What is proper way to set valve lash on 455?

I am about to put my recently machined heads back on a 71 455. The heads do not have adjustable valves like a chevy. As far as I can tell I just torque down the two bolts on each set of valves and thats it? Are there any tricks to this it sounds too easy. Should I rotate each cylinder to TDC before torquing the bolts or can I do it with the valves open?

Yep. thats the way to do it when there is no adjustment mechanisms. I AM ASSUMEING <BR>HYDRAULIC lifters of course. U CAN double check the lifter compatability tho. This mite be outlined in your manual. Basicly, assuming a chevy firing order of 18436572 u would follow the chevy dirctions for adjustment. BUT instead of adjustment u will only be checking the range of movement of the lifter piston which needs to fall within a certain range. if the range is not met then u will need to go longer or shorter pushrods.

clarification: NO adjustment available = just torque them down along with the head bolt pattern. I assume these r rocker shafts and not studs???

Rather than get into all the details I would advise you or anyone else to take advantage of a TON of material that is out there on this engine. Shop manual's for 71 have a very detailed engine rebuilding section ad will provide you with a lot of useful information. There are also many, many articles, publications etc. on tricks, better components, etc. to make your engine perform better if that is the case. Olds in the 70's produced their own seperate booklets on how to "blueprint" the W cars.<P>I guess what I am trying to say is that there are just some basic things you need to do and having a shop manual is one of them...they are not expensive.

Guest Dave Wyatt

When torquing down the rocker pedastals, it's safest to have the lifters off the lobe and then take each pair down equally. You tighten one down and then the other, and they will break. Your basic Motors manual has the info.