16x7 Wheels

Nile

I'm 99% certain that any Mopar wheels that would fit the TC (5x100 bolt pattern) that are 16" are only 6" wide. There were some 6.5" wide wheels, but those were all 15".

Personally I currently have Enkie 16x7 wheels on my TC with no issues running 225/50/16 tires.

Thanks Reaper, I could not find any 16x7" Mopar wheels either, so I guess they were not made.  I've read that some of the aftermarket wheels use elongated holes to accommodate both the 100mm and 114mm bolt patterns and others require plastic inserts. I don't want either of those options.  Were your Enkei's a simple bolt-on and did you have to buy new lug nuts?

The Enkie wheels I am running have a single bolt pattern in them. Our cars are a lug-centric type design, not hub-centric, meaning that they center themselves using the lug pattern, not the center of the wheel. These wheels are 16x7 and I am using a 35mm offset. In order to find a decent selection of wheels that fit our cars, I typically look up products that fit a 90's Toyota Celica as they have the same needs our cars do. The lug nuts came with the wheels (Tire Rack)

I think there is at least 1 other person running pretty wide wheels on a TC (8" maybe?). Keep in mind that if the wheel isn't spaced out far enough it can contact the splash guard and the back of the well under hard turning. Not that it's a huge deal, but something to consider. As for diameter of wheels...If it fits, it fits. Not saying ti will look good, ride well, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What size tires? What brand? Ride quality good, handling improved? Looks good, IMO it's 'hard' to find rims that look right on our TC's.  They are kind of a stately looking car so racey or tuner rims just look wrong on there( I mean unless they are red Tim:P) .  They gotta be classy yet discreet.;)  I have a 928 S4 that has 16" rims, unfortunately most tire manufacturers are moving away from 16's.  Very few choices in that diameter anymore:(

No good 16" tires? Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? Maybe no "good" inexpensive tires, but the 205/55/16 size was so popular for so long that I find it hard to believe that there's no "good" choices (Tire Rack shows 166 choices). Of course you're going to want a bit wider tire for an 8" wheel, so that might limit choices. Now, the size *I* run (225/50/16) there's only 62 choices. After that...not much else to choose from (245/45/16...and there's only 1 tire listed). Maybe that's what you were saying, the variety of sizes in 16" is going away? That I totally believe.

Keeping in mind that my only criteria is handling I went with 225/50x16 RE71R's (Bridgestone Potenzas) which I have on my MR2 autocross car.  The ride is surprisingly good, the handling is superb, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet they ride.  The downside is that they'll have to come off before winter as cold temps are a problem for the 200 compound.  Last year I was 5th out of 20 in the Carlisle shootout  (beating all the Hemi Challengers) on 205/60x15 Direzzas.  The RE71R's are quicker, so I'm hoping for a podium finish this year.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Nile, thank you for starting this thread.

I have an interest in switching the stock TC rims for the later generation, five lug Biturbo rims (photo below). I have seen these rims listed at 7x15 (7Hx15H2) ET 35 or at 15x8 1/2", although I think there is even more variety from ~89 - early-90s (they look like they were 14" pre-1988, which is too small, I think). My fear is that the Maserati five lug pattern isn't compatible with the TC. I haven't found the definitive answer, but I have read in some VW forums that the 1980s Biturbo wheels may not conform to alot of other makes.

Thoughts?

962837974_biturbowheels.thumb.jpg.46ad5957dfbed26861a3f38858c9d67a.jpg