Garage Project

Well, it looks like I accidentally deleted the whole garage project from the forum. I was trying to delete a response that it had added from a previous response. (Not sure why that happened) Someday I will post a video from start to finish. I just have to condense 4 hours of video into five minutes!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, Mud, that's really nice.  I thought we were going to be told about another 'BIGFOOT' sighting.  I just can't get off here without asking a very serious question of you.  Do you ever hear any loud grumbling coming from the garage in the middle of the night?  You realize that you're putting a Buick in there along with a brand X and asking them to coexist?  Have a Happy New Year!

Terry Wiegand

A COLD South Hutchinson, Kansas

40 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Hey, Mud, that's really nice.  I thought we were going to be told about another 'BIGFOOT' sighting.  I just can't get off here without asking a very serious question of you.  Do you ever hear any loud grumbling coming from the garage in the middle of the night?  You realize that you're putting a Buick in there along with a brand X and asking them to coexist?  Have a Happy New Year!

Terry Wiegand

A COLD South Hutchinson, Kansas

They actually get along very well; however they both tremble when I walk in the door with a bunch of tools!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I used rapid air in my shop I sold,  then put it in the 28 by 50 garage here at the house when I started finishing it off.  I put it all in the walls hidden.  It's pretty easy to run, though when possible I ran it with the framing so I didn't have to go through more farming than necessary.  It goes pretty easy though,  even by yourself,  though someone to feed it would make it easier.  I bought 2 kits and a bunch of extra fittings and blocks to accomplish my job.  I wanted to be able to reach anything in the garage with a 10 foot hose.   I Also added an outside fitting by the front door.  Though now with the new garage I've been building out back,  I probably should have put one by the back door as well.  

The only problem I had was one fitting came apart in the ceiling.  Not sure why.  It wasn't under pressure.  All I can think is I had a T where the line went through a joist and maybe something moved so it depressed the fitting releasing the lock.  

I had used it 3 or 4 times prior to that with no problem.  I went to charge the system up to put some air in a tire outside and it was leaking.  Fortunately the ceiling wasn't finished yet,  so I just pulled the insulation down and fixed it.  No problems since.  Maybe I didn't have it fully engaged the first time.  

I'm planning on putting it in the new shop as well.  Beats air hoses on the floor to trip over or pull things over,  is relatively cheap and much easier than steel pipe. 

• Thanks 1

When I ran my current black pipe system, I made sure to maintain a slope on all the piping and actually ran extra line that would allow the air to condensate and drain to strategically placed drain valves. Is that necessary with this type line. I have never been able to get ALL the leaks out of my current system and hopefully the Rapidair system will be better in that regard.

They don't mention pitching the line that I recall in the directions.  Every ported aluminum block though has a drain and the water should settle at those drains.  I imagine some may still stay in the line, but with a good dryer after the compressor they should stay pretty dry as not being iron,  the system shouldn't sweat.   I don't recall my ported blocks ever having a lot of condensation in them.  Most was from my compressor as I only had a drier right before my blast cabinet.  

as far as leaks.  The shark bite type fittings don't seem to leak.  My leaks all seemed to be at the accessories I had threaded into the ported blocks.  They weren't horrendous.  My system at the old shop would leak down overnight so that when I turned the valve on in the morning you would get that quick blast and it would be charged.  I had a lot of fittings in my setup for my blast cabinet though that I'm sure all leaked,  including the cabinet itself.   I was happy enough with the system I ordered two kits for this garage and even thought about burying a line to the new shop and running it off the compressor in the old,  but I will probably just buy another compressor for that shop as it's almost 100 feet between buildings.  Then that building is 72 feet long so I would be pushing air anywhere from 200 to 300 feet.  For that I need a much bigger supply line.  

The best thing to do would probably be to put the compressor in my boiler building if I ever get one built and run lines to both buildings as it would be centrally located, then I wouldn't have to listen to the compressor run when I'm sand blasting or sanding. 

Now there is just that money thing holding me back. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, MrEarl said:

Is that Rapidair line you're using? You like it? How hard is it to run in a straight line. I'm considering running it in my walls. 

How 'bout a close up of the filter and fittings and pretty steel plate on the wall.  :)

They make a line straightener. If you have a lot to do, It might be a time saver. It was a real chore doing it by myself. I will be running the last line in the morning and I will let you know the results

• 2 weeks later...

Today I used my new compressor for the first time. I decided to clean up some firewall parts in the blast cabinet and see how it works. For the first time I heard something I have never heard before. THE COMPPESSOR SHUT OFF WILE I WAS BLASTING. I thought I blew a circuit breaker. No, just working fine, it came back on in about 45 seconds. Now I can take a break when I want to and not because I am waiting for more air!

20180310_150316.jpg

• Like 2

I got the biggest Kobalt compressor they had,  which I believe is 16CFM,  If I remember correctly,  which is right along the lines of what they called for on my Skat blast 766 or some similar number cabinet.   It will shut off,  but only if I stop blasting,  just long enough to move a piece in the cabinet or turn it over, or I'm inspecting it.  I haven't gotten it hooked up here at the house yet.  (it will be nice to get my cabinet back in order, but my garage has taken a priority) I never had to stop though for it to catch up. 

I still would like to put the compressor in another building.  

My next one will probably cost 4 times as much as this one,  but I want an automatic drain,  plenty of flow and something that maybe turns a bit slower than the one I have.  I can't complain though.  I probably have Quite a few hours on it now.  There are days where I blasted for 6 hours or used the right angle grinder for hand finish trim with ultra fine discs before going to buffing.  

Boy you can really lose track of time in a blast cabinet.   You can also waist a lot of time on parts that don't warrant the effort,  especially if you are going to resell them.  I switched to the hardened steel nozzle.  You also have to keep tabs on the little O rings,  as once they go,  you will start eating the gun away inside, long before you wear out the hardened nozzle. 

I got 2 new pieces of Rigid foam insulation up in my garage today.  Looks like you are a lot further along than me.  

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Get a bigger nozzle for the blast cabinet...that new compressor will keep up!

I actually had gone to a smaller one when I first set it up. I found the original one and put it in. It made a big difference.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...