Question on changing parts on judging field

llskis

Plan on going to the meet@Bettendorf IA in Aug.. I have an original type battery(Restoration Battery) that is a perfect

looking type for the car. Problem is that it is old and can barely start the car now. Question: can I drive

the car onto the show field with a new none original battery type then "change-out" the battery for judging

purposes on the judging field?? If not can I put a "battery box" on the original one to drive onto the field; then take it off before judging?? Thanks in Advance--Larry

Yeah, lots of folks do that and the judges know it. Kind of silly isn't it. If that's allowed why make the owner go through the trouble of actually changing the battery. Might as well just let the guy display the "correct" battery by the left front tire (which by the way is most likely  modern a repro tire).

That said, if you peel all the logo stickers off of the new battery, pry off the two top hole covers, and place the fill caps from your repro battery in the holes it will pass inspection. At least I have two Grand Nat winners that did.

Hint. You will have to grind the threads of the caps down to make them fit in the holes.....................Bob

• Like 2

Well the car is the museum while on the showfield, so it's not just for the judges, but for the many more folks walking through the show. I understand trying to win an award, but the award is for representing a period. Many more people than a few judges will be looking at the car. While on the road it's a different view. While on the showfield you have the hood open and lights turned off, and not moving. 

10 hours ago, Frantz said:

Well the car is the museum while on the showfield, so it's not just for the judges, but for the many more folks walking through the show. I understand trying to win an award, but the award is for representing a period. Many more people than a few judges will be looking at the car. While on the road it's a different view. While on the showfield you have the hood open and lights turned off, and not moving. 

Good point. On the other hand the many folks viewing would get the impression that antique cars came from the factory painted with two stage paint, that horrible rattle can cadmium plating, and did not have safety plate glass.......... I'm just saying....................Bob