Video Library of CJE

Frantz

I don't remember if I suggested this before, or if it was just in my head. Have we ever considered recording some of the CJE courses, or even making a class specifically for video of some of the CJE topics? I know CJE is one of my absolute favorite parts of judging as the instructors are top notch and their knowledge is impressive. I don't know that anyone would be hurt by having some of these videos on youtube for both judges and general owners to have access to in order to better everyones experience. Maybe even just start with judging school recorded. I'll be some folks nervous to try judging would realize they can do it if they had a little more exposure. Just trying to think of way to expand involvement and knowledge!

• Like 2

Well that's embarrassing! It's not even on page two yet. Is there any reason that anyone can think not to convert a class into a video? I guess what I'm thinking is to start by asking permission of the instructor to record their class and then convert the topic into a video class taking advantage of media that's not realistic in the CJE environment. Sorta reinventing the wheel. Giving credit the the folks who have put the information together of course, but providing a more polished product for online review and education. Perhaps I'll simply give it a try this year and see if any objections crop up. I'm not an AV kid, but I can figure out some basic editing stuff. Instructors, no need to wear makeup just yet!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes!  this would be great to have so that even if you don't get the extra CJE credits, you can still brush up or learn when away from the shows.  Our teachers really are fantastic and having a small camera recording what they say and show should hopefully not be a big deal at all.  I really hope we can do this :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Frantz said:

I'll be at Charlotte, Huntington, Independence, and Hershey this year and can have my camera to record live sessions if it's wanted. Just let me know.

Doug,

I think your idea is great.  Personally I believe you should go ahead and video some CJEs as a learning curve if you will.  Steve noted (and I know from past experience working with him that he has a lot on his plate especially just after the Annual Meeting) that he needs some time before tackling this.  This would give you some time to record a few CJEs, obtain input from judges on the Forum as to what they see to improve it, and so on.  It would give Steve and the Committee some initial ground work to digest and improve for the final product.

My 2 cents and thank you for your initiative.

Peter J.

• Like 1

Sure, I think it's good to start with just having the video footage of classes. As we develop that we can expand to have additional footage and bits of information that you have trouble showing in a class sitting around a table. I mean, in full development it could go as far as a multiple hour history lesson on a given topic! I would totally love a documentary on tires tyres tars. I grew up loving the history channel (before it was all about Aliens on Thanksgiving). It has potential to something we offer as a benefit even outside of AACA events and to the car community and industrial history folks as a whole (which is good press for the club)

It occurred to me, if Ford has become a "mobility company" we can be a "media organization"

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

I think this is a great idea, and am fine with my Chassis CJE being recorded and posted if national decides it's worthwhile.  (I will be at the Southeastern Spring Meet in Charlotte and Central Spring Meet in Auburn.)  More importantly, as a judge, I would appreciate very much being able to view other CJE instructors' presentations in order to learn from them and improve my judging knowledge.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added first two meets I'll be attending this year. (see edit history)

I for one am extremely pleased to see this gaining some traction.  I can recall years ago speaking at a meet, perhaps Philly even, about looking ahead to what technology can offer.  I believed then (and now) that some of our seminars from Philly can be available on-line, and of course CJEs are a prime candidate.  Through the wonders of technology they could be offered as live video recordings, or even as webinars done with powerpoint.  There are programs available that would even enable us to offer them on-line and you could get credit.  I use it at work all the time.  I think the natural way to try and organize this is to focus on prioritizing the CJEs you'll want available with the most important first.   Naturally Tires comes to mind.  Judges etiquite, team captains, and I'm sure others could follow.  My Model T CJE would be somewhere in the nice-to-have category, but I'm ready when you are! 

Terry

• Like 1

My Model T CJE would be somewhere in the nice-to-have category, but I'm ready when you are! 

Your class would be better than nice to have! We'd be able to incorporate multiple shows, even doing some footage outside of judging events! You're knowledge is awesome, but only so many examples show up at a given show. Seeing examples ahead would be great and add to the live walk around experience of your class.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got our feet wet! Did a recording of "Basic Engines" and Marion has been good enough to volunteer to do a better "studio" voice recording and send me her prepared slide show. So with a mix of the stock footage I got and her voice recording and slide show I'm hoping we'll be able to put something together! It's slow and I apologize for that, but by end of year we should have it. Hershey is when we have set up for a better audio mix. I'll be at the WV show, and possibly National show and hope to have better sound recording equipment by then.

• Like 2