Fast n Loud Riviera

rocky5517

sevendwarfsmarching.jpg 

You think they got stereotype characters from the seven "dudes" above?

You know, I have honestly tried to sit in my chair and get some value out of this idiocy. I sit here with my hands held out, upturned, over the keyboard and I am just at such a total loss to describe the abyss of those scripts. I can only imagine the comments that will be made about the Buick.

Which reminds me, AACA had something going with the car show producers. I haven't heard much about that recently.

Every one of these shows I've ever seen has featured "master mechanics" or "custom builders" who are, to my way of thinking, complete hacks.  I wouldn't let any of those guys near anything that I owned, nor would I buy anything they'd worked on other than with the expectation that it was a ground-up project.

• Like 1

I just got back from taking my Wife out for a quick supper with this in the back of my mind. A couple thoughts surfaced. One, I find that I am usually content watching the cars and work UNTIL someone opens their mouth and speaks. Second, I never lived my life vicariously through Gilligan's Island, so why through these guys.

Bernie

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/fast-n-loud/videos/the-64-riviera/

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

The show is not bad if you just listen to the guy with the beard; he's the one with the mechanical know how.  Once Richard opens his mouth, it all turns into an ego trip for him.  He fancies himself drinking champagne on the green at Pebble Beach hobknobbing while the guys who did the real work are holed up in a Motel 6 with a sixpack of Grainbelt.

• Like 1

It's easy to be hard on these shows. I'm usually one of the loudest critics. Yesterday, I commented that one of those shows actually made me queasy. But, I have to keep it in perspective. Broadly speaking, I take issue with the slapdash work, questionable taste and egocentric behavior. That said, it's a show. It's meant to entertain. They have to be loaded with hyperbole, drama etc. As much as I'd like to see a diligent, methodic and disciplined mechanic toiling over a tasteful car, I'm thinking it might make pretty boring TV. PRL

Edd China on Wheeler Dealers is the guy you need to watch then.   Some of the show is hokey but Edd's work is right on.  Usually it's pure restoration sometimes with upgrades.  At least it's not like Counting Cars where they're paid $100K to convert a '92 ambulance into a paranormal ghost hunter.

While most of these guys must go along with someone's script, they do come off as idiots. However, I think a guy like Chip Foose, who has quite an eye for art and design, is a genius. He wouldn't get along with the Gas Monkey guys, I think. But the king of clowns? The guy from Graveyard Cars who does the Mopars. If he ever put his hands up to me and went into his "boxing stance", I'd beat him to death with with a tire iron. Or better, a frozen leg of lamb. Then back over his twitching body with one of those pretty Road runners. Now THAT would be reality TV. 

I personally know Redneck Robbie from animal planets Tanked.   That crap is all scripted BS.  While they are doing good work in the background they make up drama about things that don't exists. So when they say something was leaking or not fitting but you never see it yourself it's probably fake

like the Martin brothers in Texas who had the firebird that had caught fire and they drained the oil and crystal clear water drained out of an engine that's been parked for the better part of a year.  There is no way that water would be that clean.  

Ed ( Riv Nut) is right about Edd China from Wheeler dealers; not only does he patiently explain what he's doing and why, he has a delightful way with words. A few minutes ago he was working on a front end of a Lancia, and he said "not to change the bushings would be rude". Cool.

53 minutes ago, EmTee said:

..and why can NONE of these guys ever install a distributor without it being 180 degrees out or at least one tooth off?  :unsure:

Because it adds to the drama.  Have you ever actually seen them go through the complete process of removing it and fixing it.  You see segments of video showing them handling a distributor....its not always real ;)

I could watch a video like this everyday and not shake my head in disgust and change the channel.

Some of that comes from my personal experience and the lack of drama that comes from a non-scripted life.

I did a lot of work ion collector cars in the 1990's. I worked alone often in the quiet of the garage. I didn't need hard rock music blaring. I actually had a Louis Prima tape I liked a lot and one with tribal American Indian flute music.

I had two part time mechanics whom just checked off a list I left them.

And some days at lunchtime I would just back the customer's cars out on the lawn and enjoy the peace and quiet. Like this picture from about 1996.

0123.jpg.c0b6cbd01106634ca4ab7d8e864055d9.jpg

Yeah. I did crank up the Louis Prima tape a few times, but I was younger then.

Bernie

• Like 1

That is a beautiful video and a beautiful car. It's a testament to all the things true enthusiasts value. You, me and a couple of thousand other guys love it. But, it has a very narrow appeal, limited target audience and virtually zero revenue opportunity. Most cable TV car shows are designed to appeal to a target audience that is much broader. They are literally built on a "broadcast" business revenue model. That business model relies upon sponsorship revenue from broad based consumer products like Mountain Dew and GEICO to offset production and media costs. Therefore the show has to appeal to millions. The result is a show with content that appeals equally to the teenager drinking Mountain Dew and the middle aged male head of household who buys GEICO insurance for his family. That's an audience of several million people. That pays the bills. The Packard video is art but art doesn't always pay for itself. Fast and Loud isn't very artful, but it is commerce. PRL                     

It is not the car. It is the presentation that I was referring to. Even a sugar drinking middle aged head head of a household who believes lizards with a foreign accent speak with authority must have a moment of clarity before they pick up the phone to call an ambulance casing lawyer or lay claim to money owed for failed hernia mesh.

I think I bought one bottle of Mountain Dew when it first came out. I am not planning to buy another.

Oh, well.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It is not the car. It is the presentation that I was referring to. Even a sugar drinking middle aged head head of a household who believes lizards with a foreign accent speak with authority must have a moment of clarity before they pick up the phone to call an ambulance casing lawyer or lay claim to money owed for failed hernia mesh.

I think I bought one bottle of Mountain Dew when it first came out. I am not planning to buy another.

Oh, well.

If that Packard never had a soul - it sure does now.

- A Face in the Crowd - what a great flick. A shame most from new generations won't ever see cinema like that - obtain lessons learned.

Keep chuggin your fluorescent energy drinks, you'll feel better. Not.

Thanks for the great links, Mr. Bernie

BTW - the Griffith film scores 92% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

I miss Andy, rest in peace.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, RivNut said:

Edd China on Wheeler Dealers is the guy you need to watch then.   Some of the show is hokey but Edd's work is right on.  Usually it's pure restoration sometimes with upgrades.  At least it's not like Counting Cars where they're paid $100K to convert a '92 ambulance into a paranormal ghost hunter.

While I agree with Edd China as knowing his stuff, I think you are selling the Count a little short. Remember, the ambulance guy came to him and set the budget. The Count was against it from the start. "Not our thing, man". Be it good research, good acting or a true passion, I enjoy the way he talks about his builds. Research gets an A from me. While most of his builds are not 100% pure stock, his guys have a lot of talent. The George Lynch 65 Riviera build is still on my DVR. And while the 73 Riviera build was not my style, it made a nice car.

The one I can't stand is the idiot in Norfolk on Fantom Works. Have to change out the engine in a numbers matching 65 Vette because of a flat cam? Then have trouble getting a crate small block back in the same hole? Give me a break!

Here is the George Lynch Riviera build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALW-cS5ewsg

Edited by steelman
spelling (see edit history)

My problem with Count is his name goes on it but what did he really do.  He tells his guys to throw some color on it or what stance but he doesn't show in the weeds with the build and get all the credit.  Coddington did it.  Rawlings does it.  Kindig is doing it (granted he does design the car to a T).  That's why I give all the praise to Foose. You know he did some of the work too. He is hands on the way a true car guy should be

1 hour ago, steelman said:

While I agree with Edd China as knowing his stuff, I think you are selling the Count a little short. Remember, the ambulance guy came to him and set the budget. The Count was against it from the start. "Not our thing, man". Be it good research, good acting or a true passion, I enjoy the way he talks about his builds. Research gets an A from me. While most of his builds are not 100% pure stock, his guys have a lot of talent. The George Lynch 65 Riviera build is still on my DVR. And while the 73 Riviera build was not my style, it made a nice car.

The one I can't stand is the idiot in Norfolk on Fantom Works. Have to change out the engine in a numbers matching 65 Vette because of a flat cam? Then have trouble getting a crate small block back in the same hole? Give me a break!

Here is the George Lynch Riviera build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALW-cS5ewsg

Yeah, he was totally against it.  Until someone greased his palm with 100 large.  Take the money, have his crew do the work, then take credit for it as everyone follows their script..  Reality TV at its best.