What should I count on needing at some point for my newly acquired Reatta?

lancemb

I had a Reatta convertible as a daily driver years ago.  I bought it with just over 100k and sold it with about 133k about 15 years ago.  The car was in superb condition when I bought it and when I sold it and never had any problems with it during that time, except for the rear window coming apart due to top shrinkage.

I am about to get another one this weekend (1990 convertible) with very low mileage and as far as I know (buying out of state based on pictures and description only) it doesn't need anything right now.

However, as I drive it and it ages, what things are characteristic of these cars to worry about?  I know when the top weatherstripping goes bad there is no replacement, the headlights can get wonky, and that the visor clips and horn buttons are fragile.

Any other parts that tend to be problematic?

Edited by lancemb
Typo (see edit history)

The Headlight Switch, Instrument Cluster, Temperature Control, Brake Accumulator Ball, Brake Pressure Switch, Front ABS leads.

These are parts that may not be problematic but are discontinued and becoming more rare. Build an inventory of them and include them with your car when that day comes that you sell it. The cars may not appreciate in value but I think parts will.

Sometimes cleaning the temp control will fix it. How To Clean 1990 Climate Control Panel

United Radio - IPC Repair

Work on a multitude of factory equipment, including car stereos, cd players and changers, AM/FM cassettes, odometers, and speedometers. you can reach us by phone (toll-free) at 800-448-0944 with any questions about our services.

Nationwide Speedometer and Instrument Cluster Repair

We Can Repair Most Any Problem in Any Speedometer or Instrument Cluster. email:customerservice@southernelectronics.com or call:1-800-446-2880

Digital Dash Solutions

DIGITAL DASH SOLUTIONS offers full support, service & sales for most GM instrument clusters. My repair service is backed by 25 years of experience with automotive electrical systems. Phone: 1-860-583-0629 Email: digital_dash_solutions@comcast.net

Dave covered most of the part......a 1990 Service manual will be very helpful if you have a problem.  You can find used ones on Ebay and new ones at Helminc.com

Unless you can find service information that show it being done....FLUSH THE BRAKE FLUID  this can be cheap insurance against a costly brake problem.

I just flushed the power steering fluid on my 2007 Lucerne and was amazed at the rotten condition...dirty and evidence of metallic particles... when we get a weather break, I will do the Reatta and get the 25 year old fluid out of it.

• 2 months later...
On Wednesday, January 04, 2017 at 5:46 PM, DAVES89 said:

The Headlight Switch, Instrument Cluster, Temperature Control, Brake Accumulator Ball, Brake Pressure Switch, Front ABS leads.

These are parts that may not be problematic but are discontinued and becoming more rare. Build an inventory of them and include them with your car when that day comes that you sell it. The cars may not appreciate in value but I think parts will.

Do you know the GM part numbers for the Instrument Cluster, Temperature Control, Brake Pressure Switch, and Front ABS leads?

Thanks

NOS ABS leads are essentially non-existent. Don't bother looking, that carcass has been picked over many times already. Your options are:

find a good used lead from a salvage yard car (not so easy, as they are very difficult to remove intact in most cases) and depending on the conditions where the car was operated most of it life, the insulation on the coaxial lead will be shot. Front leads different from those used in back, having different lead lengths and grommets. 

get refurbished leads from Dave (who has already posted in this thread, above) as he does a very good job of salvsging used leads and repairing the insulation with high grade heat shrink. 

Or, get leads for other cars that are still available new. Several models by Saab in the early to mid 1990's used similar leads, BUT they have longer barrels than those used on the Reatta, and the mounting screw holes are not in the same position. A spacer/adapter can be made and utilized to work around this of you are resourceful. This is the advanced level solution, though if you can swing it, will save you some $$$.

As for the other parts, a new IPC probably hasn't existed in 20 years. Sure, maybe someone socked one away somewhere. Unless they offer it for sale somewhere you'll actually see it, it's a moot point. Working spares can be found without too much trouble, and failed ones can be sent for repair. There is precious little still around in NOS parts for these cars, and much of what is has been packed away by owners who have been into these cars for years now.

I would be among those who have stockpiled some NOS goodies, and I have comparatively little by what I know of others efforts to that end. Some have been into these cars since they were new, and have been setting stuff aside all along. Sometimes this stuff ends up for sale if an owner decides to liquidate their stash for some reason, but it is hit or miss. Point being, don't count on finding any of this stuff new, and if you do it is a rare bonus.

• Like 1