My new 1990 Convertible

lancemb

Here it is!  Fresh from Minneapolis.  24k miles on a one owner trade in to a Buick dealer.  It's a bit dusty from the drive in these pics.  I am happy with it; it's the real deal.  Everything works (I think), it appears to have original paint, and original binder is present with build signatures as well as window sticker.

That said, it has a few minor issues:

- One headlight has been crappily repainted.  Looks fine from 10 ft though.  Also a couple large chips in hood, one on door edge, and small crack on lip of one front fender.  Everything else is pretty much cosmetically perfect.

- Engine light comes on when sitting still idling, but didn't come on whole time I was driving otherwise, just when it idles in park a few minutes.  Any clue on this?  I haven't checked codes yet.

- Speakers are rattley and a couple pop in and out.

- Tires appear very likely to be original based on tread life and stiffness of rubber on treads.  I'll check the date codes when I get a chance.  And I drove this thing at 80-90 mph!  Yikes.  Won't be going far in it again until these are replaced.

- Will probably need either front struts and/or strut mounts based on some sqeaking and squishing I heard.

So did I do well?  In all I think I did okay.  There can't be many left this original and low-mileage.

20170108_115537.jpg20170108_115552.jpg20170108_115559.jpg20170108_115614.jpg20170108_115918.jpg20170108_115819.jpg20170108_115953.jpg20170108_115858.jpg20170108_115724.jpg20170108_115650.jpg20170108_115801.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you got a good one, I have a black/red coupe and it is a nice combination.   The tires are probably the originals as that brand and type came on the car new.   The only thing that jumped out at me is the red paint on the alternator, it has probably been changed.

There were a total of 307 Black convertibles made,  55 had red interior, 54 of those had black tops.   Don't know how many had the 16 way seat option but it was around 50% for all cars and convertibles were a little higher.

Send me the vin number and I will add it to the database

• Like 2

30 Black/Garnet Red convertibles had the 16-way seat option.

It seems the convertible Barney mentioned that was not equipped with a black top left the factory with a white vinyl top. I can't imagine how anyone thought that looked good when it ordered by a dealer.. 

• Like 1

Nicely played sir. Very clean, even the stock wheels look good (in terms of condition of the finish). I personally don't care for black cars only because of the effort needed to keep the paint looking top notch. They do look nice, but are hard to keep that way. My own preferences notwithstanding, it is a very sharp combination. If you don't care for the stock wheels, this car would look excellent with chrome wheels (see another currently active thread here on the subject). Enjoy this, it is a somewhat rare opportunity to find such a nice one that isn't a high-priced garage queen.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I love that color combination. My 'vert is Black/Tan which to me is the best. The Black/Red is the next best. I never liked my Black's interior... Dark Gray. It's OK but not as dramatic as the Red.

Yeah, my first convertible was black/saddle.  I love that combo; my daily driver Mustang is also black/saddle!

Really nice car. Frankly suspect that the condition is more important than the age of a tire & garage kept is best. However if you must ask the PC answer is no more than six years (remember having some Michelin X-1 tires that had no age or mileage limit, just wear).

That must be low miles, my recollection of the Eagles was that they were all done on our 90 Bonne at 20k miles.

9 hours ago, padgett said:

Really nice car. Frankly suspect that the condition is more important than the age of a tire & garage kept is best. However if you must ask the PC answer is no more than six years (remember having some Michelin X-1 tires that had no age or mileage limit, just wear).

That must be low miles, my recollection of the Eagles was that they were all done on our 90 Bonne at 20k miles.

6 years seems a bit over cautious, but 27 is definitely too much.  The rubber dries out as a function of time even if garaged and becomes prone to cracking and separating. 

On these ones, I can tell the rubber is hard just feeling it with my hand, and it shows in the ride quality as well!  Definitely not safe, especially at high speeds.

• Like 1

Since you need tires, now is the time to decide whether to replace the stock ones or put the originals and wheels in big baggies and go to something like a 225x60x16 on a 16x7 wheel. Have always thought the latter suited the Reatta better.

225/60/16 @60mph = 59.1mph with 215/60/16 (std tire on '91 Reatta)

225/60/16 @70mph = 68.9mph with 215/60/16 ("                              ")

225/60/16 makes 758 revolutions per mile

215/60/16 makes 771 revolutions per mile

Data source = www.tire-size-conversion.com

• Like 2

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Since you need tires, now is the time to decide whether to replace the stock ones or put the originals and wheels in big baggies and go to something like a 225x60x16 on a 16x7 wheel. Have always thought the latter suited the Reatta better.

Yes I've thought about that.   I think I'll keep the originals, especially since they are in such great condition.  If the clearcoat was crappy I'd consider something else.  Plus, I'm used to them suiting the car...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

Very nice ... looks great, even with the minor issues 

4 hours ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

Thanks!  Just noticed today a very small ding in hood I hadn't seen, but no biggie.

l also noticed the exhaust smells like it's burning old varnished gas, even though I ran 2 fresh tanks through it on the way home.  I think I'm going to run it bone dry, then refill.  I guess this thing with such low miles sat a lot on a partial tank and probably never really purged.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

For every 1 gallon of gasoline- add 1 ounce of acetone to tank. It will help clean out old, and it will not harm any components at that concentration. Acetone, not nail polish remover.

Is there some kind of fuel system cleaner that would also help in this case?  I'm thinking it can't hurt...