Gary W

1937 Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)

117 posts in this topic

I got a few hours in the garage today and got the front disassembled.  Taking stock of parts that need rebuilding or replacing.  I carefully labelled and photographed every step of the way.  All nuts, bolts, washers are tagged and bagged in ziplock bags.  I think I may have to replace some of the 80-year old bolts, as they are quite rusty and brittle.

Here's the end result of today's work:

DSC_0778.jpg

6 people like this

I cannot imagine working on a car in a carpeted garage...... replacing the carpet would be the first job after the car was complete.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I cannot imagine working on a car in a carpeted garage

I worked on cold cement today.  My feet are still frozen.   I did have a movable piece of carpet that really was nice to stand on in winter, but my son threw it away.

the garage above, it is so clean, I'd take a nice nap under the car.  A woodstove would be heaven.

1 person likes this

My favorite part is how the car blocks both doors so the wife can't get here car in.

5 people like this

Last night I prepped the running boards for re-vulcanization by removing all the brackets, hardware and trim.  Then I removed all the trim from the front clip, and continued removing "stuff" from the engine (Water pump, fuel pump, distributor.....)  All coming along nicely!   Here's the latest photo:

Buick__Jan_19__2017_(3).jpg

UPDATE:  Motor is ready to be pulled, dash is out, trunk is stripped, rear fenders off, Front and rear glass and all garnish moldings out.  Getting close to media blasting!

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0607.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

DSC_0608.JPG

1 person likes this

Gary, that's good progress.  Your workspace is bright, clean and looks very comfortable.  What kind of restoration are you planning?  Frame off? Rechrome everything?  Also, what do you mean by media blasting?  Will you use sand or plastic or soda?  What are your plans for the engine?

I've often struggled with what restoration level makes the best sense.  While I know it's a personal choice, for me I have to face the economic reality of getting these cars back on the road.  So, I will live with removing some rod shims and re-ringing instead of spending $4-5K as long as it brings things back or close to spec.

I'd like to hear about your thoughts and plans.  I look forward to following your work and thank you for sharing it with us.

Joel

1 person likes this

Hello Joel:

It's always a struggle to find the level of restoration that you are comfortable with.  It seems one thing always leads to another and the the old "....while I'm here I may as well go ahead and..........(fill in the blank!)"  I am pulling the body off for two reasons: 1. All the rubber mounts are hopelessly dry rotted and need to be replaced and 2. I want to have the underside of the body blasted free of rust so I can paint a good coat of POR-15 under before mounting it back to the frame.  While the body is out getting blasted, I'll treat the chassis to a degreasing, power wash and paint with the same POR-15.  I Brush this on all the interior surfaces of the body as well, before any interior panels get installed to help preserve the car.  

Being the motor runs, the plan is to drop the pan, clean the oil pump and sludge.   Remove the head to give the block a through cleaning, as the water channels are muddy.  Then, a new set of rings and valves hoping the pistons, rods, babbit...are good.  A basic go-through just to check specs on the mains, rods, wrist pins.

I have to change the clutch throw-out bearing and the flywheel ring gear, and I may as well change the clutch plate while I'm in it, so the decision to pull the motor was kinda made for me.  

I constantly keep in mind the cost of the restoration, which is why I like to use local blasters, powdercoaters...  But the woodgraining I will send out.  The bumpers look fine, and I polished them up nice.  The front grille is going out to be re-chromed, as that is a centerpiece of the car, but the door handles...will be chromed locally.  Much, much cheaper.  I've chosen Le Barron Bonney for the interior kit, but I'll do the install myself.  Money, money, money....but I'm having a BLAST!!  This is a great experience, and to work with my two boys  (12 & 16), just busting' knuckles and getting greasy makes it all worth it.

You want to have a car that you are proud of, but now bankrupt over.  I understand your dilemma and I really try to keep the cost in mind with every decision.  I'll keep posting as the restoration continues.   Great bunch of guys here.

PS.......HOW DO YOU GET THE INTERIOR DOOR HANDLES OFF??  I want to strip the remainder of the interior today, cannot figure it out!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Gary, your intentions were very well stated and thanks for taking the time to explain.  The 37 grill indeed is the main attraction, but it does need those mile long headlights as well.

interior door handles are held in place with a wire "horseshoe" shape clip.  Although there is a tool made to help remove it, I've had good success with a very thin flat screwdriver.  You push the handle bezel into the door panel to get as much clearance as possible to see what you are doing.  Then push the wire ends of that little spring loaded clip and it should come off easily.  The tool is a flat thin metal that has a notch in it that pushes the clip ends off.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Joel

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)

The Buick retaining clips are smaller than the usual later GM clips and the typical tool doesnt work. I ended up making my own clip removal tool. I had a spare handle to use as a pattern for the tool.

UPDATE:  This weekend I got the steering box, engine and transmission out of the car.  The steering box had a noticeable "clunking" inside, so I think I'll give the folks at LARES a shot at a rebuild.  The transmission seems perfectly fine, except the dry-rotted rubber mount.  I knew the flywheel ring gear was shot and the pilot bearing was noisy, so I figured a good going through the motor while it was out was a good idea.  Tore it down today to find a broken ring on #2 piston, but the motor really looks good inside. Crankshaft is really nice, all inserts look good.  Going to take it to the machine shop this week to have the crankshaft measured and the bores measured to find out if it is standard.  Any hints on installing the new flywheel ring gear would be appreciated.  Also, how does this clutch disc look?  Should I replace while I have the engine apart?

Thanks Guys!

DSC_0717.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

DSC_0757.JPG

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0879.JPG

DSC_0881.JPG

1 person likes this

Looks like my kind of guy.  A carpeted garage floor?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Gary W said:

Any hints on installing the new flywheel ring gear would be appreciated.  Also, how does this clutch disc look?

Disc looks to be recent replacement as it has a magic marker number, and shows very little wear.   Some people prefer a known good part, to replacing with a possible poorly made new part. 

Ring gear will come right off if you go around several times with a flat punch/hammer.  Lay the flywheel flat on wood, keep going around, moving the gear downward a tiny bit in each spot.

New gear goes on with heating up the ring gear.  Takes a while with propane if the gear is beefy, or I've set them in a wood-fire.   It will drop right onto the flywheel step if hot enough.  It can take a couple minutes before it no longer seems loose.  It does not need red heat, nor dull orange.... just enough heat to expand it.  You need no tools if it is hot.

The ring may not need replacing.  I cleaned up the "worn" edges with a file. Works .

Ben

Here's what my flywheel ring gear looks like.  Obviously the vacuums start switch failed and the starter / bendix gear / solenoid was trying to "start" the car everytime the accelerator pedal was depressed.  I did find a '37 ring gear at Bob's Automobilia so I'll tackle that project soon.  Going to put the ring gear on the grill out back to expand it.  Thanks for the advice on the clutch.  I wasn't sure how thick the inserts are supposed to be.

DSC_0851_(1).JPG

DSC_0895_(1).JPG

Usually folks can get away with simply flipping the ring gear. In this case, I think replacement is the right idea. I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a ring gear in worse condition than that one.

2 people like this

what I want to know is how do you keep the floor so clean. not  a drop of dirt.

Because this gentleman is the consummate perfectionist - that's how he does it - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America 

These particular '37 GM 2 door sedans , Buick , LaSalle (recently sold one) , Cadillac , look perfect from all elevations and angles and distance. Rare birds , too. Yours , obviously is well preserved. No significant trunk rust. How are the door bottom edges (most rust prone as you probably know) , under the paint ? And speaking of doors and paint : Now that I have got my foot in the door , I will hazard a suggestion. I would not 2 tone it in any way whatsoever. The highly coherent , beautifully integrated design , is being degraded by breaking up the lines with those black fenders. I believe these cars are masterpieces of industrial design , and no beholders eyes can improve their beauty. And how lucky your sons are to have Dad ! 55 years ago I learned to drive a standard transmission in a '39 Cadillac 4 door 61. Some similarity. Teach the kids the technique of double clutching on that synchro floor shift. It is so easy to learn the rhythm if you don't have to do it on a crashbox. Looks favorable that old car addiction will live on in your family ! Just think of all the fascinating cars to come up as the boys grow older ! Gary , thanks for sharing your detailed , interesting  work. You sure know what you are doing ! Good luck !  - Carl

Someone looks happy to be using a ratchet. Good work on keeping the younger generation interested. :D

Gary,

This is a great series of posts for others to get inspired to restore their cars....  Thanks!

& Keep them coming....

Today I got a few hours in the garage and made a little more headway!  First I prepped the steering box for shipment to LARES for a rebuild.  So I drained the fluid into a can, used a puller to get the pitman arm off, and wrapped and shipped it in a bicycle box out to MN.  

Then, using a heavy brass drift, I was able to knock the broken ring gear off the flywheel.  Then, I set the flywheel outside for a couple hours in the 35 degree air.  Next, I fired up the grill and set the ring gear on a piece of foil for 20 minutes on high.  And don't you know it, it slipped right on!  It sat beautifully against the flange and looks great!

Then I had to spend a couple of hours cleaning up the garage and getting ready for the engine work.

DSC_0947.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0964.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

DSC_0984.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_0986.JPG

3 people like this

Tonight I decided to attack the interior.  I finally figured out how to get those clips out from the door handles, but then I got the door skin off, the vent window (entire mechanism), and removed the glass.  Do I just scrape the original sound deadening material out?  I'm afraid there is rust under it.  Or will the blaster be able to get it out?  So I got the drivers door down to it's bare bones.

Then I got behind the instrument panel and first labelled the wires.  (Don't really know why as I will re-wire the entire car...but) Then carefully removed the wires, the speedo cable, the oil gauge and pulled the five dash lamps.  Not real complicated, but it helps to keep up with your yoga!  So the panel came right out.  

Look at the condition of the dash lamp wires!  Still can't believe it didn't catch on fire.  All the wires are so dry rotted and exposed.  

Moving right along!

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

3 people like this