Chickasha swap meet

Joe in Canada

Have not been to Chickasha in about 15 years and I noticed it is two days on Fri. and Sat. Was it not a three day event Wed. to Fri. at one time or am I getting old and forgetful? Is Thursday a setup day by any chance? Is it still the same size or gotten smaller?

Seems to me that at one time(years ago)it was a 3-4 day meet. The past several years including last year its been Thurs-Friday. This year its been moved to Fri-Sat., and yes, some people along with vendors show for set-up day.  Some years its bigger, some years smaller, you just never know.. I always go, sometimes I find several things, and sometimes come home empty handed...  Tom

• Like 1

Check the Model T Ford Club of America discussion forum.  The Model T guys have lots of info on Chickasha and photos as well.  It's always been a great model T event I understand.  Wish I could get there sometime.

Terry

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Terry Bond said:

Check the Model T Ford Club of America discussion forum.  The Model T guys have lots of info on Chickasha and photos as well.  It's always been a great model T event I understand.  Wish I could get there sometime.

Terry

Almost as much fun as the Tidewater Swap Meet!

The Annual Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet will be held on March 17th and 18th this year.  ALL BUICK ENTHUSIASTS are reminded that we will meet at Steve Hammatt's space at high noon sharp!  Steve has a great indoor spot

that lends itself perfectly for photo ops and the telling of lies by those in attendance.  As always - be there or be square!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

The Annual Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet will be held on March 17th and 18th this year.  ALL BUICK ENTHUSIASTS are reminded that we will meet at Steve Hammatt's space at high noon sharp!  Steve has a great indoor spot

that lends itself perfectly for photo ops and the telling of lies by those in attendance.  As always - be there or be square!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

What day at noon

Chickasha used to be a very good meet for pre-15 cars but the past 2 years have been very disappointing. Last year the inside vendor area seemed to be only half-full and the outside area was sparse, too. 

It was a small hardship to attend the opening on Thursday. I'm still working, and going to Chickasha meant taking off most of a week. But what bothered me was that most of the vendors started packing up Friday morning.  So, I'm taking off work Wed-Fri to attend a swap meet that really only runs for one day - Thursday. After last year's disappointment, I've decided to skip this year's meet. It just isn't worth it.

I applaud the decision to move the Chickasha dates to Friday/Saturday. That's more realistic for people like me. However, I'm still concerned about the lack of vendors. I'll wait for reports on this year's event to see if the meet has turned around.

Bakersfield seems to be the premier meet for pre-15 stuff.  I plan to go there this year in spite of the extra cost simply because I know a lot of vendors and quality stuff will be there.

Good luck to Chickasha. I'm pulling for you to turn things around. 

Bev and I are attending for the first time from Canada.  Registered for the HCCA Convention in Oklahoma City and will be hauling our '13 Buick in a new trailer.  See you folks Friday at noon.  Gary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never will forget my first Chickasha early meet. It was the very first one. Took a lot of scarce early stuff (Caddy, Packard, etc.). Found out it was a glorified Ford T/A meet. Didn't sell a single thing! Towards noon of the final day, left my Dad to mind the space (we had walkie-talkies to communicate) and walked around. Found a elderly gentleman (in retrospect, maybe close to the same age I am now ;) ) with two tables of carburetors. They had been painted black over everything, throttle shafts wobbled, etc,, and each was very carefully identified, and in my mind, grossly overpriced. They were ALL common Ford T and A carbs except one, which was tagged as "non-Ford carburetor - $1.00". The carb was a new old stock Zenith 105DC. I didn't even attempt to negotiate! I just gave him a dollar, and left! So the net for the trip was better than hoped for!

Jon.

• Like 1

My first year of going to the Chickasha prewar meet I was looking for `35 Chevy Master parts. I didn`t find any, but I came across a vendor that had a hood for what he thought was for a `38 Pontiac, there was three prices on it which all had been X-ed out with "make offer" marked on it, vendor said he was tired of hauling it around.. I knew that it was a `35 Pontiac hood and I told my friend with me that I was going to buy that hood and that "I`d find me a car later", that hood started me on `35 Pontiacs. The next year I saw a picture of a `35 Pontiac coupe body there, It had been someones project of a drag car, firewall had been cut off just in front of the windshield and had a straight axle up front. I drove to Pampa, Tx to get it. A couple years later I saw another picture there of a complete front end cut off at the windshield posts, drove to Lewistown, Montana for it.. I finally had me a complete `35 Pontiac coupe..  There has been several years I`ve came home empty handed and disappointed, I always go with high expectations,  that`s just part of what an old car nut puts himself thru looking for parts. Last year the only thing I bought was a set of correct size trim rings for my `36 Buick artillery wheels, the year before only a NOS tail light lens and bezel for a `35 Pontiac. Another thing is talk to those vendors, they don`t always bring everything they have.. Good luck to all..  Tom

24 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Ben, I`m riding with my brother and a friend, we`re planning on Friday but it might be Saturday.. Tom

I will be there Friday. Hope you make it.  I will be wearing a light blue Tee shirt with a picture of my 1950 Buick on the front. Probably wearing a hat of some kind. White headed and white beard. 

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

We should have some attendees chime in anytime now.  I also watch the Model T club forum as they are usually among the first to post photos and stories of their bargains, etc.

Terry

I was there on Friday. A lot of the construction that messed up last year is done and the main parking area is reopened. It looked to me like there were more vendors than last year and definitely more attendees. There were more cars on display and for sale, the nicest IMO was a black early White steamer roadster that was driving all over silently, unfortunately I never saw it close up. Here are a few photos of the cars.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

For those anxious and wondering - the Model t ford forum has a couple of posts with pictures.  This is what I like to see-stuff on the tables, for sale in the swap meet, etc.  It makes me wish I was there!

Terry

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/737716.html?1490024080