VALE EDGAR BOWEN

Max BURKE

Sadly I must inform our group of Huppers that our friend and Hupmobile enthusiast Edgar BOWEN surcommed to acute respitary problems this week . He had spent Christmas with family members in Brisbane where he was taken ill and admitted to hospital but he could not be saved. My memory is that Edgar was eighty one.We will miss his helpfull tips on Hup 20 repairs. Max BURKE  Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Thanks Max 

That's really sad news . I was and still am in awe of his Hupmobile knowledge. A couple of times  on recent trips to Queensland I debated making the  pilgrimage  to his home town to  talk  early Hupps and poke around his cars and garage   but never got there -  Karl 

Edgar was a font of Hupmobile knowledge. I'm glad he took the time to post his experiences and advice. Here is one of Edgar's postings from 2015. R.I.P.:

Hi Edgar here,

Hupp 20s have tricks and traps for the unwary in their clutch design. As Max said mine was slipping more than usual until it finally didn't work at all. The unit which holds the plates broke at the clutch release bearing, causing lots of mischief. I fitted a needle roller bearing in place of the brass shims which worked well. However I failed to notice that this spigot was already warn badly from previous brass washers, so the needle bearing rolled around the spigot and eventually parted it off as clean as a lathe leaving the gear box oil heavily polluted with powdered iron. All four of my spare clutches were similarly worn, so I had the worst one built up with nickel bronze at red hot temperature and cooled very slowly in lime.

I also have a needle bearing fitted between the clutch drum and crankcase so the engine doesn't stall when de-clutching at idling speed. These bearings are far better than brass and fibre washers.

I found it easiest to drop the rear axle and undo the gearbox from the engine rather than lifting out the whole power unit. Here is a word of warning; because the clutch unit as a whole forms the rear journal of the crankshaft. Do not attempt to remove it from the engine to work on the clutch. Instead undo the 10 round slotted bolts after cutting out the wire which runs through each of their heads. If the wire is not bent at all, make up a jig to put the bolts in so that each one goes back into its original place otherwise you have to refit each one with washers so the holes for the tie wire, line up when you put it back together. Otherwise you will never get the wire back through them again. Because of the very strong spring inside, you need to take out 3 bolts and replace them with high tensile rods 3 inches long with 5/16 UNF thread and nuts screwed down to the clutch unit. Then remove all the other bolts with a short ratchet screw driver. Gradually undo the nuts on the threaded rods in turn until the unit comes undone.

Inside the heavy spring impinges on a race of ball bearings in a brass holder. If this ball race is worn out it is easy to make a replacement. Just turn a new brass holder on the lather and bore a series of holes in it to hold new steel balls. Make the holes exactly the same size as the balls. Place the balls in the brass one at a time and crimp them in place with a steel hole punch (slightly bigger than the balls) on both sides of the brass ring.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I too was very sorry to learn of Edgar's passing.  He was enthusiastic and very supportive when I obtained my Hupmobile and provided information and advice.  I am attaching a couple of low res pics that Edgar sent me of the trip he did in his Model 20 from Gympie to Sydney and return (for non Australian's that is a considerable distance) - I suspect he sent them to me by way of encouragement as to the potential reliability and drive-ability of these vehicles ( I love all his luggage strapped to the fender / mudguard!).

RIP Edgar and condolences to his friends and family.

Regards to all,

Andrew. 

2.JPG

9.JPG

Edited by 1912Minerva (see edit history)
  • Like 1

G;day Huppers.  During the above mentioned tour on the third day the temperature reached 42 degrees. Edgar didn't stay in luxury accomodation as many did, He had his tent and camp equip tied onto the Hup. On the long decent heading into Gloucester he spied some young folk cooling off in a creek. He quickly parked the Hup and stripped to his jocks and jumped in with them. Our Newcastle Group of the Veteran CC were waiting for Edgar and we went out to meet him. We spent the rest of the afternoon in Johns pool .The couple of days that Edgar spent with Joan and I brought a cool change and showers. On ringing Nan to let her know that Edgar was safe with us Nan' s advise to Joan was put the hose on him before you let him inside and pick up his clothes with a stick!. We led Edgar out of our town and on the back road to the finish in Sydney. As he left it was raining quite steadily . Guess who took a wrong turn and ran out of petrol in the harbour tunnell. You guessed it Our Man Edgar

Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia