Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project

Elpad

39 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

That is so clean I don't know if I would paint it. 

39 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

That is so clean I don't know if I would paint it. 

Wrong color

27 minutes ago, Rosiesdad said:

None of the brake hoses I got from In Line Tube fit my "50. Fittings are wrong and you can't install the retaining clips! So much for "Guaranteed to fit".

Purchased the hoses locally so I could match them, the lines were all wrong and different diameter so I have to send them the originals so they could duplicate them. This is the second time it has happened. Did not learned the lesson the first time & dont know why I keep going with these guys. All good now

6 hours ago, Beemon said:

I used POR15 to seal my tank, too. Someone had claimed ethanol will separate it from the tank and plug up the in tank filter. I've got two years on mine with no issues and only feed the old girl E10.

When I removed the tank it was empty. Hard varnish residue which was cleaned with pool acid and degreaser edging the metal. Read all positive reviews on the product. Label reads resistant to fuels and alcohol products.... better be for $23.00 a pint! thanks for your feedback, confident that it will do the job

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 0:19 AM, Beemon said:

I used POR15 to seal my tank, too. Someone had claimed ethanol will separate it from the tank and plug up the in tank filter. I've got two years on mine with no issues and only feed the old girl E10.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:19 AM, Beemon said:

I used POR15 to seal my tank, too. Someone had claimed ethanol will separate it from the tank and plug up the in tank filter. I've got two years on mine with no issues and only feed the old girl

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

• Like 1

Believe it or not I got 4 grandsons and 3 granddaughters and I can only get the little girl interested on the car restoration. The boys are to busy playing games on tablets and IPhones and the older girls just want to pose with the cars. Wondering what the future holds for this hobby!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Horn ring metal polished with Blue Magic... good stuff. Plastic insert polished with Micromesh system, a German product consisting of  crystal cloth sand paper different course grades and a sealant paste. I finished with a 6000 course grain. This is used to clean aviation  plexiglass windows. This is even better stuff. The insert graphics were nearly visible due to multiple scratches. Forgot to take a before picture. Also forgot to mention the grease used.

Elbow grease, about 1 hr rubbing and polishing. Sastified with the results

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the meantime... keep detailing engine parts. Read somewhere on the forum that Mopar Turquoise engine paint was very close to the 1950 Buick color so I tried it and looks very close... do not pay attention to the can cap.. as you can see the paint is a different shade

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finishing engine bay details will post a picture to show difference when acquired. Car has been sitting a long time and started up right away. Have rebuilt carb, water pump and fuel pump installed but yet not connected. Just wanted to start to hear... little top end noise but quickly cleared with Marvel Mystery Oil ... works all the time

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

That looks real Good.  I see the paint, and the prep and the bonding agent.  What I don't see is the filler product?

69 is a good number! Go to that post #, that’s what I used but  lost the product label and all I got left is a clear tube

• 2 weeks later...

This is Neil the car donor and of course there is Lulu waiting to be loaded and taken back to Miami. Don’t know if Lulu will be a parts car to finish Toby or will she be a hard to do resto. This will be determined once inspection is done back home. 

A849C634-7DE5-472A-BDB6-868333250B3D.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Our pleasure! Believe it or not I have not touch the car since I unloaded it due to the holidays but fixing to remove parts that I need to continue to work on Toby. I will replace the two rear fenders first. Will keep you all posted 

Left rear fender off and just find out that the donor car is a Model 52 Super Riviera Sedan and Toby is just  a Super Sedan meaning it is 4” shorter total length. luckily  the rear fenders are interchangeable according to my measurements. The difference could be on rear doors and roof length. Will see

3239D145-2039-4C43-9935-8DBE490F6DFD.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Found some rust damage on trunk weatherstrip channel section. removed RR fender. Next I will remove donor car fenders that I believe are in better shape and no or very minor rust. Oh boy this I resto will take a long time!

56BAC498-0403-4405-9CE0-251C46A56573.jpeg

259374D3-3AB3-4E2F-81DB-105DD6EF74E3.jpeg