64 Riv, remove panel from fuse box?

jsgun

On my 64, I want to remove the dash cover plate from the fuse box, so I can inspect the fuse connectors. My fuse box was rusty, and I want to make sure there's no issues where the wires meet the terminals.

I noted a press in type of connector on the sides of the box, but I could not get the cover panel loose and don't want to risk breaking anything.

How can I get to the back of the fuse box without breaking things?

Hi jsgun

That's what I had to do with my 65 too. I don't know exactly if the boxes are the same for 64 and 65 but I guess so.
Here the way I opened it to check the fuses and the back of the box. Hope this helps. First pic is from a 64. The other both from my own 65 when it felt out of the compartiment.

Good luck!

fusebox.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

I think he means removing the plastic cover from the block itself.  There is a tab along the side to depress and the cover will slide one way or the other off the end of the fuse panel  Its pretty stout plastic you should be okay to be rough with

Yep, I need to remove the cover from the block, to see the back side of the wiring. I was able to get one tab to go in, but I wasn't sure if I was breaking it, or it was correct.

It's interesting to see the back of the block. My tabs that contact the fuses were very rusty. I used a wire brush attachment on a dremel to clean them up, but I suspect the back side is going to be as bad or worse.

If my fuse box is bad, are there replacements available? Ideally, I'd like to switch it to blade fuses if I have to change boxes.