700 cars for sale..

I have to say, these types of auctions are becoming depressing. Yes,  it is amazing what some people have collected. But the fact that interesting cars have been essentially been left to rot until the owner dies or gets too old to care for them is just plain sad. 

It looks like most of the cars were stored inside and appear to be in reasonable shape.  I agree it's criminal when someone leaves them in an open field to rot, but these vehicles seem to be pretty well preserved and in restorable condition.

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Wow.  Lots of different stuff there.  Mostly projects from what I could see.

Be interesting to know how many of them have transferrable titles.  

It states in the opening story that they are in process of acquiring titles. They only have 6 months , probably $50 a car ?

These are about 15 miles from me , first I heard of them

2 hours ago, Taylormade said:

It looks like most of the cars were stored inside and appear to be in reasonable shape.  I agree it's criminal when someone leaves them in an open field to rot, but these vehicles seem to be pretty well preserved and in restorable condition.

Fair point. I see it as there being different degrees of neglect. To collect cars solely for the purpose of letting them sit is a shame in my mind. Even though they were in a building, I'd bet some of those cars entered fully functional and are now in need of some serious refurbishment.

1 hour ago, Buick64C said:

Fair point. I see it as there being different degrees of neglect. To collect cars solely for the purpose of letting them sit is a shame in my mind. Even though they were in a building, I'd bet some of those cars entered fully functional and are now in need of some serious refurbishment.

Many rare cars have been "saved" because of collectors that stored cars for years and didn't do anything with them. One that comes to mind is Barney Pollard. who protected many from the crusher especially during the scrap drives even though he neglected them.

Carl

I know the seller and had the chance to walk thru his collection several years ago. Yes, most of the cars are projects and yes some are barely good for parts, but as you can see, there are quite a few very restorable rare vehicles in the mix. Aside from the Kaiser Darrin and Studebaker Avanti - unusual enough themselves, there are CItroens, a Panhard, a Fiat or two, at least one Bantam and its cousin, an Austin, and a Powell. When was the last time you saw a Powell pickup?

Plan now to attend, I know I'll be there!

4 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Many rare cars have been "saved" because of collectors that stored cars for years and didn't do anything with them. One that comes to mind is Barney Pollard. who protected many from the crusher especially during the scrap drives even though he neglected them.

Carl

I guess it all comes down to what a person's idea of collecting is. I think that if you own something rare/valuable you act as its custodian and it's condition should not get worse in your care.

Q: Is this a BMW 507?

A: Maybe a 1959-60 MGA  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_MGA

Q: This looks like a French car

A Citroen Traction Avant (front wheel drive) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_Traction_Avant

Q: "What is it"

A: Tatra T600  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_(company)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Buick64C said:

I guess it all comes down to what a person's idea of collecting is. I think that if you own something rare/valuable you act as its custodian and it's condition should not get worse in your care.

I agree. It irks me to even  see older less valuable cars waste away outside waiting for the owner to do something with them. It looks like many of these cars were at least kept inside out of the weather.

Carl

I'm not critical of the assembler of this collection. It looks like a number of these cars would have been scrapped had the owner not acquired and saved them.  They were perhaps gotten some time ago when they were of very of negligible value, and were bought with an eye to the future that few at the time had.  Better saved and sheltered than lost to the scrapper.

• Like 1

Each generation has its own counter culture types. These are examples of the odd balls of the 1950's and '60's. I remember them from when I was going up. Even away from their cars and walking down the street you could tell something was different.

Bernie

On 2/1/2017 at 7:41 AM, g-g-g0 said:

Dark car in top pictured is an Austin Healey. Can't tell whether it is a 100-4 or 100-6. Suspect it is a 100-4.

I used to have a 1956 100-4  and it didn't have door handles, and that windshield doesn't lay down. I think it is a 100-4

Edited by Curti
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, Curti said:

I used to have a 1956 100-4  and it didn't have door handles, and that windshield doesn't lay down. I think it is a 100-4

Good call. That's an Austin Healey six, probably 57 or so. Check the external filler with a rag over it.