Gary W

1937 Buick Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)

Gary,

One other question;  Who did you use to do the wood graining paint job on your dash and trim pieces?  I have to get my dash and window surrounds done and would like mine to look as good as yours does.  Is it a local company there in your area or ?  

Randy

Hi Randy;

No updates from LeBaron.  I haven't done anything with the car except start the engine a couple times a week and let it warm up, idle a bit and shut it down.  I can't think of anything to do with the car until the new upholstery kit arrives.  Bummer

The bad dye lot was with their Brown Bedford Cord fabric.  (N7...?). They have a new supplier for the fabric, but how long it takes to remake all the bad kits.....  I don't know.  It took about three months for the fabric to turn green.

I hate that my project is just stalled for the last few months, but some things are completely out of my control.  I had high hopes that I would have a thousand miles on her by now!

The woodgrain was done by Mr. Bob Kennedy out on your side of the country.  1.562.693.8739.  A real gentleman to deal with and an artist with the grain.  

Thanks for checking in!  Have a great weekend and I'll get posting as soon as this kit arrives.

Gary

• Like 1

Unfortunately like many of us, LeBaron Bonney is having a hard time getting what they need and even when it’s available, delivery times are always way out. It seems service times are even worse than material delivery times too. Last time I was at LB/HC picking up a customers interior, Scott the owner was telling me the problems they’re having getting some materials. People out there who are restoring their cars to original should order their interiors now as availability is changing daily on original type materials.  As we all know, every time we turn around another manufacturer of stuff for our cars is either closing or just gone and the bigger companies that supply us can’t get the supplies themselves. Things as simple as slotted screws are becoming a thing of the past with the new Phillips/slotted hybrid heads replacing everything out there. Try to buy a garnish screw and all they want to sell you is a Phillips head!

Gary, I feel your pain my friend. I’m waiting on the machine shop to finish up a block for my 31’ Chevy that he said he’d have done 6 weeks ago so I can be driving it for this summer and I’m still waiting to get my Olds wheels painted. I guess the bright side is the Olds body will be going in for paint very soon but who knows how long it will sit there in between other insurance jobs. The waiting is the worst! Give LB a call and ask for Cam Nolan. See if there’s any way she can speed it up for you. I’ll call her and tell her you’re a friend of mine and see if that helps. PM me your last name and address so I have it when I talk with her.

• Like 2

My '36 Model 48 is now in its 5th year. Part of the problem is la ack for sheet metal for this car.

Then there is always "I will get to it next week."  This goes on week after week.

But, the car came out of the paint booth this week. After the paint cures and finish buff applied, re-assembly starts. Next week. Me. "Yea, right."

P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pplaut said:

"Yea, right."

Allocate one hour per day and just do that and nothing else. Or 3 hours on Saturday afternoon. It is a permanent appointment in your diary and is inviolate! Nothing else can interfere or Aunty Jack will chew your ears.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gary,

Thank you for the referral to Bob regarding the wood grain refinish of my dash and window surrounds.   It is sad that we are down to one supplier of the interior fabric for restorations.  Two decades ago, we had several that were supplying to the antique market. When the eggs are all in one basket and the basket gets a hole in it, disaster strikes.  Let us hope that Le Barron Bonny will stay  healthy for some time. 

I am doing the frame and body of my Pontiac Coupe first.  That will take a while.  Certainly not a year as you so deftly showed all of us out here.  If we all have access to a good painter/body man that you have, that is half of the battle.  Count your lucky stars that you have such a good and talented man at your disposal.  If we here were as fortunate. 

You have to be very careful as a lot of them talk the talk and do not deliver.  Seems that they inhale way too many fumes and it "clouds" their judgement and performance.  There are good ones out here but taking out a second mortgage to hire them sticks in my craw. 

Randy

P

Glad your car is painted, it is a major step.  You don't have to compare your progress to others, do what you are able when you can and stick with it.  I wish I was as organized as Gary W, he is the best, I am 3 years into my project and there are others who are 20.  We are all just guys, hang in there.  Thanks, Gary

• Like 2

Anybody who is very good at their trade is swamped.  Sign up with them and your name goes to the bottom of the list for sometimes a year or more.  If a person wants quality work done, they wait.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Many people don't realize what it costs to do a restoration with skilled quality people doing much of the work. If you want quality work that you can't do yourself be prepared to pay

for the service. 

Gary,

Has Le Baron Bonney given you any hint as to when they will be getting you the new kit?  I come to the Forum hoping for good news and to see what you have done next.  I know it is a bit selfish as a reader of your thread,  and  I can imagine how unnerving it is for you to be waiting for the fabrics to arrive.  Is there anything else that you have to do to the car other than the seats and door panels?  Hearing that you start the car up weekly is comforting to know that at least the mechanicals are completed.  Only for a road trip to confirm of the "road worthiness".  But I bet that the Buick could travel cross country without a hitch.  I am sure that family doings keep your self busy but...........

Hello all;

I'm just patiently waiting for my kit to arrive.  I am really disappointed that I missed my self-imposed deadline of March 1, and even more that I missed this Spring driving season to break the motor in while the days are cool.

I'm always reminded of the Serenity Prayer.....  Accept the things I cannot change.  This setback is simply out of my control and I have to chill out, and hope all the waiting will result in a quality product.

I started the engine today just to hear that beautiful straight eight purr!  All the gauges are functioning properly, good oil pressure,  no overheating, no water / oil leaks,  no weird squeaks or rattles.  

I do notice that If she sits for a week, I need to give the accelerator a couple of "pumps" before flipping the ignition switch to start it.  If I start it two consecutive days, it requires NO pumping at all.  It just fires right up as it should.  I think my Marvel is letting air in, or allowing the gas to run out....  don't really know.  I think that's why some guys install an electric pump in the line to "prime" the carburetor for starting.  Makes sense.

When she starts, she runs rich for about two minutes.  Then you can actually hear the engine pick up as the automatic choke pulls off and the mixture leans out.

But, this is an incredibly busy time with the family and all those springtime chores in and around the house, so I'm always running.  But the day that kit arrives, I'm going to forget all about the sprinkler system, the pH of the pool, the lawn fertilizer, the vegetable garden, the power washer, the deck stain........... I'm diving right back into the garage to finish her up!

Thanks so much for following along, and hanging in there with me as I wait to complete the final phase of my restoration.  

Hope you all have a great week, and hopefully I'll be posting real soon!

Respectfully,

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Modern fuel evaporates more easily than the fuels of 1937. What is probably happening is the fuel is evaporating out of the carburetor when it sits over time. I use an electric fuel pump to get fuel back into the carburetor if the car has been sitting over a day. That makes it easier to start without having to turn the engine over enough to allow the mechanical fuel pump to refill the carburetor. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My car can go a couple weeks before it's hard to start.  After that I have to put a couple drips down the carb.  Of course, I try no to go that long between starts.

• Like 1

Yes Gary when I am driving my 37 on tour and start it every day it does start right up. Letting it set for several weeks the ethanol fuel tends to evaporate in the carburetor so I have an oil can with fuel to fill up the float bowl before I start. A regular oil can not a pump style as I tried them and the fuel is too thin to get a good sguirt into the opening screw in the side of the Marvel carb.

Gary,

Le Barron states that they offer, "complete" interior kits.  As there are MANY varied elements of the interior, I'm curious just how complete their kit is.  For example, extra fabric for the front seat kick plates; piping for the top of the front seat; door handles; rear seat grab handles; etc.  Given your experience, I want to be very specific when I order.  However, I am not certain I can even identify every single component.  Any insight?

Neill

Hi Neill,

For my 1937 Model 48,  (2-door "trunkback" sedan) this is what I ordered from LeBaron Bonney:

Style # 37-4411 , Body #6889

1-Headliner Kit                 Fabric A-806

1-Panel Kit                        Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

1-Seat Kit                          Fabric 2-C Bedford Cord

1-Trunk Kit                        Fabric TL-25

1-Front Carpet                  Fabric F88-1

1-Rear Carpet                   Fabric F88-1

2-Sunvisors Recovering  Fabric GM220

2-Robe Rail Recovering   Fabric GM320

2-Arm Rest Recovering   Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

I used their recovering service for my sunvisors, robe rails (Fabric covered ropes behind the seats) and the front seat arm rest/door pull.

The kit as I ordered it was very complete and had all welting, nails, tacks....  

I hope that helps you out.  

Gary

I bought my interior kit for my '38 Special coupe from LeBarron Bonney. I bought all the segments just like Gary. The upholstery was installed by an upholsterer here.

It was very complete including new padding for the seats. I was completely satisfied with the outcome.

On May 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Gary W said:

Hi Neill,

For my 1937 Model 48,  (2-door "trunkback" sedan) this is what I ordered from LeBaron Bonney:

Style # 37-4411 , Body #6889

1-Headliner Kit                 Fabric A-806

1-Panel Kit                        Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

1-Seat Kit                          Fabric 2-C Bedford Cord

1-Trunk Kit                        Fabric TL-25

1-Front Carpet                  Fabric F88-1

1-Rear Carpet                   Fabric F88-1

2-Sunvisors Recovering  Fabric GM220

2-Robe Rail Recovering   Fabric GM320

2-Arm Rest Recovering   Fabric 2-N Bedford Cord

I used their recovering service for my sunvisors, robe rails (Fabric covered ropes behind the seats) and the front seat arm rest/door pull.

The kit as I ordered it was very complete and had all welting, nails, tacks....  

I hope that helps you out.  

Gary

Many thanks for the assistance.

Neill

• Like 1

Gary,

Any word from Le Baron Bonney about the replacement kit yet?   We hope that it won't be too long as summer is here.  You should be cruzin now and enjoying the Buick.

I can't wait to see you back at it as your thread is one of my favorites.

Randy

• Like 3

I really appreciate everyone being so patient.  This delay is KILLING me!!!!  No word from LBB.  I know others are getting kits delivered, but I guess not the same Brown Bedford Cord fabric.

I'm seriously ready to build a wood "seat", bolt it down and get driving!  The Buick is registered for its first car show at Monmouth Park on July 8.  I'm beginning to doubt if I'll make it.

Thanks for hanging in there......... don't know what else to say.

Gary

• Like 1

Gary I here you... The machine shop in New York has my 1925 Standard engine done except is waiting for pistons from ROSS. That was a month ago. The have had the engine since mid September last.

• Like 1

In a million years I would have NEVER thought that fabric was going to be the road block to my build. 

There are so many aspects of a full restoration that can go wrong and really slow you up.  But aside from some minor hiccups, the entire restoration went exceedingly well.

Unfortunately, this is a huge hiccup!

Gary

• Like 1

My 36 Buick Model 48 was a one off year. The delays have been having to remanufacture body parts by hand. I am in year 5. The good news is, I am no longer working a day job and this project could seriously get finished this year. 😮

• Like 1