Just bought a 1939 Buick 46-S

Guest CCB

On 3/26/2017 at 0:06 AM, 1939_Buick said:

Dash should be (faux) woodgrain.  It is hard to get the dash painted as woodgrain and look correct.

Many '39's have painted dash

If you send me a private message with your email I can send some images

Download every thing about 1939 Buick from here http://oldcarmanualproject.com/

And the 1942 shop manual.  Is in many parts, but very useful for all Buick Straight 8's

http://oldcarmanualproject.com/searchresults.html?cx=partner-pub-1753017650679806%3Au585dq67tc4&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=1942+buick&sa=Search&siteurl=www.oldcarmanualproject.com%2F&ref=&ss=3227j1497351j10&siteurl=www.oldcarmanualproject.com%2F&ref=&ss=3228j1498532j10

Disagree.  No '39s had a painted dash, not even the convertibles

1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

Series 60 Centuries have 15" wheels. Possibly swapped due to tire availability. 16" not hard to get. Try Dave T

Hang in there. You will have a fine car when sorted. Coupes are very desirable

A 1946 engine is a better engine that '39. Oil pump is 20% bigger.

3 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The later oil pump bolts right into 1939 Buicks, and putting one in should be one of the first things you do. The pre-1941 pump was inadequate.

Guest CCB

So far I can't seem to find the original turn signal lever that goes on the gear shifter. I'd love to fine one.

Try Skip Boyer who reproduces '39 plastic parts - here is the contact I copied from post on the forum late last year.

1348 Carlisle Pike Hanover, PA 17331 717 632 0670 - no web site.  Contact by phone call or USPS only.

The front fender "parking" lights were a $4.20 option.

The dash does not appear to be wood grain paint.....did Specials have the wood grain paint....or just the upper series?

It does have the second design grill.

My '39 66S has the oval Fisher body plate on the passanger side.

Guest CCB

Yes I believe all Buicks had the burgundy colored woodgrain paint, its just that it was common for people to paint over that in later years. I've seen pictures online where they are black or other colors. I'm sure that they were painted when the Buick got a new coat of paint or something.

Guest CCB

Can someone tell me when the car was made by the frame serial number 33445850. This also has the speedometer with odd increments, 15, 30, 45 etc..

On 3/26/2017 at 3:06 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Dash should be (faux) woodgrain.  It is hard to get the dash painted as woodgrain and look correct.

Many '39's have painted dash

16 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

What It meant was many '39 now have a painted dash

4 hours ago, CCB said:

Yes I believe all Buicks had the burgundy colored woodgrain paint, its just that it was common for people to paint over that in later years. I've seen pictures online where they are black or other colors. I'm sure that they were painted when the Buick got a new coat of paint or something.

The dash & window garnish moldings were a woodgrain finish. 

The steering column, etc was a burgundy paint

5 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

The front fender "parking" lights were a $4.20 option.

The dash does not appear to be wood grain paint.....did Specials have the wood grain paint....or just the upper series?

It does have the second design grill.

My '39 66S has the oval Fisher body plate on the passenger side.

All '39's had a woodgrain finish on the dash * window garnish moldings

If you have a pair of front fender "parking" lights at $4.20 for sale let me know :)

Can be ~ $400 on ebay now

7 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

What It meant was many '39 now have a painted dash

The dash & window garnish moldings were a woodgrain finish. 

The steering column, etc was a burgundy paint

If you think something is hard to do, try that '39 red mahogany woodgrain, so yes many simply painted it during restoration.  I painted one the base color maroon, only, myself.  But, it was still incorrect...just easy.  The steering column was maroon all the way down to the steering box inside the engine room...not woodgrained...same is true of the gearshift handle.  Garnish moldings were woodgrain with a blondish emblem in the middle of each door.  But as hard as the '39 is to do, the '36 is much worse to do.  I've seen experts fail to get the '36 right.

CCB: I have three 1939 Buicks in addition to my convertible coupe project, a 4 door sedan, a 46S coupe and a convertible coupe. I have surplus parts that I sell or trade at times, prefer to trade but I don't need much at this stage.  I really hate putting dollar values on old used parts. Think I have that radiator brace for example, know I have 5 or 6 decent 16" wheels, and a restoreable original air cleaner. I don't always respond to parts requests since I am a west coast resident, Oregon. Freight costs are expensive on bigger heavier parts. FYI all the parts cars are for sale or will be soon. Regards, Bob H

convert parts car Front, high angle (Small).jpg

248 (Small).JPG

021 (Small).JPG

Coupe R front corner, better (Small).JPG

1939 sixteen inch wheels (Small).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 11:33 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Never seem that before. Cannot ever remember seeing one in that position on a '39 before.

To me you have found the missing cowl emblem.

Try Dave T for the brace

The body by Fisher logo is on the seat because the seat is from a '41 Buick. I found that out by looking at many photos of Buick seats. They put the logo on the passenger side seat for those years. Another item not original to this car.