

The idea of you utilizing a hired carrier makes good sense !

They are farming their work to other carriers. They are brokers. Victoria, How much is transport and the broker fee when you had your cars moved? Do they break it down for you? What is the carriers name on the door when you have a car transported? I find carriers when I'm driving around town at car lots loading or unloading cars. Also, check truck stops and cruise the internet for independents. When I have a tough move, had one from my shop (Northern CA) to ND, the hardest move to do, I ran an ad on UShip and got it moved by a single trailer for 700.00. He was going there to pick a car up that he bought. I was getting prices from 1800.00 to 2k. Also on claims, some truck ins companies will not pay out a claim unless the car has ins. Never happened to me but it happened to others. My 1st new truck pictured when I was based in Coral Springs FL. 1996 Volvo.

18582339_174928376370115_1529975051473808479_n.jpg

18698179_176641342865485_6169014949190819771_n.jpg

2bf4d72c-2e25-4df6-99f3-571bed0d55b1.jpg

www.weshipyourcar.com shipped one of my 1939 Buick Specials, that didn't even roll, from San Francisco to Kentucky for $1400

they were the only company that would handle it since it didn't roll

they did say I was on a "good route"

he went through AZ and NM for some reason, must have had other stops, because that's not "on the way"--was over 2500 miles total one-way

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

www.weshipyourcar.com shipped one of my 1939 Buick Specials, that didn't even roll, from San Francisco to Kentucky for $1400

they were the only company that would handle it since it didn't roll

they did say I was on a "good route"

he went through AZ and NM for some reason, must have had other stops, because that's not "on the way"--was over 2500 miles total one-way

What type of trailer? How did they get it on and off? I would hire a flatbed at both ends. That is how this Chev was loaded and unloaded. Used a flatbed. Would not roll, steer and no brakes. No drivetrain. 1200 from CA to long island in 2010. Flatbed was 300.00 for both ends. So the bill was 1500.00 total

Other car haulers (5).JPG

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

It wasn't a huge car hauler like you have, it was a trailer that fit maybe 4-5 cars.  The guy said he usually hauls new pop-up campers cross country.  They put it on with a forklift and unloaded it with go-jacks and a flatbed tow truck.  The forklift was included I guess (I never paid anything) and I paid the flatbed $65 to take it from my house to the shop (hauler couldn't get there anyway)

1 minute ago, 39BuickEight said:

It wasn't a huge car hauler like you have, it was a trailer that fit maybe 4-5 cars.  The guy said he usually hauls new pop-up campers cross country.  They put it on with a forklift and unloaded it with go-jacks and a flatbed tow truck.  The forklift was included I guess (I never paid anything) and I paid the flatbed $65 to take it from my house to the shop (hauler couldn't get there anyway)

When we did cars from Copart, this is how they were loaded. Copart is an auction house for ins and donated vehicles.

4 hours ago, countrytravler said:

They are farming their work to other carriers. They are brokers. Victoria, How much is transport and the broker fee when you had your cars moved? Do they break it down for you? What is the carriers name on the door when you have a car transported? I find carriers when I'm driving around town at car lots loading or unloading cars. Also, check truck stops and cruise the internet for independents. When I have a tough move, had one from my shop (Northern CA) to ND, the hardest move to do, I ran an ad on UShip and got it moved by a single trailer for 700.00. He was going there to pick a car up that he bought. I was getting prices from 1800.00 to 2k. Also on claims, some truck ins companies will not pay out a claim unless the car has ins. Never happened to me but it happened to others. My 1st new truck pictured when I was based in Coral Springs FL. 1996 Volvo.

18582339_174928376370115_1529975051473808479_n.jpg

18698179_176641342865485_6169014949190819771_n.jpg

2bf4d72c-2e25-4df6-99f3-571bed0d55b1.jpg

If a person had a "nice" vehicle to be transported, I could not see using a multi-car carrier, thinking of all the possible paint damage from dripping fluids from the cars above.  Enclosed would have to be the way to go, I'm thinking.

1 minute ago, bobg1951chevy said:

If a person had a "nice" vehicle to be transported, I could not see using a multi-car carrier, thinking of all the possible paint damage from dripping fluids from the cars above.  Enclosed would have to be the way to go, I'm thinking.

Not really. Inclosed have damage also. Much tighter space. How do you think new cars get to the dealerships? I have had million dollar cars on my truck with no problems. That is why you find an owner operator. They are the most careful compare to just a guy driving a truck for a living. Here are some loads that I did over the years.

2016-06-07 08_50_26-(no subject) - dave@dodgecityvintage.com - Dodge City Vintage Mail.jpg

2016-06-07 08_54_54-New notification.jpg

12919646_1202342073109202_4538432028663777384_n.jpg

f25fd17e-67b5-4165-894e-fe525e5d96b8.jpg

inbox_14857__draft_1441332495816.jpeg

1674faf6-930d-49ed-8869-2e5c0eca2da9.jpg

20150827_091301.jpg

20150827_091314.jpg

20160121_152601.jpg

20160121_164846.jpg

20160121_164857.jpg

unnamed (25).jpg

My car hauler (4).JPG

My car hauler (7).JPG

Country Travler,

I'm retired from 35 years with GM (Chevrolet Division).

I understand how the vehicles get to the dealership, more importantly I really understand the dollars spent by GM and various carriers on "transportation claims".

When I saw the posted car carrier pic a few posts back ...... it lit up my memories of fluid damage to paint, body damage from swinging chains or lack of chains, etc.

A giant P.I.T.A., for all those involved.