San Diego garage

Guest C65Ranchero

Guest C65Ranchero

I am located in San Diego Ca.  I am looking to rent a garage for my 65 Ranchero.  Does anyone know of anyone who has a one or two car garage? 

Excellent idea, Car Freak.

A friend of mine rents one of two spaces

in a widow's 2-car garage.  Whereas garages

here normally rent for at least $50 per month,

they worked out a $25/month deal.

I'd only suggest that you rent the right-most bay,

so the homeowner doesn't open her car door into

the side of your car!

26 minutes ago, CarFreak said:

Back in the day, I would put the word out through senior centers, churches and such places that older people may hang out.  Maybe even a center for the blind.  Good chances you'll find someone with extra garage space.

Having done that 40 years ago, I suggest posting 4x6 cards emphasizing that you seek collector car storage with infrequent in/out, AND that you maintain insurance on your car to be stored.  It's harder to find garage owners willing to accommodate work-on privileges, so if you won't be doing that, say so on the card.

Love the garage rents in Pennsylvania--in the SF Bay Area expect to pay a minimum of $100, maybe more.  Yes I used to pay $5/month for garages, but that was a LONG time ago.

Also be prepared to spend some time "visiting" with widowed owners who appreciate the human contact.

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

...Love the garage rents in Pennsylvania--in the SF Bay Area expect to pay a minimum of $100, maybe more. ...

$50/month might require some searching, but it's available.

One of the garages I use at that rate is even heated.

It makes it much easier to be an antique car hobbyist

having more than one or two cars!

If one has some extra land, a long-term alternative

is to put up a metal building or a pole barn.

I suspect Mr. Ranchero probably lives too close to the city 

for that alternative, however.

And this part of Pennsylvania is full of old-car fans,

due maybe in part to the affordability of the hobby.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

"

I'd only suggest that you rent the right-most bay,

so the homeowner doesn't open her car door into

the side of your car!"

That reminded me.  After a string of countless vehicles dad had a 15 Ford roadster in the late Thirties, early Forties. (it cost him $5)  During WWII he signed up for active duty (he was in the reserves) and found a farmer who allowed him to store the Ford in his barn across the end of one bay.  The story goes.  The farmer would pull his vehicle in until he hit the fender or running on the Ford.  There still is a bit of damage on the edges.  Luckily he must have ease in each time rather than full force. 

And I always left a couple notes in the car "I belong to: xxxxxxxx   My phone number is: xxxxxxx" just in case something happened to the homeowner. 

Sometimes the garages were shared but most of the time I was getting sole access as the widows didn't drive.  That was nice to be the only one with a key. 

12 hours ago, ted sweet said:

geeze going rate here is 150 per month

Ted, where are you located?  Probably an urban area

where garages are harder to find and storage barns

are impossible to construct.

I would have fewer cars--or barely be involved in the hobby--

if prices were so high where I live.  Why buy a $7000 car,

for example, if you're going to pay $2000 a year just to store it!

On January 11, 2017 at 6:59 PM, CarFreak said:

Back in the day, I would put the word out through senior centers, churches and such places that older people may hang out.  Maybe even a center for the blind.  Good chances you'll find someone with extra garage space.

Doesn't hurt to ask many (all) of your friends & family members, too.  Sometimes, they'll know someone who can help you out more than you could ever imagine.... ;)

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Isn't that the way they say it goes?" | Jim Croce | 'Operator'

• Like 1

Guest C65Ranchero

Thanks for all your replies to my post! Unfortunately I still haven't found anything to rent yet.  I am close to the city so unfortunately everyone has their garages packed with things and park their cars in their driveway.  Miss living more in the country where people have big barns for classic cars! 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Ted, where are you located?  Probably an urban area

where garages are harder to find and storage barns

are impossible to construct.

I would have fewer cars--or barely be involved in the hobby--

if prices were so high where I live.  Why buy a $7000 car,

for example, if you're going to pay $2000 a year just to store it!

upstate ny where property taxes are very high

I have to chuckle ..... some folks are so hesitant to say where they reside, as in a town name, not asking for a street address.

Good God folks, no one is going to pop the lock on your garage or steal the safe from your house.

I visualize folks constantly looking over their shoulders, to the left, then to the right ..... as they walk quickly, with their sunglasses on, their collars turned up, and the brim of their hat covering their forehead.

Are there that many folks, wandering around here, in the Witness Protection Program ?