Relay/Door Ajar light issue

Guest speedfreek155

Guest speedfreek155

Hi , I've had my 1990 Reatta now for 2+ years , and have been able to find the answer to every issue I've had , until now . I have recently had an issue with a relay (relay H) clicking off and on in an almost vibrating manner , it affects the radio , sometimes the climate display , headlights and the Door Ajar light in the dash . It happens mostly when cold . I have cleaned and checked all grounds (I believe all) , I replaced relay and even battery lugs to no avail . Currently when I start car , if relay doesn't act up , everything seems fine , but when I shift into gear the Door Ajar light illuminates on the dash . Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance .

Guest speedfreek155

Thank you for the input , but unfortunately I went into diagnostics , and showed no codes current , just historical . IAlso looked through my shop manual and couldn't find a solution for this specific problem . I will keep plugging along . Of course I have a spare ECM but no BCM to test

Guest speedfreek155

As I have been going through troubleshooting I noticed that the door ajar light doesn't come on until i engage into gear . Tonight coming home , cold and light snow , the relay was going nuts and almost turning lights off and engaging and dis-engaging high beams , along with shutting down radio as usual.

Guest speedfreek155

I did comprehensive ground cleaning today , thought it may be good , but after short trip to store the relay demon reared its ugly head again . I am going to have to pull BCM and inspect board for bad solder connections and touch them up if I see any . 

Edited by speedfreek155 (see edit history)

If the BCM is causing the problem relay J should be chattering when relay H chatters. They are both grounded by the BCM on the same circuit to pick them up. The next time it happens, turn on the courtesy light in the mirror and see if it's flickering when the relay is chattering.

Usually a relay chatters because it isn't getting enough current to keep it picked up. That could be caused by a poor ground circuit or power circuit. If it were me I would replace RAP circuit breaker #25 and make sure it is clean and tight in the socket.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've had the door ajar light come on in two different Reattas. As part of troubleshooting, the BCM will not accurately tell you which door is in 'trouble'.  If after all of what Ronnie posted has been done and still have that warning light on, as was my case, I'd concentrate on the passenger door first.  Yes, makes no sense as the driver's door gets more exercise. Nevertheless it was the passenger doors on both cars that were giving off the warning light.

• Like 1

Guest speedfreek155
On January 27, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Ronnie said:

If the BCM is causing the problem relay J should be chattering when relay H chatters. They are both grounded by the BCM on the same circuit to pick them up. The next time it happens, turn on the courtesy light in the mirror and see if it's flickering when the relay is chattering.

Usually a relay chatters because it isn't getting enough current to keep it picked up. That could be caused by a poor ground circuit or power circuit. If it were me I would replace RAP circuit breaker #25 and make sure it is clean and tight in the socket.

First , you are correct , both relays H & J are chattering , and the light on the mirror flickered accordingly . RAP relays checked and bypassed with jumpers (temporarily) but problem persists . I have not found a process for removing BCM for inspection , I would really like to look inside unit . In my experience with electronics , It seems like there could be  a bad connection  or crack on PC board . 

If you feel the BCM is causing the problem you should buy one that is known to be good and see if that solves the problem. Then experiment with the old one to see if you can find the problem with it. It's always good to have a spare. OR you could ground the circuit right at the relay, bypassing the BCM, then drive the car and see if the relays still chatters. That would tell you if the problem is the BCM, the relay ground circuit, or the circuit that supplies power to the relay...

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest speedfreek155
On February 2, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Ronnie said:

If you feel the BCM is causing the problem you should buy one that is known to be good and see if that solves the problem. Then experiment with the old one to see if you can find the problem with it. It's always good to have a spare. OR you could ground the circuit right at the relay, bypassing the BCM, then drive the car and see if the relays still chatters. That would tell you if the problem is the BCM, the relay ground circuit, or the circuit that supplies power to the relay...

I actually thought about doing this , was going to investigate any possible ramifications first , I thought I may have to diode isolate additional ground so there is no feedback in the circuit .

Guest speedfreek155
5 hours ago, speedfreek155 said:

I actually thought about doing this , was going to investigate any possible ramifications first , I thought I may have to diode isolate additional ground so there is no feedback in the circuit .

Added aux ground to relay circuit , didn't have and chatter from relays , but the power retention didn't shut off systems , I tried it numerous times and nothing , so it's time for a BCM . I will post results when I receive it .

• 2 weeks later...