What are you all using for jacks in case you get in trouble on the road?

first64riv

Hey y'all,

I've been driving my 1964 a bit more and I don't have a jack, nor a spare for that matter, but I am wondering what you have as a jack in your trunks?  On my old 66 Impala, it had the original bumper jack.  These are a little pricey and I'm wondering if there are comparable SAFE alternatives.

Thank you

Chris

Edited by first64riv (see edit history)

AAA card and a cell phone. ;)

I've always found the stock bumper jack to be adequate for a quick tire change, but NFW is any part of me going under that car.  If that's a little more pucker factor than you're comfortable with, you might consider a small floor jack or bottle jack for portable use.  Harbor Freight has some small, cheap jacks that might serve for such a purpose.

I saved the scissor jack and crank handle from my old '89 C1500 pickup.  It's a sturdy item and works smoothly since it spent its entire life in the compartment behind the seat.  I'll bet you could find something like at in your neighborhood junk yard.

In that vein, you might look for a jack from an older (late 80s - 90s) Jeep Cherokee.  It's a screw jack that's designed to lift the axle (so you don't have to worry about it fitting the frame or bumper, and -- because you're lifting the axle -- you don't need to jack the whole car up real high to get the wheel off the ground).  Not sure where you'd put it on the front (maybe the lower control arm around the shock mount?), but it's small and light and has a long, foldable crank.  In fact, I just used mine last week (for the first time in the 27 years I've owned the vehicle).  I can't imagine anything easier.  As EmTee says, it was in great shape since it was stored under the back seat that whole time.

• Like 1

A scissor jack will work fine on the front but because of the shape of the rear wheel arch, if you use a scissor jack on the rear, you'll actually push that rear wheel farther up into the body and you'll have a dickens of a time getting the wheel/tire free of the car.    I tried that once and wound up using the scissor jack to get the wheel off the ground then I had to use the bumper jack to gain clearance to get the tire off.  NOT something I'd want to do again, especially on the side of the road.  

I know a few guys who carry a spare and a AAA card. have them bring the floor jack and get dirty.  The quality of today's tires doesn't really necessitate the need for a spare and a jack any more, does it?.  When is the last time that you had a flat in your 'classic?'

Ed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

A scissor jack will work fine on the front but because of the shape of the rear wheel arch, if you use a scissor jack on the rear, you'll actually push that rear wheel farther up into the body and you'll have a dickens of a time getting the wheel/tire free of the car.    I tried that once and wound up using the scissor jack to get the wheel off the ground then I had to use the bumper jack to gain clearance to get the tire off.  NOT something I'd want to do again, especially on the side of the road.  

I know a few guys who carry a spare and a AAA card. have them bring the floor jack and get dirty.  The quality of today's tires doesn't really necessitate the need for a spare and a jack any more, does it?.  When is the last time that you had a flat in your 'classic?'

Ed

I thought about a scissor jack, but thought against it because those are really for modern cars.  I don't believe our Riviera's have the pinched seam that scissor jacks use on the modern cars.  I like the idea of carrying a spare and having the tow guy change the tire.  I'll figure it out!

In regards to the flat...I've never had one in my classics.  However, I haven't really driven long distances in them.

Thanks to all!

Chris

42 minutes ago, first64riv said:

I thought about a scissor jack, but thought against it because those are really for modern cars.  I don't believe our Riviera's have the pinched seam that scissor jacks use on the modern cars.  I like the idea of carrying a spare and having the tow guy change the tire.  I'll figure it out!

In regards to the flat...I've never had one in my classics.  However, I haven't really driven long distances in them.

Thanks to all!

Chris

I think that most everyone here is suggesting that the scissor jack be placed under the axle, not under the body.  At least I hope that no one is thinking about using ANY kind of jack that uses a point on the body for a lift point.  Think about how old and rusty those frame to body bolts are.  .

I was sitting in an airport bar when a 747 pilot sat down on the stool next to me. I asked him a similar question. "What do you carry for tools and spares if you have a problem during the flight?" He reached in his pocket and showed me a paper clip and a shoelace. Wow! Me too.

We put down a couple more drinks and I figured things were pretty well under control for both of us.

There is a picture of a guy changing a rear tire on a first generation Riviera with a bumper jack next to the word "precarious" in the dictionary. You'll need a scissors jack and a bumper jack to change a rear tire.

Bernie

11 minutes ago, petelempert said:

You are right about the tires and AAA. Still, I feel a little naked without a jack, tire iron, two screwdrivers, duct tape and an adjustable wrench in the trunk. PRL

Some time ago on the old Riviera Owners forum there was a discussion on what all should be included in a "tool box" to be taken with you in a Riviera.  If I remember correctly, the most agreed upon items were a "church key", bottle opener, cork screw, wine tool, bread knife, cheese slicer, and anything else that would help you enjoy yourself once you got to your destination.  No mention of any actual tools.

25 minutes ago, bodayguy said:

Not sure where I got this, but I have it saved on my desktop. Proper lift points? And where you might put four jack stands?

Rivi-Lift-points.jpg

Yep, under the frame.  If you've ever used a two post hoist, it won't take you long to figure out where the balance points are.