Vinyl - Leather Repair Help Please

Roadster90

Morning Folks !

I have a couple of tiny splits in the vinyl of my left or drivers side gray door panel in the 90 coupe.  I will replace the panel if I can find one in good or better condition than mine, but was also looking on the net and found several repair kits marketed by companies such as JB Weld, Leather New, etc......(example below).  I was/am curious if anyone on the forum has had any experience with these particular kits or any of the numerous others that are offered - available.....please advise, and

Thanks!

Nic

AMAZON OFFERING:

3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit

hotness: 5/5$5 free shipping
Shop Now
Posted 42 min ago
Amazon offers the 3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit, model no. 08579, for $5.02 with free shipping via the instructions below. That's the lowest total price we could find by $4. It includes a variety of colors and grain papers. To get this deal:
  1. View the 3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit for $9.44
  2. clip the $3 off coupon on the product page
  3. checkout via Subscribe & Save for a final price for a $5.02 with free shipping

Edited by Roadster90 (see edit history)

If only the skin of the vinyl is cracked this kit will get the job done, if it's split all the way through you will need patching material that I didn't see in the kit.

Do practice mixing to color several  times before using to repair, except for black the wet color is almost always a different shade dry than it is wet and you need to see the color shade when dry to mix the color to match.

The little round disk on a stick is a joke not a tool. Getting it to the right temp and keeping it there long enough to work with isn't as easy as the directions make it sound. To cold and your patch is a gooey mess, to hot and you damage the vinyl you're trying to fix. If you have a low wattage soldering pencil you can mount it to, yank the disk off the stick and have at it, or spend the extra money and get a kit with a good tool. Sometimes you're money ahead having this done if you're only going to do it once. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Digger914.  Appreciate the advise greatly - could you possible suggest a better kit that you suggest - not wealthy by any means but in complete agreement as far as spending more to get better :)  -  thanks again.....

Opps - when searching for a better kit I noticed a ton of leather "restorers".  Would really appreciate some suggestions - advice on this type of product as well if possible - thanks !

Nic

Good Sunday Morning !!!!

And thank you both for the replies/information and the film.  Film is a Good - Great - Excellent Tutorial and very much appreciated !  I have dyed some automotive and boat upholstery before, but never actually repaired age or accident related damages (reason/s for my post), and did not even know that there was a leather filler available.  The saying about teaching an old dog new tricks certainly applies here as the film provided Great  Information and Tips.  I found the venues 866 telephone number in Canada, and intend on calling Monday with some product questions and an order.  I now won't have to place an order on Amazon for products that are guesses.  As usual you fellows and the forum are the Absolute Best !