Anti Lock Brake Lamp

Steve2150

My 1990 I changed the accumulator about 3 years ago from Amazon, original equipment old stock. Lately I noticed when I start the car sometimes the anti lock brake light stays on. But if I pump the brake pedal a few times before starting the anti lock brake lamp goes out normally. Any ideas? While driving the lamp does not come on only when starting car.

37 minutes ago, Steve2150 said:

My 1990 I changed the accumulator about 3 years ago from Amazon, original equipment old stock. Lately I noticed when I start the car sometimes the anti lock brake light stays on. But if I pump the brake pedal a few times before starting the anti lock brake lamp goes out normally. Any ideas? While driving the lamp does not come on only when starting car.

I assume you mean the yellow ABS light is what stays on... correct?  When you start the car does the red brake warning light come on? And then go out after the pump runs a few seconds to build pressure as it should?

I'm trying t make a connection between pumping the brakes before starting how that would cause the yellow ABS light to go out. The only thing I can think of that pumping the brake pedal would do before starting car is it would cause the brake fluid level in the reservoir to rise. Could your brake fluid be low enough to trip the low brake fluid level switch?

This might help with checking fluid levels: Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling Instructions

1 hour ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Yes, you are correct.

Water is not compressible. If the fluid is x-unknown years old, leaky OEM calipers, cap seal, etc. lets in water. The pump will cavitate old, watery fluid, and give false readings to EBCM. Pumping 25 full strokes will move fluid around, maybe shifting enough to obtain a better reading upon POST.

:o

overmyhead.jpg

• Like 1

Water is not compressible but boils at a lot lower temperature than brake fluid & brakes can get rather warm (like rotors glowing a bright cherry red after a hard stop from speed. Steam is compressible.

• Like 1

Thought I knew something about GM models, but from the Buick badged locomotive above, I have obviously overlooked the early 20th Century rail running Reatta.

Back to the ABS light query; I suggest dirty contacts, or sticky pressure switch, or relay as the most likely cause.

• Like 1