Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project

Elpad

If you look closely, the previous owner ruined the molding by drilling 3 hole through it and installing a 60 style mirror. The holes on the door were filled and looking for someone to repair the molding. I believe the holes on stainless steel could also be spot weld or fill, does anybody can input some ideas. I already drill holes for the new original type mirror that mounts on the window frame. Pictures will follow.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, Elpad said:

If you look closely, the previous owner ruined the molding by drilling 3 hole through it and installing a 60 style mirror. The holes on the door were filled and looking for someone to repair the molding. I believe the holes on stainless steel could also be spot weld or fill, does anybody can input some ideas. I already drill holes for the new original type mirror that mounts on the window frame. Pictures will follow.

Have you tried to find a replacement molding?  That would be much easier.  I'll bet there's one to be found...

5 hours ago, lancemb said:

Have you tried to find a replacement molding?  That would be much easier.  I'll bet there's one to be found...

I keep trying but can’t find that particular one. I had a spare parts car but was a model 52 which doors are slightly longer

Got lucky with a “Factory Engineered” NOS molding for the rear door that was damage. You can spot the damage by the shadows on the old molding. Amazing that these still around, jus take a closer look at the paper wrapping on the new part.

AE8A3673-04BD-4F14-89F3-1D477E3235F4.jpeg

7A629D19-01AA-4D51-B4E3-44AC4FF59198.jpeg

• Like 1

Rest of dash is painted in second shade color which is kind of a pewter silver gray which makes contrast with top of dash which is like a dark green gray. It is hard to see with natural light inside the car but when you compare on the sunlight it really makes a difference. Both colors are original color duplicated from the old paint. The paint supplier exercised his computer matching skills and came out with a formula which was  packaged in these type of spray containers that have all ingredients to include the clear coat. Amazing technology. I might be preaching to the choir but interesting anyways.

F10ABCC6-EB79-4E31-828A-98F381E13C80.jpeg

A92CE4FC-CE8B-4100-8722-FABC9500D13F.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Elpad said:

which was  packaged in these type of spray containers that have all ingredients to include the clear coat. Amazing technology. I might be preaching to the choir but interesting anyways

Tell us more.  At least info to search.

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-coat/

this is the clear coat spray however some local paint houses have a machine that incorporate your color into it. The disadvantage is that once you activate it (punch in the red cap through the bottom of the can) you have to use the entire can however; last time I went to a paint supplier they came with another spray with all the professional ingredients that you can re-use as needed just like a regular cheap spray paint can.

• Like 1

Playing ahead, I replaced the worn and smelly fill of the front seat back cover. I used insulation material to accomplish this after sanding and painting the cover frame. Failed to take a picture of the other side which is black durable vinyl in great condition

1276EDD8-6433-499C-BB62-A82EBFF54CB2.jpeg

387BDF69-19D9-4BDD-8326-43CA6B0B2C38.jpeg

• Like 1

I got locally quoted $25.00 a foot to polish the bright work. The price included repairs to dented, bent and scratched moldings if those conditions were present or not. Well,  so far I have save $287.50 doing the job myself. Never done it before but got the hang of it watching videos on the net. Having fun too.

FA8CCC34-6BEA-493D-A213-9C1BC4600D6E.jpeg

C36A50AF-3E64-4441-9DB9-BA31FC8C2F26.jpeg

Good news. Toby will be going to the body shop on Saturday to get some color. Painter came by the house today to inspect our preparation. He said not bad but he would like to spray two more coats of primer and block sand again from 380 dry to 600 wet grit. At least he got a great base to finish the job. So I will be trailering Saturday morning.

69A94123-5BE4-42A8-9AF6-B313BB63C109.jpeg

7DD983C1-AC00-491D-924B-09721C3AEA89.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/31/2020 at 6:40 PM, Elpad said:

Polling the audience. Looking at these, what would be the correct W/W width for the 50. 3 or 4” ?

43FFBAA4-6FB4-4F12-8743-33398582A3E4.jpeg

Ordered the 3” 

I guess 4 less inches of WW to keep clean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1