- I've always wondered how much Icon Derelicts gouged their customers...

Guest 1950_Buick

Guest 1950_Buick

Not sure if anyone has seen Jay Leno feature some of this guys builds, but I just got the sense he must charge through the ying yang. 

As I have a '50 Buick, I like to check out what's for sale on Ebay and I saw this for a mere $397k!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Buick-R...m=282317313543

he's got the link to the videos/articles in his auction

Edited by MrEarl
Remove inappropriate euphemism from title (see edit history)

Counterculture stuff works that way. If the In group is ticky tacking their driveway with Velsheda's made from BMW coupes the "nonconformist" will do the in-your-face opposite thing and spend the same money. It's a Bespoke Buick.

Putting it on Ebay where you have been selling your old shoes, golf clubs, and unwanted Christmas gifts is the lame thing to do, gauche!

Bernie

21 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Just another way of saying "I have so much money I can piss it away and you can't". ..................Bob

Here I sit with five cars listed in my signature and you have six. Now I'm crushed.

Would you, maybe, like to make it seven?

Bernie

15 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Would you, maybe, like to make it seven?

Counting my daily drivers, tractor, camper , car trailer, horse trailer, and ATV that's...........50 tires and 13 batteries. Do you REALLY think I want another? If someone would make me an even semi reasonable offer they would all go save the 39 Chevy PU, Dodge diesel PU,  and tractor. Oy Vey. What the Hell was I thinking.............Bob

"Price gouging" is a relative term!  It's not "gouging" if The TWO (or more) Parties involved agree upon it FIRST!   WE might not spend that kind of money, but others in our society might.  If they're going to spend that money, somewhere, then somebody needs to do them a great job in the process. 

Some people always like "sleepers", and some might claim that putting those old "derelict" bodies on a modern aftermarket chassis Is "progress", but as much as I like "upgraded factory" vehicles, it looks to me like they did only HALF of the job.  Make those bodies and ride heights be as close to factory original as possible while also on those aftermarket chassis contraptions!

Seeing "a junker" pull up next to me at a red light, then smoking the tires just makes me think somebody cobbled in a modern V-8 into an antiquated chassis, which can equal "death trap" to me.  But if a fully restored and modernized older car pulls up and does the same thing, I know that they, at least, tried to look the part (regardless of how flaky or great the not-seen engineering might be).  But why choose an aftermarket chassis when there are plenty of GM chassis of the correct (or similar) wheelbases out there???  In our modern society, it seems that "plug and play" aftermarket items are so much more-desired than factory OEM items (without the larger price tag!) which, themselves, receive some upgrades as a part of the normal refurbishment process in making them useable again. 

The more money one spends on something, especially if they had somebody else to do the work, the allegedly-perceived "better" it is.  Yet there is a "happy sweet spot" between $$$$$ spent and work received.  Yes, I've seen places where that has been true and also places where unknowing consumers spent $$$$ from allegedly knowledgeable "sales people"/enthusiasts that under-delivered on all counts, in the end.  Sometimes, those that know "lots" are harder to find than those who know "everything" (and readily tell you so), unfortunately.  Sometimes, as in other (social) contracts, it take "the second time" to really get what you desire OR need.

As an extension of "the most wins" . . . 8 A-C cylinders, 36 GMC cylinders, 6 Chevy cylinders . . . prior to 1954 vintage.  All "inliners".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

I'd forgotten about it until just now...about twenty years ago, a local club member where I lived at the time was working on a re-body project. If I recall, it was a 1956 Mercury and it fit almost perfectly on a 70s or 80s Lincoln chassis. That way he got more modern chassis and A/C with the vintage look. Of course, he was doing this essentially himself. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I have more liters in my garage than the local Coke distribution center.

And I forgot to mention the tractor. Guess what the bucket is for scoopin'.

Previous owner at the wheel.

010.JPG

Yup. That there is fer loaden the Honey Wagon. And that Honey sure do make the corn grow fer corn squeezins. Mmmmmmm. White Whiskey. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1